GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my 2003 GL1800a recently. It has a green button/light with what looks like a headlight and some straight lines with some squiggly lines on it. Lights up when I turn on the key. It is just to the right of my hazard light switch. My owner's manual doesn't show anything in that position - maybe a blank for adding some accessory. Anyway, if anyone knows what this is, I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
It's the added-on switch for your fog lights down in your lower cowl. Note: the yellow covers are something I made, normally the lights don't come with them. The Wing's don't come from the factory with fog lights, it's something that is added on / installed afterwords.

P1202871.jpg PB201886.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Ok, thanks much. So, its a switch. Should the green light go out and the fog lights go off when I push it? Because I think it is staying on all the time. I will go out and check again. It wouldn't be the first button that has been stuck on this bike!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Ok, thanks much. So, its a switch. Should the green light go out and the fog lights go off when I push it? Because I think it is staying on all the time. I will go out and check again. It wouldn't be the first button that has been stuck on this bike!
One thing to also remember is that the fog lights will only be on when your using "Low Beam" when you click onto high beam they go out. Just found that out myself....

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Ok, that makes sense. Maybe the green light button is just to notify you they are on?
Ummm, maaaybee? Can't answer that without seeing a picture of the switch in question. My Radio Shack aftermarket switch lights up when the lights are on. Some switches have a light that's always on so you can find the switch in the dark.

Fog lights are designed to cut out with the high beams on, unless someone does like me and has the interupt relay bypassed.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Those switch lights are on all the time; you just don't notice them in the daylight unless you're in your garage and put the door down. I think that was the question. The hazard triangle lights up too all the time like the rest. For clarification; the accessory activation is separate from the dim glow of the switch design.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pictures

photo 1 (1).JPG photo 2.JPG

So here's the switch with the key on (lit) and the key off. It moves when you push it, but if the key is on the green light just stays on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silicone

Maybe I will just go out to the garage again and do the silicone spray Goldwing stuck button treatment on it and see what happens.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The light switch will always stay lite when the key is on, you can install a bypass jump wire so the lights stay on with the high beams on I did it to mine when I installed my lights. Adds much more light to the road.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lights always on

Well, I checked out the high beam scenario and I see that the fog lights stay on even on high beam, so maybe the previous owner already did that bypass thing, and maybe that is why the green light is always on. If that's the case, I won't worry about it.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Well, I checked out the high beam scenario and I see that the fog lights stay on even on high beam, so maybe the previous owner already did that bypass thing, and maybe that is why the green light is always on. If that's the case, I won't worry about it.
On my 2012 the fog lights stay on even when high beams are on. I'm not sure if that's a state by state thing, or what, but the light on the switch on mine is lit all the time.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,199 Posts
That switch is definitely aftermarket and it may be stuck and then again it may just be an indicator to show power on the fog lights. :shrug:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,199 Posts
The high beam cutout was designed with the knowledge that fog lights are installed and designed to increase your vision in fog by lighting up the road down low, because lights up high tend to be reflected back into your face by the fog. So, a lot of cars that have fog lights will cut them off if your hit the high beams because the use of high beams means there's probably no fog to start with or you wouldn't have the high beams on. As far as any laws about them, I don't know, but the Honda fog lights were meant to cut out and that's why all of the wings from 01 thru the 13s have the blue wire coming to the fog light switch connector from the high beam circuit.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
​OK, here's my take. Turn on the fog/cowl lights and leave them on...FOREVER. Their most important function is to make you more visible to other motorists (cagers). Motorist can also better judge your distance when there is a triangle of light versus the one dimensional headlight of many motorcycles. Sort of like the old Ron Popeil ovens...Set it and forget it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
​OK, here's my take. Turn on the fog/cowl lights and leave them on...FOREVER. Their most important function is to make you more visible to other motorists (cagers). Motorist can also better judge your distance when there is a triangle of light versus the one dimensional headlight of many motorcycles. Sort of like the old Ron Popeil ovens...Set it and forget it.
Ditto. I never turn off my fog/cowl lights or even my PIAA LED's which are mounted by the forks. The more lights, the better you'll be seen,, hopefully,,,.

·
Registered
4,282 Posts
Headlight count

On my 2012 the fog lights stay on even when high beams are on. I'm not sure if that's a state by state thing, or what, but the light on the switch on mine is lit all the time.
As far as I understand it, headlights and other white lights are limited to a total of 4. Also forward facing lights are to be between white and amber in color.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As far as I understand it, headlights and other white lights are limited to a total of 4. Also forward facing lights are to be between white and amber in color.
Yes, That's true regarding 4 headlights. So far, I haven't been stopped. I'll keep on using all my lights until I have issues with the local PD. As long as I'm not blinding other drivers, I'd rather take what ever steps I can to be more readily seen then worry about a ticket. Just my opinion,,,.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts