GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I removed my top shelter yesterday, I noticed a plug that was disconnected... and I didn't disconnect it. It looks like it should be connected, but I want to identify it before I connect it.

$64,000 question.... what is this plug?

Close up

Side angle - from right side of bike.

Thank you!
8)

·
Registered
638 Posts
From it's position it looks like the connector for the air temp sensor, which I think is the sensor that is in the throttle body cover that you removed to get to the air filter. However in my bike it isn't white and you would have had to disconnect it to remove the cover. So I'm not sure what it is.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Does it not plug into the female plug that is right next to it? I dont remember that exact plug. The ones that plug into the baro sensor is black. Actually I think they are all black and maybe a few gray ones, except for some of the ones that plug into the ecm. That plug the pic looks clear. I do know for a fact that there is one plug on mine that is not plugged into anything. I remember the first time I did my air filter I must have looked for an hour for that freakin that to plug into.

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
That is the connector for the new choke (coil) that was added to the audio unit ground in 2003.
The coil was added to reduce some of the alternator whine.

On the retrofit noise harness kit for 01 and 02, you cut a wire and solder it in.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/noisefilter

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hey Fred, if I add that to my '02, will that also reduce or eliminate the noise I get in my earbuds from the cruise control and turn signals? If so, do you happen to have the part number?

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
joevano said:
Hey Fred, if I add that to my '02, will that also reduce or eliminate the noise I get in my earbuds from the cruise control and turn signals? If so, do you happen to have the part number?
Here is the noise harness kit part number for 01 and 02 models only (all subsequent bikes already have it from the factory). However, it will not fix the cruise control buzz. I show an easy fix for the cruise control buzz on my new 2 disc update that will get rid of that noise if you are interested.

The harness kit below is to reduce overall alternator whine picked up from the rider and passenger headset harnesses. It adds a choke to the audio unit ground and breaks the headset harnesses out of the main harness so they don't pick up bleed over noise from the main harness.

IC Noise Suppression Sub Harness
for ACG Whine
Honda P/N 32190-MCA-305 Kit
H/C 7230451

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fred H. said:
That is the connector for the new choke (coil) that was added to the audio unit ground in 2003.
The coil was added to reduce some of the alternator whine.
Fred, you're amazing! There is a long component taped into that line that must be the"coil" you speak of. It's hard to see in my pictures.

I thought it might have something to do with the CB unit, as I remember seeing a CB installation wiring diagram on this board once that showed two.... I think they were long diodes or something, that were in-line in the wiring for the CB unit.

So, I guess I should connect it then before I put the shelter back on? My bike is an '04.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

Isn't that the connector for the remote start feature?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Holy moly.... is that what our bikes look like under there? It's almost like seeing your Aunt Mildred nekkid, dissecting an animal, or finding out your parents still have sex. Great. Now I'll never take that damn shelter off! :roll: :shock: :lol:

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Hey Floyd........

I think the plug goes into the automatic Air Cleaner cleaner. :lol:

I hope you're changing out your nasty filter as long as the shelter is off !

Take care my friend...................

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Note the curvy pleats and the dirt patterns that have that "forced in" look... It's obvious Floyd has one of the few RAM Air equiped Wings!!! I thought is was only the Orange ones!! :shock:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
INTHEWIND said:
How many miles were on that filter??

thanks..Randy
26.5K ... yea, I know, it's a little dirty. I sometimes pretend that I'm on a dirt bike and ride the wing through fields and down dirt roads and such. :D :D

Hedo said:
Hey Floyd........
I hope you're changing out your nasty filter as long as the shelter is off !

Take care my friend...................
Dear Mr. Steve; Avatar King,

That is the replacement. I sprayed it with that new Choke Holder stuff to ionize any statically charged foreign particulates in the supercharger.

P.S. I started messing with your avatar in Photoshop/ImageReady yesterday... but I don't think I can post it here. :shock: :oops: :lol:

Back to my question.... I guess I should connect those plugs, right? :?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OK, an update. Fred (and others) if you're still with me, please answer this if you can.

I went to plug that connection back together and the two plugs wouldn't reach each other! It appeared that heat from the engine "shrunk" the wrap that "they" secured this coill to the main harness with, and it got tight and pulled the whole coil (male end) away from the female end. So I would have to guess that this plug has been unpluged for the better part of my ownership of this bike. I cut it loose from the harness, connected it, and re-taped it.

My question is this:
Could this plug being disconnected possibly causse a CB ERROR? I hope so, because I have had a ghost CB ERROR since I bought my bike...even after Honda replaced the CB, and it would be great if this is it. I've had the shelter of a few times previous to this, but I never noticed the plugs disconnected. Then again, I wasn't looking for it, and it was kind of hard to see as they were "real close" to each other and masked by the rest of the harness.

Thanks all, for your help on this.
8)

·
Registered
787 Posts
Soloquest said:
My question is this:
Could this plug being disconnected possibly causse a CB ERROR? I hope so, because I have had a ghost CB ERROR since I bought my bike...even after Honda replaced the CB, and it would be great if this is it. I've had the shelter of a few times previous to this, but I never noticed the plugs disconnected. Then again, I wasn't looking for it, and it was kind of hard to see as they were "real close" to each other and masked by the rest of the harness.

Thanks all, for your help on this.
8)
You just might have solved your CB problem. I had my dealer install the noise harness in my 02 while it was in for the overheating recall. That is when my CB error surfaced. The problem was that one of the pins from the new harness had slipped out of the plug which fits into the audio unit. The color of the wire was green, same as your mystery plug.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts