GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased this 2012 last year and never needed or tested the seat heat because it was always too warm. This winter I went for a coup,e of rides and found that the grips worked, but the seat heat did not.

I removed the seat and found that the heat plug was not attached. See the photos for the wire that was attached. It’s has a small square end to it with two mounting points (which were not mounted).

I unplugged it and didn’t notice anything working differently.

Anyone know what this is, why it is plugged into the seat heater plug and whether I can just unplug it and plug the seat in?

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have a link to what pins to ohm on the seat side? I’m on my iPad and my search skills are not that good apparently. I don’t know how to search the forum for two or more words on the iPad where both are required (can do it on the pc, but that’s at the office). I’m getting every post that has only one word.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have two heated seats because I thought the seat on the bike wasn’t working and I bought a used one.

Both seats ohm out on the top second-to-the-left pin (pink wire) to the bottom most left pin (yellow). Both ohm the same and these are the only two that ohm (0 ohms).

If this means both seats are good, and the device that was plugged into the seat was to let the grips work without the seat, would the reason simply be the the previous owner didn’t want the seat to heat or am I missing something? This conclusion doesn’t make sense to me because you can just not turn on the seat.

Attachments

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone have a link to what pins to ohm on the seat side? I’m on my iPad and my search skills are not that good apparently. I don’t know how to search the forum for two or more words on the iPad where both are required (can do it on the pc, but that’s at the office). I’m getting every post that has only one word.

Check this Golwingdocs link - it's detail for a 2008 model - but I think the info would apply

https://goldwingdocs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14143

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That is a dummy load to make the bike think the seat is hookup. Unplug it and plug the seat in and it should heat up. I'm looking in to put my old nonheated seat on my
2013 and need that to make grips work.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That is a dummy load to make the bike think the seat is hookup. Unplug it and plug the seat in and it should heat up. I'm looking in to put my old nonheated seat on my
2013 and need that to make grips work.
Thanks. My limited understanding of how this all works is that the heater control will not heat the seat (and maybe the grips) unless it’s below 55f. If that’s correct (which it may not be) the control unit would not send power to the seat.

To test that, I plugged the dummy decive back in, turned the seat off, turned the grips to max, turned the bike on for five minutes and there was no heat to the grips. There was heat at the grips when it was below 50f when I road two weeks ago.

Am I understanding this right? If so I may not be able to test for some time down here in Houston.

(My times up today to work on this, but any suggestions are most welcomed.j

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I did not find anything in the book about the 55f thing. It did say at idle the maybe the battery voltage be to low and they might not work. And the battery could go dead.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did not find anything in the book about the 55f thing. It did say at idle the maybe the battery voltage be to low and they might not work. And the battery could go dead.
Okay, I’ll try raising the rpms and see what happens. Thanks.

·
IronMan
17,639 Posts
Think the dummy thing makes the grips work without the seat working ?

Reactions: Capt. Bob

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've thought more about this problem.

What was happening is that if I turned both on, neither worked. If I turned the seat off, the grips on and started the bike, the grips would work. That would indicate to me that the device plugged into the harness was not working either. It also indicates that the device is not necessary - all you have to do it make sure the seat is turned off before you start the bike.

Do I understand this correctly? What am I missing?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put the second seat on the bike and still no heat.

Still, I’m looking for an answer for why the dummy device is necessary. If I leave the seat off, the grips still have eat with the old seat, the new seat and the dummy device.

Also, can anyone address which pins should ohm out on the seat if the seat is good?

Thanks,

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,376 Posts
I put the second seat on the bike and still no heat.

Still, I’m looking for an answer for why the dummy device is necessary. If I leave the seat off, the grips still have eat with the old seat, the new seat and the dummy device.

Also, can anyone address which pins should ohm out on the seat if the seat is good?

Thanks,
The dummy load is necessary for the control unit to see a resistance between certain pins that are normally connected to the seat’s thermistors. Without it, the control unit won’t let anything turn on. You have to either have a heated seat plugged in or the dummy load or your grips will not work.

The heater pins are:
1 to 2
9 to 5

If you measure the seat’s thermistor pins, they will vary from 38K ohms to 215K ohms, depending on their temperature.

If the heaters ohm out good, the most likely culprit is the connections on the control unit. The pins can become loose and not connect power like it should. The circuits are the same as this one from an 06-08 bike.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I’m testing the voltage at the bikeside plug.

from top right to left, pin 2, 3 and 5 have 5 volts and on the second row, from left to right pin 4 has 5 volts.

i am color blind, so I can’t really tell the colors except that the top pin 2 is blue, and that’s all i can tell of the ones with power.

does the bike test “correctly” or do i have a problem on the bike side?

(did the pic come. through?)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts