GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a flip-face helmet (modular) and was wondering...what is the quietest?

I have a HJC CL-33 and it's extremely noisy. I have tried hand wings, the vent opened or closed, but still seem to hear alot of wind noise, not counting the noise from the pass. intercom (a whole 'nother story).

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Probably the Shoei full helmet is the quietest. Of course you can wear ear plugs and make any of them quieter. By the way, the ear plugs actually help with the head phones. George

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I have a Arai full face, wife has a new Shoei. The Arai is by far more comfortable, but hers is quiter. Does Shoei make a flip face? Trialsman turned me on to ear plug, the greatest things since hum dingers.

G

·
The answer to a quieter helmet seems to lie in: how the visor is attached to the helmet. Arai (which I prefer) has plastic covers over where the visor attaches, this causes wind noise. Shoei helmets attached right to the outside of the helmet (no wind noise). I have always heard you have an Arai head or a Shoei head. When I try helmets on I always go to the Arai's, (they fit my head better). What you have to decide is comfort or wind noise, when you find a compromise, that is the helmet you need to buy.....JMO. And yes, I ALWAYS ride with earplugs.

2,732 Posts
Probably the Schuberth Concept

The Schuberth (available from your local BMW motorcycle shop) which has a chin dam that prevents wind from coming up inside the helmet under your chin seems to be outstanding. It also has the added feature of the flip down sunvisor inside the helmet structure (not outside like some other manufacturers models). It also has the quick clip chin strap. I think it is the most advanced helmet I've ever used. Had mine for 5 years now and love it. Wife also likes it as it keeps the wind at bay riding behind me. At 85 mph on the highway we can talk in quiet conversation over the intercom with no wind noise to speak of.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
I agree with some of the above. I have both an Arai Quantum II and a Shoe RF1000 (both full face) and the Arai is by far the noisest helmet I've ever worn. I also have an HJC CL-14 which is somewhere in between. I wear the Arai when riding the Goldwing because the full fairing windshield knocks out the noise anyway. I wear the Shoe when riding the FJR.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I have the HJC Symax, and agree with your comments, but most days I ride with the clear shield up, not too bad at all.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
A lot depends on how well the helmet fits your egg!

You can take the Best, most expensive helmet, and if it don't fit right, it can be very noisey.

Bulldog

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Bulldog said:

You can take the Best, most expensive helmet, and if it don't fit right, it can be very noisey.

Bulldog
Dang Dawg! That's pretty much what I wsa going to say! :lol:

1. All other things being equal, the way a helmet fits is probably the biggest contributor to wind noise.
2. Protrusions on the helmet surface cause wind noise and are probably the second biggest factor. (Like the headset clamp, visor hinges,etc.)

A properly fitted full face helmet will generally be the quietest (wind noise wise) helmet you can get. The only break in the surface of the helmet will be the area around the flip up visor.

The flip face helmet has a larger seam for the visor/front PLUS another one for the see-thru visor. Add in an external sunshade and there's a third.

That said... I currently have the following helmets:

HJC half helmet
Nolan N100-E flip face
HJC Sy-MAX flip face
Shoei RFR full face

Honestly, the half helmet is the quietest at around town speeds though I rarely wear it.

The Sy-Max is the over all quietest with the Nolan next in line. This is riding with the face in the UP position. With the face in the down position, both helmets get noisier but are livable with earplugs and/or with the visor up or cracked partway. The Sy-Max + earplugs with the face down exhibits a "thrum" for me that can get very tiring.

BTW, the Nolan has the flexible cover under the chin as well. Attached or not, seems to make no difference as far as noise (on the wing) but it does help keep the cold off my face in the winter.

The Shoei is quiet as long as I have the visor cracked open a bit. It's also the poorest for ventilation

So I end up wearing the Sy-Max + ear plugs most of the time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the Shuberth concept helmet and it is super quiet. It is also very hot. I also have the Nolan N100e and it is super noisy, deafening so. I have Arai open face and they are quiet but we do not wear them any more except for the dirt.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all who replied. I have been leaning towards the Symax but didn't want to get it until I heard some of your opinions. I'll also have to find someone local that carries the different brands to try on.

I read the posts about ear plugs a while back. I may try them with a new helmet. That might just do the trick.

I believe a majority of the noise I hear is coming up under the visor near the cheek pads. I've tried leaving the visor cracked a little but it doesn't make much difference.

My hearing is bad anyway from years of exposure to engine noise, etc. and the wind noise just becomes annoying and tiring after a while. I know Red would say "it's a motorcycle, expect wind". I do, but I'm just looking for a way to quiet it down.

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Boat Driver said:
....... noise from the pass. intercom (a whole 'nother story).

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions.
To rid yourself of noise from the intercom, purchase a set of Mic Mutes. They will rid you of any noise when not yakking on the intercom.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
I have a Nolan N100E, soon to be replaced. So does my wife, as well as a Schuberth Concept C1 flip front helmet. Her observations are that the Nolan is a bit noisier than her old Shoei full-face helmet, but the Schuberth flip front is horribly noisy, and as soon as possible, she'll dump it for another Nolan.

One thing to look at when considering a flip front helmet is how the chin bar is fastened when in the down position. The Nolans use a stainless steel mechanism that is quite strong. I believe (so I'm told, anyway) that the HJC uses a plastic mechanism that eventually wears out and fails. The Schuberth uses a steel mechanism as well. We both use earplugs, so the noise is easy to live with, but my wife complains about the noise, even with earplugs.

2,732 Posts
In defense of the Schuberth helmet

In defense of the Schuberth helmets we have, we did spend a great deal of time getting a near perfect fit, meaning the sides fit tightly around our ears, the chin dam fits close (but not touching) our chins, the helmet does not move around on our heads and both helmets were snug when we first put them on. We were used to helmets that the wind practically tore them off when in a windstorm so I know what a poor fitting helmet is like. We had to go a size larger than normal on the Schuberth for each of us, but the extra care in fitting and selecting has served us well with a helmet we love to put on. By the way, we have ridden in 105 degree weather in Venice, Italy with them and not felt uncomfortable. I think it is the extra insulation that the expensive helmet contains. In helmets, as in life, you get what you pay for. I've done 1,000 mile days in very hot weather and never felt that they were exceptionally hot. I do ride with the shield (not the flip front) up much of the time.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Fireball18 said:
The Nolans use a stainless steel mechanism that is quite strong. I believe (so I'm told, anyway) that the HJC uses a plastic mechanism that eventually wears out and fails.
I can confirm this with the HJC. That's the weakest point of the HJC, those the CL-Max lock mechanisms seem to fail faster than the Sy-Max.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Texan said:
Of course you can wear ear plugs and make any of them quieter. By the way, the ear plugs actually help with the head phones. George
If you have never tried this you should give it a shot. To me it puts me in my own little world with no wind noise - a really nice ride.

But you can still hear your headphones just fine with the volume up some but the is no competing background noise. I can even hear the music if played through the outside speakers - so horns and such can be heard too. But the constant road and wind noise is muted.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a Scorpion full face helmet - they are supposed to be especially quiet. I have noticed improvement over an old HJC but nothing special. I ride with earplugs 90% of the time. It cuts out wind noise and I can actually run my stereo at a lower volume than without the plugs! -Stephen

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I agree that earplugs are the way to go.

I have always had ringing ears after the end of a long day, no matter if I was wearing a full face helmet or nothing. It was one of the things I really didn't enjoy about riding.

I went and bought some really cheap disposable plugs awhile back. I didn't even try them for a few thousand miles.

My last trip I put them in. They are really soft so you roll them up and stuff them in and then they expand to fit the ear canal.

I was in HEAVEN. Yeah, I had to increase the volume on my helmet speakers, but so what? At the end of the day I had zero ringing. I could almost zone out without the radio on and enjoy the ride -- even on the super slab where the semis used to drive me nuts with their noise.

I will never go on a long trip or ride on the interstate without earplugs again. It improved my riding experience by a great deal.

·
Registered
642 Posts
JP3 said:
I agree that earplugs are the way to go.

I have always had ringing ears after the end of a long day, no matter if I was wearing a full face helmet or nothing. It was one of the things I really didn't enjoy about riding.

I went and bought some really cheap disposable plugs awhile back. I didn't even try them for a few thousand miles.
JP3, you're right. The constant wind noise is tiring on a long ride, but tolerable around town (barely). The real problem is that if you don't wear earplugs, the wind noise will lessen over time too, as you lose your hearing.

When your ears are ringing, your hearing acuity has been lessened, and it will never come back. It is a cumulative process, as many people have learned to their chagrin.

Please, everyone, wear some kind of earplugs or something to protect your hearing. My dad can barely hear now and I know he misses out on a lot when the family is around the dinner table. Your hearing is worth the minor inconvenience of inserting earplugs.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Bulldog said:

Bulldog
That's the whole ticket right there.
And the earplugs. I've been using them for 18 out of my 20 years of riding.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts