GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently run a Pirelli and I have noticed that when I am loaded to travel that the bike stands very close to the vertical on the side stand. This is with the rear preload set at 25 and the front wheel pointing left. and when I and my wife are both in the saddle it is almost impossible to put the side stand down without leaning it way to the right first. We are by no means small people, but I would think that once we got off the bike would settle onto the side stand normally.

Is this normal, or is there something wrong with my rear suspension? If it is normal, what is the tallest tire I can run without having it rub on the top of the inner fender at full compression of the rear?

Thanks.

·
DSI Keeper
9,173 Posts
I think I would take a hard look at your rear suspension. Wouldn't hurt to look at the front, either. I run a Pirelli and with the Traxxion suspension, mine leaned way over. My rear is set at 9. In fact I ended up buying one of the old style chrome stands that are longer and now my bike sits about right. Do you notice at what number the motor begins to labor when raising the rear? Start at zero and see when you can hear a change of the motor pitch. Could also be time for springs both front and rear. Consider the factory springs anemic, at best.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I agree with Murgie. Please check (or have checked) out the suspension. That can be quite dangerous. You could gain a little clearance with a taller tire, but that might fool you into thinking the bike is o.k. when it is not.

You would gain about 1/3" with a 195/60-16 (assuming you are now running a 195/55-16).

Just so we know, what is the exact size of the tire you are currently running?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
:agree: Check out your suspension. mine has a 195 60 on it and has had the 195 55 in the past and never a problem with lean on the side stand. Sounds like you have something else amiss.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yep, as others have posted, it ain't the tire.

Most folks have just the opposite problem.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
:agree:Keep up the good work fellas!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the responses, I have a Euphori 195/55. When I put the preload down the whole way and started it back upwards with no load on the bike it did not start bogging the preload motor until it reached 6. I guess I will find a round tire to put back on to take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty and I don't feel like a hassle. :-(

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I have a Euphori 195/55. When I put the preload down the whole way and started it back upwards with no load on the bike it did not start bogging the preload motor until it reached 6. I guess I will find a round tire to put back on to take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty and I don't feel like a hassle. :-(
Yeah, trip to the dealer would be best because even with it not starting to labor the pre-load until 6 something still isn't right. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts