GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had the front cowling off and exhaust covers off and while putting the parts back on. I noticed a place for a 6mm bolt with nothing attached. I looked on a parts fiche and in my shop manual and can not find a picture for it. So, I thought I would show a picture with out a bolt in that spot and with one with bolt for clarification. What we are looking at is just to the left of the timing cover at the front of my 2005 GL the hose will normally hide that area and I moved it to show the spot. Can anyone tell me what it is for. Sorry
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive exhaust
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper
Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
How in the heck, Many of you know all these answers and questions are beyond me................(Thanks) I just learned something new (again) myself this morning..

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
How in the heck, Many of you know all these answers and questions are beyond me................(Thanks) I just learned something new (again) myself this morning..

Ronnie
Don't worry about it, it is really all about finding answers. Knowing this board is a good source can be part of that. No one knows everything.

Calling them "fog lights" is wrong, fog lights are yellow and cut through the fog to make things more visible. White reflects off of the fog with more white light making fog at night worse. This is why bright lights turn the fog into a visually solid wall of white. White lights in the location where fog lights may be are "driving lights". I tend to turn my driving lights off in night time fog (I would rather keep those on for being low and turn off headlights) to reduce the amount of light reflected back at me. Many may think that their state has made yellow fog lights illegal; however, the illegal part is using them when there is no fog. California is one of those states that allows yellow fog lights only when fog is present. And the difference in heavy night time fog between yellow and white is amazing. Just not quite as much as a difference for polarized glasses in day time fog.
For those that do not know about Calif., places with large bodies of water near can get some wicked thick fog in winter and the coast may even get it thick other times of the year, including the middle of summer.

·
Registered
295 Posts
That's actually the rounded flat arbus leteration miniscule collection point. Easy to repair and quite available when looking for parts. Oh wait, it may be the discomblaterated domaflaggy switch location hole and holder.🤪

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sorry the pictures showed twice each. But, this is the first time I've tried to insert a picture. Maybe I should have done thumbnail. I'm not thinking they are for Fog?running lights. I have them installed further way on the corners and they fit perfectly within the intended cut-outs in the Cowling. The pictures do not show the Fog lights but does show the connector for the right side fog light. So that must be for something else. My first thought was maybe a hose type retainer for that hose coming down to the cannister just to the left of the oil Filter.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
What brand of driving lights do you have. The OEM or OEM like mounting should use those holes. Here is an install sheet from a set from Big Bike.... Looks like the correct spot to me...

Product Rectangle Font Line Screenshot

I think I have Big Bike LED lights on my 2010.

As far as duplicating pics..... drop the pic in the "drop here" box and do not click "thumbnail" after it downloads the picture. That is what I do, I don't even bother with "thumbnail" as it has always duplicated my pics.

·
Vendor
19,748 Posts
Can anyone tell me what it is for.
Sometimes a manufacture has add'l bolt holes for future accessories or for other various needs. On each side, there are 4 of those, and 4 on the top front, a 1 on top and at the rear of the engine case.

The other 3 on each side are used for Honda line fog lamps. The lower one on the left side is always used to secure a harness/clutch hose clip. The 4 up front, and on top, are used to mount the reverse actuator. On F6bs, only 1 is used. The single one, top and center at the rear of the case, I've never seen used. The other lower one on the right side is sometimes used for a harness clip, but only used on 5th gens that have no reverse (F6bs).

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you removed those bolts your warranty is voided and your Goldwing will cease to operate!
LOL, just kidding. I don't have those bolts because the first owner installed the "fog" or driving lights.
I'll bet there is NOTHING that is unknown on this Forum about Goldwings!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts