GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question guys, when I did my oil change, I noticed this wire flopping around. I don't know it's proper routing, but it tucks up against the motor like in the picture. I checked it after a ride, and it was really hot. What the heck is this wire? Is it going to melt?

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
It is the lambda/o2 sensor wire. It runs from the exhaust bung to the harness under the side cover. I don’t even have mine anymore as I have o2 eliminators and Torq Loopz.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Much better engine response in closed loop / low rpm / low load operation. Absolutely perfect throttle modulation. With o2 eliminators, the ECM does not receive lambda signal to lean out mixture to protect the cat in closed loop operation.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
Quick question guys, when I did my oil change, I noticed this wire flopping around. I don't know it's proper routing, but it tucks up against the motor like in the picture. I checked it after a ride, and it was really hot. What the heck is this wire? Is it going to melt?
I believe this is the speed sensor harness that runs from the speed sensor up to a connector in a boot near your right knee cap when sitting on the bike. The O2 sensor harness is black and runs behind the foot peg, farther back on the engine.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good catch. I remember I removed one of the wires and your illustration is correct. It was the other as you pointed out.

I believe this is the speed sensor harness that runs from the speed sensor up to a connector in a boot near your right knee cap when sitting on the bike. The O2 sensor harness is black and runs behind the foot peg, farther back on the engine.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
It's a speed sensor wire and yours appears to be routed exactly as it is suppose to be. Its wire is run through a gray sheath to protect it from heat. The heat in the area is from the coolant hose and the back of the head.

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
Speed sensor grey, O2 is black. It needs to be sucked in at the bottom and routed around the rear master and then under the fairing. It may be out if a previous owner had placed a speedometer correction device.

prs

1 - 9 of 9 Posts