GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are many favorite tires for certain riding conditions, handling in the twisties, smooth riding, longevity, etc. Forget price and any other concerns, which tires are the very best for TRACTION on WET roads? I'd like to hear from anyone with experience. Thanks.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i have experience with the following:

stones - good
dunlops - poor
metz 880 - very good

rode through plenty of rain the last few weeks in california, texas, arkansas, tennessee and kentucky. i like the metz in all conditions. excellent wear as well at 16-18k for a rear.

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
STONES :rain1: :biker: :rain1: :biker: :rain1: :chat:

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Bluebaird said:
+ 1 I had a metz come apart / lumps no matter how good a tire is it has to stay round...chuck

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
tried them all except Avon

Metzler is my all around prefered tire for the 1800, in my opinion Metzlers handle wet roads better than any other brand

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chuck_b24, what happened to the Metz? Tell me more please.

·
Registered
931 Posts
chuck_b24 said:
Bluebaird said:
+ 1 I had a metz come apart / lumps no matter how good a tire is it has to stay round...chuck
ditto

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
........ and how long ago was that problem with the Metzeler tire?

I am a bit more curious than some because I have almost 500 miles on a set of new ME880's, and so far I really like those tires.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Overland1 said:
........ and how long ago was that problem with the Metzeler tire?

I am a bit more curious than some because I have almost 500 miles on a set of new ME880's, and so far I really like those tires.
This summer during the sturgis solitary ride..About 2500 miles it started a wobble in the rear!!! NOT a pretty sight!! motorcyclemom40..(shiela) also had tire come apart & metz did NOT warrenty!!!....chuck

·
Registered
16,852 Posts
I have used Bridgestones; Avon, Dunlop E-3, and have ridden on damp road with Dunlop 250 (short ride was more than enough for me). I have Avons on now again and have a set of Metz on order, but have never ridden that brand.

For wet roads I rate the ones I have ridden this way:

The absolute worst, no question about it; Dunlop 250. DANGEROUS!

Far better than the 250s, especially when still new; Dunloop E-3.

A fair bit better than the E-3; Bridgestones.

A fair amount better yet, the Avons; best in class wet traction hands down (except I have yet to try Metzeler)

None of the ones I have used are perfect. All were noisey, but Bridgestones were less so. Avon noisest, but best all around.

BUT; to really decide and for the study to have real meaning we need a comparison of many sets of each by trained drivers and controlled conditions.

I hope I am not disappinted in the Metzelers.

prs

·
Registered
123 Posts
The avon far far better than 250, but at 2,000 a bit loud.
Rain tire in my book only #1 AVON.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Only considering wet roads -

On the 70 series rear tires to put on a wing, I liked the Metezler 880 very well, but am having just a little better feeling with the Bridgestone G850.

When I ran the 60 series rear tires, I thought the Bridgestone and Metezler both handled water on the road pretty well, and the Dunlops were terrible.

Never tried the Avons, and will not go back to a 60 series anything - or a Dunlop any size, for that matter.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your replies.

·
15 year Member
6,867 Posts
Mongo said:
chuck_b24 said:
Bluebaird said:
ditto
Ditto minus the metzler story... Stones are Very Good in Slick and Rainy Conditions!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :flg:

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
I have had the Dunlop 250's which were okay; Dunlop E3's which were terrible in the rain and very scarry; Metzeler 880's which were better than the E3's but still not great; and now I have on a set of Avon's which I like best of all. In my opinion the Avon's are the most stable overall in the rain and seem to be especially good on wet tar snakes and paint, or at least they are better than the others. But, you still have to be careful in the rain.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Avon Venom R. My bro-in-law in Texas has 'em and I have 'em here in the humid continental climate of Iowa.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts