GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mount is/was on my 2001 'wing when I bought it. What is it supposed to be for and if anyone knows the maker, perhaps I can find what things mount to it.
"Folded" and "unfolded" pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
This mount is/was on my 2001 'wing when I bought it. What is it supposed to be for and if anyone knows the maker, perhaps I can find what things mount to it.

"Folded" and "unfolded" pics...
Butler cup but you're missing the ring the cup sits in.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Red

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you all for the replies and the link. Probably will just remove it, don't think a handlebar cup holder is going to see any use from me.

·
Registered
782 Posts
You will need the OEM screws/bolts when you take that off. While not "needed" it would be nice to have the plastic cap that snaps over the socket head screws once installed. Usually when I reinstall this cap I add a dab of my favorite glue to help keep it in place.

Alternatively, you could replace this with one of the RAM ball mounts. This comes with new screws and would allow you to add a mount for a phone, GPS, radar detector, fishing rod holder, pistol holster, etc.

There are other third party accessories that also mount using these screws. Not a big deal, your choice, just can't reuse those screws so you need something in advance.

BTW: Nice looking rig. Unless you use a Camelback type water carrier, you should keep hydrated and a cup holder of some type is a good idea.

Reactions: jettawreck

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You will need the OEM screws/bolts when you take that off. While not "needed" it would be nice to have the plastic cap that snaps over the socket head screws once installed. Usually when I reinstall this cap I add a dab of my favorite glue to help keep it in place.

Alternatively, you could replace this with one of the RAM ball mounts. This comes with new screws and would allow you to add a mount for a phone, GPS, radar detector, fishing rod holder, pistol holster, etc.

There are other third party accessories that also mount using these screws. Not a big deal, your choice, just can't reuse those screws so you need something in advance.

BTW: Nice looking rig. Unless you use a Camelback type water carrier, you should keep hydrated and a cup holder of some type is a good idea.
Thanks for the heads up about the (non) reuse of the longer mounting screws. I think a Ram mount for a GPS will be in the plan eventually. Most of my riding (passenger or not) involves enough stops to stay hydrated and we have plenty of cooler and container options.
Thanks for the compliment on the rig. Haven't "traveled" with that trailer other than bringing it home 150 miles, but it was very nice and smooth with the air ride system. This last week I went on a three day 800 mile camping trip up the UP of Michigan and thru the Porcipine Mountain park with the tent camper trailer loaded up. Not so smooth on some of the rough park roads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flipped the mount parts around and bought a cheap xbay Garmin ball mount. Going to try it out and see if the ball mount is sturdy enough to keep it from vibrating (or falling off). Will see how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts