GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Destin Doc, I agree with you 100% and I like the way you explained it. Batteries start EVERY time......until they don't! I remember years back when you could get a battery to last at least 5 years. I can't get one to last more than 3 years. I don't even try. My logic is, as many others have mentioned, it costs less for a new battery than for a Tow Truck Charge. Not to mention having to wait "who knows how long" for the darn truck to get to you. Call me lazy, or crazy, but I just don't want to put up with all that hassle. I've been on the bad side of this issue once too many times.
and it's usually "ALWAYS" in front of HARLEYS, (Just like it happened to me above)

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
My ‘19 DCT Tour OEM battery was commissioned in 2019, is now 3 years and 5 months old, and I have had no problems ever.

Tim
Probly has somewhere between 4 and 7 starts left in it would be my guess….:unsure:

edit:…. Maybe 8

• Haha
Reactions: gkarasik

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Probly has somewhere between 4 and 7 starts left in it would be my guess….:unsure:

edit:…. Maybe 8
:)

Interesting discussions on battery life, especially from owners in hot, southern climes where I frequently see batteries requiring replacement in the 2-3 year range.

Where I live in (cold) Alberta, most of us typically run OEM batteries 4-6 years, some even longer.

In 45 years of owning motorcycles, I have NEVER replaced an OEM battery in under 6 years.

Either there’s an advantage to living in a cold climate or OEM batteries for Canadian market motorcycles are of higher quality than those supplied to the U.S. market. Lol.

Tim

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
If your battery is the original from 2019 I’d replace it even though it may still be fine.
Batteries wear out and 3 years is pushing it .
Better to be proactive on this and not get stuck somewhere.
My 02 which I bought in 07/02, has it's second battery still in it. And it starts just fine. I replaced the original in 2013, just before a long trip. It was still working,just figured why press my luck.

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Airbag
8,791 Posts
In another battery thread, @Bullet Bob made an excellent point about keeping batteries on tenders: It can disguise a failing battery. I'm not at all suggesting that regularly using a tender is a bad thing, but it's not a cure all. It slows, but doesn't stop, the process of battery degradation.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My ‘19 DCT Tour OEM battery was commissioned in 2019, is now 3 years and 5 months old, and I have had no problems ever.

Tim
Tim, that is the my problem with today's batteries. Everything goes well until one day it dies without any warning at all. At least that has been my experience. With the older batteries, you used to get that tell-tale lag or the starter just didn't turn over as fast.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've had two Yuasa's and one cheaper replacement in my '03 and will stay with Yuasa. In each case I've found the best time to change them is in the morning before it gets hot.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I have one of these mounted in the right fairing on my Wing. It gives me battery voltage and battery health in percentage. It also has a beeper that sounds when the battery is down to a health rating of 10% or less. It's called a Battery Bug, but I don't know if they are still available.

I recently bought a battery tester similar to this one for my other bikes and other vehicles. The price was very reasonable, about $30. It appears to work well.
If you don't mind, where did you find this tester. And what is the brand name.
Thank you.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts