GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5 of the bleeders on our brake and clutch hydraulics are of one model supplies to Honda by Nissin using a 10mm wrench and a slightly smaller double barbed nipple and a slightly larger bottom diameter with slightly more blunt tip. The other 3 are also by Nissin, require an 8mm wrench, have single barb on the nipple and slightly more severe angle to the sealing tip. Same thread size, same basic design. But why did Honda or Nissin use two different bleeder screw models?

prs

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
5 of the bleeders on our brake and clutch hydraulics are of one model supplies to Honda by Nissin using a 10mm wrench and a slightly smaller double barbed nipple and a slightly larger bottom diameter with slightly more blunt tip. The other 3 are also by Nissin, require an 8mm wrench, have single barb on the nipple and slightly more severe angle to the sealing tip. Same thread size, same basic design. But why did Honda or Nissin use two different bleeder screw models?

prs
To make it @$#[email protected] harder to use a vacuum bleeder is all I can figure.

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the 2012 - 2014's, they are now all 8mm.
The Honda part number for the ones with 8mm wrench size on the 2002 models is 43352-568-003, I wonder if the new bikes use the same?

prs

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
On the 2012 - 2014's, they are now all 8mm.
Fred, I have seen 2012 Wings both ways. Mine has all 8mm wrench size bleeders. I crawled on the floor like a reptile at my local dealership. Some 2012 bikes have both the 8mm & 10mm wrench size bleeders in the same locations as my 2009.
On my bike 8mm wrench sizes where they formerly had 10s on other bikes there is thread sealant. Where the 8s were on my 2009 compared to my 2012 they still have no sealant so I had to use some Teflon tape on them to use the Motion Pro bleeder :shrug:. I think there will be a mixture on some bikes because Honda doesn't waste much :nojoke:.
I know for sure they never waste 1/16" of wire anywhere :lol:. I have no idea why the old 8mm locations never had sealant applied to the threads :evil:.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Fred, I have seen 2012 Wings both ways. Mine has all 8mm wrench size bleeders. I crawled on the floor like a reptile at my local dealership. Some 2012 bikes have both the 8mm & 10mm wrench size bleeders in the same locations as my 2009.
On my bike 8mm wrench sizes where they formerly had 10s on other bikes there is thread sealant. Where the 8s were on my 2009 compared to my 2012 they still have no sealant so I had to use some Teflon tape on them to use the Motion Pro bleeder :shrug:. I think there will be a mixture on some bikes because Honda doesn't waste much :nojoke:.

True, My 2012 has both 8M and 10MM wrench size bleeders.
Lyle

·
Registered
16,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, then does logic follow that the calipers and clutch slave body would still have the same bleeder seats where the bleeders seal and that it does not make a spec of difference that the two types of bleeders have very slightly different seal tip angles and diameters. Then speed bleeders have yet another slightly different set of dimensions; talking thousands of an inch here. So, whatever the reason, maybe it does not really matter.

prs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts