GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks, a little help please.

I use my bike ( a hannigan trike ) as a daily commuter, riding 126 miles a day, Monday thru Friday.

Prior to that, I've ridden Yamaha full dressors as my commuter bikes.

Not that the above types of bikes matter, what I'm looking for is a TRUE rainsuit that balances 'breathing' with wetness rejection.

In other words, I don't wanna get soaked (which my current rainsuits do if it's a heavy rain), and I don't wanna get soaked IF it's not raining but the sun is out and I'm baking in it.

I know that (or I think I do) that I can't have it both ways, so I'd prefer NOT to get soaked in a heavy rain.

So what suit do I buy?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, any recommendations where to get the 10x Gortex?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Frogg Toggs

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Frogg Toggs, just bought new suits at WD.
Our old ones were bought at a Honda Homecoming many years ago.
The new ones are are much heavier and work very well.

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Aerostitch Roadcrafter works fer me....

·
Registered
3,610 Posts

I use my bike ( a hannigan trike ) as a daily commuter, riding 126 miles a day, Monday thru Friday.

Not that the above types of bikes matter, what I'm looking for is a TRUE rainsuit that balances 'breathing' with wetness rejection.

In other words, I don't wanna get soaked (which my current rainsuits do if it's a heavy rain), and I don't wanna get soaked IF it's not raining but the sun is out and I'm baking in it.

I know that (or I think I do) that I can't have it both ways, so I'd prefer NOT to get soaked in a heavy rain.

So what suit do I buy?
Aerostitch AD-1 Gore-Tex pants.

http://www.aerostich.com/ad1-motorcycle-pants-26.html

Frogg Toggs........Horny Toad or Highway Toad jacket

http://www.froggtoggsraingear.com/HighwayToadz.shtm

gramps

·
Registered
584 Posts
Gortex!

I got the Bass Pro 100mph bibs & parka. I haven't had a chance to use it yet as it doesn't rain much in Az.

But when it rains here, it rains all at once, up to an 1" an hour in 50mph winds. I have had all types of rain gear that was not Gortex and all leaked in a driving hard rain. Bass Pro assured me the Gortex won't leak and will take it back if it does, even years later....

·
Registered
67 Posts
Cabelas Guidewear. Bought it whenn I fished all the time(year round). Don't fish anymore but love it when I am riding and raining. Have rode many hours in the rain and stayed totally dry. Got wife the 100MPH rainsuit from Bass Pro for Christmas and she stays dry. Rode from Birmingham, AL to Blairsville GA, rianed the whole way. Of the 5 other bikes that went we were the only ones that stayed completely dry. They are expensive but you won't need another one for 10+ years.

·
Registered
107 Posts
X2 on AD1 and Aerostich

·
Registered
41 Posts
Aerostitch Roadcrafter works fer me....
+1 on AS Roadcrafter.
Been all over the country in all kinds of weather and it keeps me dryer than I should be for the amount of rain I've ridden thru.

Bongo

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can't beet Gortex. It is 100% waterproof, but also fully breathable.

Best bit is lifetime guarantee. Could you go to another company in 7 years and say, my rain suit is leaking, but isn't worn out, and expect them to fix the problem free of charge?

I like Aerostitch gear, had a Darien jacket for years now. Never leaked even when I had a naked bike and I couldn't see across the intersections because of the rain. Darien has pit zips and a back zip to let air out/in in hot weather as well as the breathability of Gortex.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
i wear a kilomonjaro all the time . if it rains hard i put my first gear textile over my olympia mesh

·
Registered
10,849 Posts

So what suit do I buy?
It is generally conceded that the top line branded rain suits sold by H-D and BMW Motorad are the best available overall. Both are pricy.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
+1 on the toggs. Easy to get on, light weight and they work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've never had much luck with two piece rain suits on motorcycles. Unless it's cold and wet, I tend to enjoy the rain through my protective clothing and count the ride as a bath.

·
Registered
119 Posts

So what suit do I buy?
Greg,

If your an ATGATT guy, then any good Gore-Tex jacket and pant will keep you dry. Some of the other textiles do as well, but if I was buying new gear, it would be Gore-Tex although it is really expensive. I am largely an ATGATT guy even when I commute to work. I am looking for new gear and am leading towards Rev'It Neptune, First Gear Kilimanjaro, are Aerostich Tactical. I have a first generation Aerostich, but it is way too hot in the summer.

If you are not a ATGATT person, the I would go with Frogg Toggs. I have several rain suits, but the FT's stay in the bike. They are not the best, but they roll up small, breath reasonably well and are cheap. The seams eventually fail, but they are so cheap, I replace them instead of trying to repair them. The best suit I own is an old Tour Master, but it doesn't breath very well, is really bulky to store, so only gets worn when it is cool out.

As I get older (close to 60), I find myself reaching for the truck keys on rainy days. That used to bother me, but not anymore.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts