GL1800Riders Forums banner

What is the correct the way, to mount your motorcycle?

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  LAW 
#1 ·
To many replys on this topic to scroll through........

To all:
One thing I have noticed & I believe many of you other bikers may seen also is,
While at the motorcycle shows with factory displays, I have witnessed & seen the results of persons trying to mount a motorcycle via
the "cowboy leg swing". When swinging over the right foot/shoe over the seat, you will see the right saddle bag with shoe markings & scratches on the saddle bag paint.

This I believe is because that persons used to the typical motorcycles without saddle bags. So the natural action is to just throw the leg over "cowboy style".

So, when you "Got Bags", I feel that the "Leg Slide" is best. Just keep the tank paint in mind.

DangerousDan

#2 ·
Being on the short side, with the bike on the side stand I step on the left foot peg and swing my leg over. This lessons the contact with the right saddlebag and the custom paint on the gas filler cover.

#4 ·
DangerousDan said:
So, when you "Got Bags", I feel that the "Leg Slide" is best. Just keep the tank paint in mind. DangerousDan
Well, I have a riders back rest and a bad left knee. I step on the left floor board (oh yeah, I got floor boards too) and then swing my right leg over.

Van

#5 ·
I first ask it if it wants to go out and play. If it says yes, I say, "Great" and do the left leg hop. If it says no, I say, "Too bad" and do the left leg hop.

#6 ·
Just like getting on a horse, I put my left foot on the peg and swing my leg over. I can get off the same way.

#8 ·
The best method is from the right side of the motorcycle. This became a
habit in my law enforcement years, right-hand kickstand so you would
get on/off away from traffic. After 20 years of habit, I still mount 'er on
the high side :)

Wish they made a right-hand stand for the 1800...

#10 ·
leaddog11 said:
Leap on it from a balcony like Roy Rogers. That way you don't have to swing your leg at all.... just an idea...probably not a good one!
No kidding, not with these frames... :lol:

#12 ·
Break A Leg ?

I don't understand why so many people reportedly suffer saddlebag or top shelter paint mars from mounting or dismounting via "leg swing".

I am, um, "inseam challenged" - only 5'6" tall. I simply stand close to the left side of the bike, directly facing it. I raise my right leg, and pass right foot directly over the center of the driver's seat, in effect "stepping over" the seat in forward motion. Once the underside of right thigh is across the seat, it's a simple matter to "hop" fully onto the saddle in a lateral, rightward motion. My right foot sole never ever comes anywhere near into contact with top shelter or saddlebags on either side.

Same with dismounting. I place left foot firmly on ground, pivot on left foot turning torso to the right so as to be facing the left side of the bike, raise my right foot up and over the seat "back-stepping" over the bike. A short little rearward hop on the left foot of a few inches as I do so makes the dismount even easier in the described method.

I guess I just strongly dislike the idea of stepping onto the driver's footpeg or floorboard with full body weight to swing my right leg over the bike. With the accessories we add and gear we carry we're probably close to 1000-odd pounds all supportted by the sidestand. I'd hate to see a sidestand's mounting yoke ears or its frame-mounted mounting tab - or the fottbeg or floorboard mount - snap off & break as I'm trying to mount the bike in the method others have described. If any of them ever did break from a defective weld or metal fatigue or excess weight, the snap, tipover & leftward fall of the bike would be sudden, swift & without warning. I highly doubt anyone would be able to get their left leg out from under the left side of the falling bike in time. As in fractured fibia, fibula or femur. Ouch . . .

#13 ·
Jimmie,
In these modern times with all the diseases in the world, I want to thank you for reminding me and others that we all need to practice "Safe Wing Mounting" so that we do not find ourselves infected!

You are a good guy no matter what everyone says about you!

#14 ·
Has anyone else noticed that the Tech Board postings are going south!

Posts on "Steering Head" and "Bridgestone Bulge" and "Mounting Your Wing" and "Whines from Wings" and "All Balls" and "Blown Seals" and "Electrical Shorts"

Come on folks lets clean it up a little!

#17 ·
Sometimes I mount from the left, sometimes I mount from the right. The one thing I always do is apply the handbrake first to keep it from rolling.

#18 ·
Always mount from the left. If she walks away from you pull on the right rein. Once you get your foot in the stirrup swing your leg up and over. If approaching from the right side, place a hand on her rear as you walk behind so she knows where you are and doesn't go skittish. Talk to her and keep firm control to let her know who's boss and everything should go smoothly. Good Luck!

LAW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.