GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice looking Kurakan chrome ring style with matching brushed alumium cup (however the alumium cup leaves a bit of an aftertaste when drinking water). When I use the Kurakan cup holder I mount the hardware so it leans outward toward the switches so as to (hopefully) let the airbag clear it if deployed (my guess is the cup would also shoot straight up and away, no big deal).

My other cup holder is a rather ugly looking, black fold down "expandable". I was thinking that it would hopefully be more flush to the bars and not get in the way of an airbag deployment but after looking at the sharp corner it might tear the airbag.

I've watched a couple diferent videos of airbag deplyments but it is hard to determine which cup holder would be best.

We are ATGATT and farily conservative riders. I have three decades of motorcycling experience with Marcia riding all over the country with me since 2000 but we know that there are certain things beyond our control. We almost had someone pull out in front of us a week ago (in spite of six lights, plus floorboard LEDs all facing forward):22yikes:. The only thing that may have prevented it was the fact that the stock horn is pretty decent.:shock:

The weather lately has been high 90s with the heat index in the low 100s so hydration is also a safety issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
366 Posts
biggersm,

The best hydration system for an Airbag-equipped Goldwing driver might well be a Camelbak system...!

IMO, a typical cup in a holder in the deployment area is gonna become a missile. Why temp fate...?

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. We considered a camelback (have a couple sitting around to include a 100 oz. edition with the wide opening to accept ice). We have the backrest too so wearing the camelback in the traditional way is not an option. I have at least three options:

1. Go back to the Kuyrakyn cup holder (the way the ring is shaped I can only see the cup going up during a airbag deployment but not at me).

2. Camelback in a non traditional way (i.e. mounted in front of me or maybe on the rear luggage rack if the hose is long enough, I will have to experiment).

3. Just scrap both cup holders and just ask the wife for a drink out of her grab rail mounted cup holder (I sometimes use her cup holder when I'm riding alone anyway).

I will do some experimenting.

BTW on an unrelated note, is it me or does the Kyrakyan backrest sit you too far forward, even when when mounted on the farthest back setting. I'm 5' 10". Oh well, any farther back and the wife would be crowded and the backrest does make for an easy all day ride.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Costco sells 16 oz. metal "Contingo" vacuum sealed beverage cups that fit the Kurakyn beverage holder perfectly. It keeps my coffee hot for 4-5 hours. Ice stays for 5-6 hours. The lid is a spring loaded autosealing design so it never spits when you hit a bump. Your shirts, coats, pants, etc. never get covered in coffee splatter. I've never lost a cup due to bouncing, full or empty. I was so impressed with how well the beverage cup fit, how well it keeps temperature, and how well it operates in the "extreme" condition of Wing riding that I went out and bought a dozen of them just in case Costco decided to never carry them again. I now keep an extra cup or two in the Wing at all times. These things seal so well you can leave the dredges of coffee in the bottom of the cup for days and it won't dry out!

Some of my Kurakyn cups (I bought more than one) are still in their original packaging. I will never use them again.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
BTW on an unrelated note, is it me or does the Kyrakyan backrest sit you too far forward, even when when mounted on the farthest back setting. I'm 5' 10". Oh well, any farther back and the wife would be crowded and the backrest does make for an easy all day ride.
Another reason why there are never any used " Utopia " backrests for sale on the Internet. Of all the stuff that has been recommended by so and so, the " Utopia " backrest recommendation has proven valid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts