·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have seen a few here and dont know what to buy

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
I carry the SLime Brand kit with their compressor and sticky rope type plugs. Just toss the Slime! Very good.

prs

·
Registered
826 Posts
The rope kit from WalMart worked for me (on someone else's tire).

·
Registered
21,093 Posts
been carrying around the sticky rope kit from walmart for quite a few years, last weekend i used it for the first time on my 1800, worked great

have used it on a few other vehicles and it has always done the job

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
The cheaper plug kits seem to work the best, just use plenty of the glue and let it set 15 min before air... Also remember to clean the hole well !

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yea Wally-World

I just bought the small compressor (about $10) and a rope kit from Wal-Mart. I have used the rope kits for years on both cars and bikes with no problems. The compressor is slightly larger than half of a cigar box and should do the trick. You just need to add an accessory outlet (cigarette lighter style) and put it on a 10 Amp circuit. I used the Show Chrome accessory plug kit and it was easy to do on my Airbagger...

Cheers,
Chris and Helen

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Another vote for the Wal Mart ... string patch .. & glue... I also have the little compressor (in the bicycle section)
Last time I used it.. was in March on our trip back from Daytona..
one of our group got a flat in Tallahassee.. he rode his bike back 400 miles did not loose any air what so ever...

cosmic

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
the best-Stop N Go

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Depending on the hole size: Wal Mart sticky rope and plenty of glue for large and Progressive plugs and glue for smaller. Top off with a Wal Mart compressor ($10) and you're ready to go.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
speaking of plug kits, how long does a bottle of *SLIME* last??? there is no expiration date code on the bottle ( that i could find )

·
15 year Member
6,932 Posts
laen said:
the best-Stop N Go

I would agree with laen, however......

The BEST one is the one you never have to use!!!

Matt(Ashland,MA) :lol:

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Whatever you finally get, make sure you do a little practice with it first. Get ahold of an used tire (preferably a MC tire) and punch a few holes in it, then practice plugging them. Fixing a flat on the side of a freeway is no time for learning.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
I would highly NOT recommend the Stop and Go. I tried to plug two tires with them and both plugs failed in short order. The cords in the tire sheared off the mushroom heads on the plugs. Other have reported similar failures with StopNGo plugs.

The other problem with it, is that the tool you use to insert the plug will really waller out the hole (technical term). What starts out as a very tiny puncture ends up as a hole big enough to poke a no. 2 pencil through by the time you get the tool inserted. The will totally destroy the tire and make it unrepairable.

In My Opinion, you are better off with a cheap sticky rope type plug. You couldn't give me a StopNGo kit.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I use Slime in my ATVs because I'm in the boonies when I need it, but I wouldn't slime a Wing tire because I'm afraid if I have to patch the hole with a rope someday the glue won't set because of the slime in the tire.

·
Registered
637 Posts
ElBando said:
I use Slime in my ATVs because I'm in the boonies when I need it, but I wouldn't slime a Wing tire because I'm afraid if I have to patch the hole with a rope someday the glue won't set because of the slime in the tire.
I agree...I do carry the bottle of slime with me along with the compressor and plug kit, but I would only use the slime as a last resort if I couldn't get a plug to work for some reason. I've heard both good and bad about it. Not sure what to believe...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Stop and Go. I had to use it in Key West for the Poker Run. Fred's comments are on point with my experience. I had to ream the hole out larger than the original screw hole by a significant amount and the "black" motorcyce plug would not seal completely. I took it to the cycle shop for them to repair and they used the "orange" Stop and Go plug made for cars which did seal the hole. I rode the bike home and around town for a couple of weeks while waiting for new tire. Did not notice shreading but maybe not in long enough. I still have the tire and will pull plug and inspect for damage when I get time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts