GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not always but a lot of the time when I get off my 2019 GW there is a smell of burning rubber. Anyone else seem to notice this with their own bike? And does anyone have any idea where on the bike it might be coming from? I've never seen any smoke or found anything made of rubber/plastic burnt on the bike.

Reactions: Tigerkf

·
Registered
2019 Red/Black Tour DCT airbag
1,019 Posts
I get it too but not every ride. Many have reported it in these forums but I don't think there has been a definitive answer as to the cause. It seems quite common but appears to be harmless.

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Brand new bikes will smell like melting plastic for a few months. Every Goldwing I have had new from the showroom floor would smell bad after a long ride. Even my 2018 that technically was not new off the showroom floor (had 300 miles) had it, but it vanished a little quicker than the others.

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Also check this nipple and see if there is any fluid that has been dripping out of it. View attachment 410944
db this is very nice of you to take your time, and snap these pictures for the poster (y) :love:
edit: sorry I didn't mean to step in to someone's else post....BUT I did want to place credit when a credit was due:cool:

Ronnie
11/20.22

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
I get it too, in hot days ride. Sometimes more then other days. Maybe all hoses are coated with rubber protection coating. Or, just chemicals burning off. I had check with my bore scope many times, all around and nothing.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
If running darkside with a trailer hitch you might get some minor rubbing when hitting bumps, compressing the suspension.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Not always but a lot of the time when I get off my 2019 GW there is a smell of burning rubber. Anyone else seem to notice this with their own bike? And does anyone have any idea where on the bike it might be coming from? I've never seen any smoke or found anything made of rubber/plastic burnt on the bike.
On my 2002 I noticed a hot rubber smell that, as time went on, became an even more burnt-like or acrid odor. I noticed an occasional report of this with others as well. I did not discover the source until my second coolant change as I was removing the coolant recovery tank. The coolant recovery tank's over-flow tube and one other similar rubber hose had been cooked to a brittle bakelite consistency and it had that odor about it. It seems those hoses were too close to the left O2 sensor. Relocating new hose in the retainers solved the issue.I have not experienced that odor on the new model, but perhaps it would pay-off if those getting such odor trace the exhause system, O2 sensor locations, and CATs for contact with hoses or other rubber material.

prs

• Helpful
Reactions: Kenichi and Al P.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yesterday I was out on a 430 mile drive, mostly 75 mph highways. The smell is much more noticeable when the bike is ridden fast for a long distance. The rubber smell was prevalent when I stop to fill up for fuel, 3 times yesterday. On one stretch of highway the bike was only getting 35 MPG because of the 15-20 mph headwinds. The odor is definitely not a burning oil smell but a burning rubber smell. Pigeon Roost, I will take a look at the hoses you talk about and see if perhaps they are the source of the smell.

·
Registered
2020 DCT Tour, red/black
908 Posts
I wonder if mother Honda uses a lubricant or a paste, when mounting hoses in assembly. Or, its a hose coating protection from the factory to prevent aging hoses from cracking overtime. Fred might have the answer or ask.

·
Registered
983 Posts
On top of the engine behind the front tire sits a large piece of thin rubber that acts as a splash/debris shield to prevent any material from getting on top of the engine block. It also covers the top of the water pump housing. Alot of heat in this area and most likely the source of your smell. Most people notice the smell when at a stop like getting gas, at a stop light etc, or parking the bike in the garage. The smell seems to come through the open fairing/shelter area under the cluster.

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive exterior

·
Registered
983 Posts
I actually have a slight oil leak that’s underneath this rubber flap. It appears to be coming from the water pump housing where it attaches to the top of the engine block. It doesn’t leak enough to prevent riding the bike. Just a faint amount every 500 miles or so. Not enough that the oil level changes but just enough to cause a mess where it has been dripping down around the water pump housing. Brake dust and road dust makes it look way worse than it really is. Dealer is gonna take the bike in closer to the end of the year during the cold months

·
Registered
2021 6 speed Wing, 2021 Kawasaki Z900RS, 2019 Road Glide
2,769 Posts
I just read this thread yesterday for the first time. Today I go out for a ride, mostly for some break-in miles on the new seat, so I decide to test the heat to make sure it works properly. Once I arrived home and shut the bike off, I noticed the burnt rubber smell. Possibly your seat heaters?

·
Registered
983 Posts
I just read this thread yesterday for the first time. Today I go out for a ride, mostly for some break-in miles on the new seat, so I decide to test the heat to make sure it works properly. Once I arrived home and shut the bike off, I noticed the burnt rubber smell. Possibly your seat heaters?
I’ve got the non tour so no seat heaters and does it year round hot or cold weather

·
Registered
330 Posts
I’ve been reading this and I smell the smell also after 2 years. When I had my ST1300, there also was a well documented smell. It came from the radiator hose that split to the two cylinder blocks. The trouble was that the hose expanded and contracted and the screw clamps are fixed in tension. So the hose drips a little coolant into the “V” between the cylinder blocks on top of the crankshaft housing. To remedy this I replaced the clamps with “fixed tension” clamps. They look like regular clamps but have a spring near the screws that give a little as the hose expands but more importantly constricts to normal when the hose cools down and contracts. This was a common fix on the ST forum and it did help, but didn’t eliminate it completely. I wonder if this is the same type of issue. What I think I smell is evaporating coolant but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Coolant odor is, to me anyway, far different than burning rubber.

prs

1 - 20 of 35 Posts