GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard people mention it, and seen it flash by while playing with the controls, but what does the Intercom Mute actually DO?

·
Registered
130 Posts
intercom mute

I've heard people mention it, and seen it flash by while playing with the controls, but what does the Intercom Mute actually DO?
When my wing was new in 04 the radio volume would drop down around 50 mph. A fellow rider told me about the intercom mute, after I made the adjustment it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
It is essentially a voice-activated control that when someone speaks, the music volume is over-ridden. At what level of voice-activation the muting occurs is related to the setting. The higher the setting the more sensitive it is.

I've think background noise can impact sensitivity so if you have noisy helmets and mics pick up a lot of wind or road noises, it is tough for the voice to override necessitating a higher setting.

Something I do is turn off the ICOM when traveling a long ways. I tell the wife to just tap me if she wants to talk. It works pretty well and sure saves a lot of strain on the ears.

The Mic-Mutes may be an option for you. For the $160 they cost for a two-up system, I opted for pushing the ICOM button conveniently located right in front of me. And if you're riding by yourself, why does anyone need the ICOM on anyway?

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used to have my SO tap me on the shoulder when she needed to talk to me. The only issue with that was she must have thought that my shoulder had an "on" button on it and she would start talking right away. By the time I got the intercom turned on, she was usually most of the way through the statement, or was waiting for my reply. Most of the time I had to have her repeat the statement. Mic mutes solved that problem., she has her own button to push now. Works well!

·
Banned
7,603 Posts
Well here's another explanation:roll:
Since the mics are live all the time the I-com is on, the I-com mute is there to over come external noise, such as wind, so whatever other audio system(s) you have on can be heard. The higher the setting the louder the "noise"(voice, for example) needs to be to overcome other audio features, such as the FM radio.
Mic-mutes may be nice item to have but are not a cure for any RF noise or any other interfering noise, for that matter, because, as soon as you click them off, whatever noise is present will be heard!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
On my bike the intercom mute you set it for when you are talking on the intercom how low the radio sound goes down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
So many answers, so much misinformation...:lol:

The mute button has nothing to do with setting sound output levels, (the higher the setting the louder the noise)adjusting for speed (Kicking in at 50 or 5 mph) or how far down the level goes when the mute system kicks in.... (sorry, with all due respect, that is just disinformation)

Going down the road, hit the mute switch located on the left cluster. Listen to what happens to your radio, CD MP3, etc. The intercom mute does exactly that with an electronic switch instead of the physical one, it mutes your music outputs tt a pre-adjusted level of noise triggered by the level of noise coming through the mics on your intercom system. There is no setting the level to which it mutes, only an electronic switch that determines if it will be muted or not. The only thing the intercom mute setting does is sets the level of intercom noise it takes to trigger that internal switch automatically. If you want to only quietly talk and have your music go off(actually only down to the factory preset mute level), set the number to the higher end of the scale. If the ambient wind noise (50 mph=more noise than 20mph) is dropping your music out, you will want to decrease the intercom mute number to a place that it kicks the music down when someone is talking, but ignores the wind noise. The Intercom Mute system has no ability whatsoever to filter intercom wind noise no matter where you put the control number, only to control the muting of your music/radio input signal.

My wife loves to have her music on through the helmet speakers, but has a REALLY annoying habit of putting her mic out in the wind. I simply set the intercom mute so if her mic is in the wind the music kicks out. (problem solved)

Hope that clears it up a bit... If not, I am sure someone else will be along to call me out on my disinformation...:thumbup:

Call away... see tag line in sig.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Well Revrunt, that is about as clear it can get! Good explanation!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So many answers, so much misinformation...:lol:

The mute button has nothing to do with setting sound output levels, (the higher the setting the louder the noise)adjusting for speed (Kicking in at 50 or 5 mph) or how far down the level goes when the mute system kicks in.... (sorry, with all due respect, that is just disinformation)
Actually revrunt, I started to LOUDLY disagree with you but you are correct (at least partially). After a little investigation I figured out that at some point since after 2003, "they" changed the way the intercom mute works.

The statement that the intercom mute control adjusts the amount that the volume of the selected audio source is lowered is correct for models at least through '03. My '02 manual states that after you reach the Intercom Mute function on the radio display: "To increase the background music/program volume - turn the VOLUME knob counterclockwise" and "To decrease the background music/program volume - turn the VOLUME knob clockwise". In other words, the bigger the Intercom Mute selection, the more the selected program is muted. That is the way it functions on mine. So far these old time bikes (like mine) you are incorrect and YOU are providing misinformation.

In an on-line version of the manual for an '09 that I found, the manual does state that the Intercom Mute control varies the mute circuit sensitivity to microphone inputs, with the higher the mute setting the more sensitivity the mute function exhibits.

So at some point between 03 and 09 the function changed.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Actually revrunt, I started to LOUDLY disagree with you but you are correct (at least partially). After a little investigation I figured out that at some point since after 2003, "they" changed the way the intercom mute works.

The statement that the intercom mute control adjusts the amount that the volume of the selected audio source is lowered is correct for models at least through '03. My '02 manual states that after you reach the Intercom Mute function on the radio display: "To increase the background music/program volume - turn the VOLUME knob counterclockwise" and "To decrease the background music/program volume - turn the VOLUME knob clockwise". In other words, the bigger the Intercom Mute selection, the more the selected program is muted. That is the way it functions on mine. So far these old time bikes (like mine) you are incorrect and YOU are providing misinformation.

In an on-line version of the manual for an '09 that I found, the manual does state that the Intercom Mute control varies the mute circuit sensitivity to microphone inputs, with the higher the mute setting the more sensitivity the mute function exhibits.

toldja someone would correct me...:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,498 Posts

Does yours say something like this? (screenshot from an '03)

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Anybody got an '02 manual from which you can post a picture of this page? Would really like to see the actual words on the page. I can only find an '03...

Also can somebody please verify the screenshot is actually working for others, as it is linking to my photobucket and i am not sure it is in a public album...

TIA:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I am pretty sure revrunt has it exactly right, others thinking theirs is different are only imagining it. It is very possible that I am wrong as I've have only my 2003 to go by but it just doesn't make any sense for it to do anything else. It simply sets what level of noise is required to mute the audio source so rider and passenger can speak to one another without yelling over whatever they are listening to.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
Oh, yea, and I see your screenshot.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Just to be clear....
Jimwinger is correct about the manual....

Text Font Document Paper Paper product

Don't think the hardware changed, but the manual did... my 2001 operates differently than the 2001 manual, but exactly as the 2003 manual states...

Just for the record, until proven otherwise, I believe the manual to be wrong and that it was subsequently corrected and that my explanation is correct as to the actual operation of all years. I have today, checked a 2003, a 2005 and rechecked my 2001...

Other opinions will be posted in a moment....:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Maybe I'm just very susceptible to the power of suggestion BUT, my '02 seems to operate just as described in the manual. That is, the higher the mute setting number, the lower the background music seems to be when the mute happens.

On the other hand, 99.9% of my riding is done solo and the only time the mute kicks in is when I turn on the intercom to make sure my mike is working before talking on the CB. So I don't really know what I think any more. (I need to go ask the wife what my opinion is (especially since we have been married 30 years TODAY!!) :shrug:!

Peace!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts