GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked under my air filter yestrerday just for fun, and there was this creamy yellow/brownish gunk pooled up under the 2 air intakes. It had the smell of oil.

Does anybody know what it is?
Is it normal?

If it is normal, are the two holes in this collection area for drainage? Is so, where does it drain to?

Here's the air box after it was cleaned.

THANKS!!
8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like blow-by to me. Some is normal and what you have doesn't look excessive to me.

Some things that can increase the amount of oil in the air box are:

1. Lots of high speed riding.
2. Not cleaning the drain in front of the left head.
3. Letting the bike sit several days between rides.
4. Riding many short rides.
5. Rings wearing down.

Of course, the longer you wait between filter changes, the more oil will build up. The light brown color would lead me towards 3 or 4. It looks like you are getting a little condensation in your oil and this is where it ends up when it evaporates.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Are you using a K&N filter? Could be oil residue if you are.

Just a thought.

It does not look bad though.

Dawg

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
When you change your oil- do you put in 3.9 or the full 4 quarts?

·
Vendor
21,892 Posts
Oil rich crankcase vapors get recirculated into the air box via the plumbing connected to the two bottom hoses that connect to the air box where those two holes are. I have seen this same build up in my own bike as well, and I suspect most all have it to some degree or another.

Overfilling the oil will exacerbate it. Some brands/types of oil may also be worse/better than others.

Just wipe it up and clean it out every time you change the oil filter, and don't loose any sleep over it.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
That is just about normal for mine. Maybe yours is a tad more. Here is what I do to clean that up. Remove those 2 black round tubes. clean those up real good. Take a rag with some throttle body cleaner on it and clean up all around the area. Open the throttle and clean the sides of the throttle bodies. You will see some built up black carbon. Gently clean that off. It that build up gets bad enough it will effect the idling and the peformalnce of the bike. When all is said and done it should look brand new. If you would like you can remove the plug on the hose that catches all that crap. Spray some cleaner in the air box and let it drain down. When I am done with mine it look slike brand new. When you go to start the bike, depending on how much cleaner you got down into the intake plenum your bike will sputter and smoke for a few seconds. This is perfectly normal, its just burning off the cleaner. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jhl said:
Looks like blow-by to me. Some is normal and what you have doesn't look excessive to me.

Some things that can increase the amount of oil in the air box are:

1. Lots of high speed riding....YES
2. Not cleaning the drain in front of the left head.I do it every time I change the oil
3. Letting the bike sit several days between rides.Well... I tell the bike to go out for a spin when I'm not around, but it refuses to go anywhere without me.
4. Riding many short rides. 5 days a week to the office - 30 minute ride. My "target" short ride would be 3 days at a clip.
5. Rings wearing down. I hope not! 26.5K on the bike

Of course, the longer you wait between filter changes, the more oil will build up. The light brown color would lead me towards 3 or 4. It looks like you are getting a little condensation in your oil and this is where it ends up when it evaporates.
This is my first air filter change, at 26.5K miles.

Bulldog said:
Are you using a K&N filter?
No

Hokie said:
When you change your oil- do you put in 3.9 or the full 4 quarts?
The full 4 quarts.

Fred H. said:
Overfilling the oil will exacerbate it.
I put in the full 4 Qts as stated above

Some brands/types of oil may also be worse/better than others.
I use the Honda GN4
Max McAllister said:
Isn't that water mixed with the oil?
Condensation?

Good advice Toyo, I'll give that a whirl.

Thanks all for your replies!
8)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Blow by has alot of water in it. The perfect stochiometric combustion byproductes of any fuel is CO2 and water.

A short trip is defined as any trip that does not get the oil up to normal operating temperature. When the oil gets hot, the moisture cooks out of it. The vapor pressure of water goes up substantially with elevated temperature and 180 or higher oil temp is important for driving the water off. I have not measure my oil temperature, but ideally I would want around 180 and 200 deg F. My primary sources are friends who run engine oil and two stroke oil testing and certification labs for EG&G Automotive Research in San Antonio.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Looks about the same as mine when I last changed the air filter after 17K miles. Do a little wipe up gently and it should be good to go.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I just did mine Saturday and had the same thing, a little less that you did. Filter needed changing when I got to it. I wasn't concerned with the oil in the box as much as the fact that the last "Andy Hardy" that changed the filter GLUED it to the top piece!!!!! It took an additional 2 hours to separate them, and not destroy the top cover. I was a tad PO'ed. That was the first time that I have had the top shelter off, and didn't find it all that bad. I still have it all apart, doing some cleaning up of things and wiring while in there. No real hurry Max at Traxxion has my forks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As you're sitting on the bike, the hole at the upper eft side is the airbox water drain (the airbox "sewer").

The two holes at the rear are crankcase vents. The oil residue is most likely from the crank case vapors (given the relatively low mileage on the bike). The "water" is from wet (or very damp/humid) air taken into the airbox by the throttle bodies' vacuum while riding in th rain or on very humid days, but not thoroughly drained to the "sewer".

As others have said, carefully clean it all out each time you change your airfilter, and "Press on, regardless!" 8)

·
Registered
195 Posts
That is moisture and oil. Drain the tube on the front lower side of left head. You will see what comes out. Perfectly normal. A wing can mark its territory too.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
The even distribution left / right is best. If it pools too deep on one side the front end will wobble.

Bradford

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Mine was like that too! No problem.

·
Vendor
2,337 Posts
goldwinghen3 said:
Blind Yak said:
Blow by has alot of water in it. The perfect stochiometric combustion byproductes
HUH ?????????????????????????????????????????????
That's what I said....

CO2 and Water are the byproducts of a pure Alcohol-burning racing engine, not a gasoline burning engine.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Toyo said:
... If you would like you can remove the plug on the hose that catches all that crap. ....
Of course you have to remove the plug in order to drain any water trapped in the hose. But the plug is there for
a purpose, and leaving it out while the engine is running allows unfiltered dusty air to bypass the filter and enter
the engine. So, after service, make sure the plug is properly reinstalled.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Max McAllister said:
goldwinghen3 said:
[quote="Blind Yak":2sfp79ku]Blow by has alot of water in it. The perfect stochiometric combustion byproductes
HUH ?????????????????????????????????????????????
That's what I said....

CO2 and Water are the byproducts of a pure Alcohol-burning racing engine, not a gasoline burning engine.[/quote:2sfp79ku]

Max, sometimes you crack me up.
I cannot think of any hydrocarbon based fuel that does not produce water and CO2 as major components of the byproducts of combustion.
CO2 and water are produced by every hydrocarbon based fuel you can imagine from propane to butane to gasoline to diesel to JP4 to whatever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion

Every day you can learn something new if you keep your mind open.
That goes for me to.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts