GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had anyone pull out or turn left in front of me while I rode either of my VTX1300's or my Aero 750. In the 2 weeks I drove the Wing ( not racking up any miles right now due to the broken wrist), I have had people doing these things left and right. What gives?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Expect it, Anticipate it, count on it.

If they do not, expect something worse.

It is a busy world, cell phones, work, job, home, packing too many things into a day.

You have to watch them, for sure they will not watch you.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have never had anyone pull out or turn left in front of me while I rode either of my VTX1300's or my Aero 750. In the 2 weeks I drove the Wing ( not racking up any miles right now due to the broken wrist), I have had people doing these things left and right. What gives?
Henry Ford once said that there would never be more than a million people that would be able to drive a car..Well I think he was right..We may have 200 million people behind the wheel but very few can actually keep it under control....LOL

·
Registered
814 Posts
You've been lucky in the past. It has nothing to do with the type of bike you ride - just playing catch up football. Wait a minute, did you have loud pipes on your other bikes? :roll:

·
Registered
999 Posts
I've actually had MORE people pull out in front of me while driving my Tundra pick up than my Wing, seriously. I don't get it .... knocking on wood.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
What is even more galling than people pulling out in front of me are those situations were I am the only traffic and some side street moron waits until the last moment to pull out and cut me off. Over the years I have learned to expect and prepare for it. There is a rational reason why they do it that has to do with their mental image of the overall absence of traffic.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have that problem with my dark green Dodge Dakota. And not just on the move. It's been hit in the rear at least four time in the past 2 years.
It started just after I droped the comp. insurance.
It was also parked out in the open like my 1500 which got ran over and the 750 Magna. They just weren't seen. So they say.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I think many people misjudge the speed at which the Wing is traveling compared to other traffic around. I have had a couple people look right at me and still pull out in front of me yet with no intension of pressing on the gas.

·
Registered
47 Posts
And there is no one type of driver that has no idea we are there. Men, women, young and old, I have had all types cut me off.

Consider yourself lucky if it has never happened to you.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What is even more galling than people pulling out in front of me are those situations were I am the only traffic and some side street moron waits until the last moment to pull out and cut me off. Over the years I have learned to expect and prepare for it. There is a rational reason why they do it that has to do with their mental image of the overall absence of traffic.
That's the old "I guess I can make it after all" syndrome. Really ticks me off. Had it happen just today. Wish it was legal to pop them a cpl.
Time saved (seconds) is much more valuable that risking a life. Of course those 199 million really do think they're in full control.

G

·
A couple of things to keep in mind

1. Are you varying your lane position to make yourself more visible to people on side streets? You want to be towards the center line or middle of a 2 lane road to help people from side roads see you.

2. Make sure you are not rapidly accelerating close to an intersection. Your speed should be steady and not much speed difference from the rest of the traffic flow.

3. Are you wearing any high viz clothing? Very helpful

4. What color is your helmet? Black or dark colored helmets are not visible. Your head is the highest point on your motorcycle. A White or brightly colored helmet is quite visible.

5. Cover your front brake with 2 fingers and be ready with an escape path if you need it.

Otherwise enjoy the ride
:thumbup:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Buy a HEAD LIGHT MODULATOR.
As Kit said in a previous post, some froth at the mouth at the suggestion.

As far as I am concerned it is the best $100.00 safety device invented.!

RJ

·
Registered
836 Posts

Listen, I ride in the right front seat of a 48,000 lb fire engine. It's 11'7" tall, including the 60' ladder on top, it's big and red and shiny, and it has strobe lights, super-bright LED flashing lights, wig-wag headlights, rotating beacons, and so on. It's got a Federal Q mechanical siren, a Whelen electronic siren, and 134 db air horns. The auditory warning devices are all mounted in the vicinity of the front bumper, so the sound doesn't carry over top of the cars in front of us. And on just about every run, some dumb {insert several favorite cuss words here} pulls out in front of us or in some other way demonstrates that they weren't aware we're coming right at them. My point in mentioning this? If the cagers don't see me in my fire truck, they darn sure aren't going to see me on my Gold Wing. And that "loud pipes saves lives" stuff? I have yet to hear any bike that can drown out a fire engine on the red. People are more unaware every day - they don't have a clue what's around them. They aren't even aware of the fire engine screaming toward them. I try to keep that in mind every time I ride.

If nobody pulled out in front of you on your previous bikes, consider those times to be lucky.

Giving my fire engine its new truck acceptance pump capacity test:

·
IronMan
17,798 Posts
I AGREE WITH R J :agree: BEST MONEY I SPENT ON WING PEOPLE EVEN GET OUT OF YOUR WAY BE SAFE THEY WANT YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!

·
Registered
812 Posts
On the first few weeks of wing ownership I've had quite a few cages pull out in front of me.

It seems like more than with my X, but that is completely qualitative. I suspect that the behavior is based on the expectation that ours is an old mans (i.e. slow) bike has something to do with this.

Since I rarely pull out in front of myself I am just guessing.

Jason

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I look to two issues: 1) Daytime running lights - folks are now accustom to seeing lights coming at them at all times. 2) Dual headlights - poor eyesight, hurried glances make us just look like a car that is further away. The modulators may help in both situations. I don't have them yet, but am considering the addition.

Well, a third - driving seems to be considered a right and necessary basic need today. Even those without a license due to demonstrated inability to follow the rules of the road (DUI, habitual offenders, etc.) continue to drive and their families permit or facilitate it. Seriously sight-restricted drivers either are still given a license due to a doctor's letter or a liberal judge's edict. But it isn't needed because there are so many out there without a license anyway. On a small car forum I saw a post from a guy lamenting that he had his license pulled for a year for habitual speeding. It was answered by a surprising number of other members saying that they had theirs pulled in the past also, and continued to drive.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I think the fact that now that you're riding a Wing and they're pulling out is just a coincidence.

One of the many things I got from Fred H's DVDs is using amber lens covers (from Cee Bailey's) on the fog lights. They are very unique and help with visibility, especially at dawn or dusk. Literally, they can be seen from more than a quarter mile away. Couldn't hurt, right?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have 12 lights on the front of my Wing, creeps still pull out in front of me! It is the "quick glance" looking for a 18 wheeler that would flatten them....not an 1800 that "cannot be seen" for whatever reason.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The three concepts by which I ride:

1. Maintain constant 360 degree awareness. I try to never daydream.

2. Put your bike where they cannot get you. Expect that they will not see you and act accordingly.

3. Don't get surprized. Anticipate the worst, plan for it, be ready to execute the plan.

Having said that, there is nothing at all I can do about a deer, except not to ride at night. That is my worst fear. But, if it's your time..........

1 - 20 of 36 Posts