GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some stuff for Gold Wings is just wacky expensive--headsets for example.

Nice home stereo headphones are $40 and a nice computer microphone is $35, so I fail to understand why headsets cost upwards of $250 each. That being said, I found these reasonably priced headsets from Sierra. So, my question is, what is wrong with them? Are they infected with the plague? Splattered with zombie brains? Made from recycled camel dung? If these things will fit in our Scorpion EXO-900 helmets and allow us to talk on the road, why shouldn't we buy them? If they will play music reasonably well through the Honda system, well, so much the better.

Am I missing something, or not getting into the spending spirit appropriate for a Gold Wing owner?

Here is the page: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC-HS-G130

Attachments

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
There are also very expensive headphones along with the el-cheapos. You get what you pay for. Get the good ones for yourself and for others. It's annoying listening to the whistling and static riding with other people who go cheap on their headsets.

·
Registered
818 Posts
IMC Headsets

I have a set that was given to me (used) about 7 yrs.ago
I have used them in a Nolan 100,HJC 3/4 open face, and a KBC 1/2 helmet.
Easy to install with velcro pads or strips.
Speakers are easy to place close to ears due to a very thin design. Sound better than some J&M's I've owned.
Microphone gives good modulation that is clear.
Not as good as Edsets, but you are comparing apples to oranges.

Sometimes higher dollar ain't as good as we are led to believe.
I recommend them as a starter headset if $$$$$ is an issue. You just might keep'em in the end.:thumbup:

Jim

·
IronMan
17,536 Posts
SOMETIMES I THINK IT'S WHAT'S BETWEEN THE HEADSETS THATS THE DIFFERENCE :lol:

·
Registered
19,110 Posts
I use the J&M Elite 629s. But if yours sound better to you than that is great. I really dont know. I have thought of taking some $85 Grado SR85 home headphones that sound good to me and trying the same on another helmet.

·
Registered
998 Posts
There are also very expensive headphones along with the el-cheapos. You get what you pay for. Get the good ones for yourself and for others. It's annoying listening to the whistling and static riding with other people who go cheap on their headsets.
Not I think a better saying is A FOOL AND HIS MONEY SOON PART. In the beginning 15yrs. ago, I tried to buy the best headset I could afford J&M and air (something) was all that was out there. J&M sucked big time but I used them for a lot of years. Found the air rider? better but the mike glue thing kept ungluing. Then I found ED Sets.Major improvement in sound used those a lot of years. Never was satisfied. Found a guy that was making head sets for pilots, at the time he was using Koss 35 mp3mw for the ear phones on the head sets. He made a set I was in hearing heaven. Real Bass, real home stereo sound. Alas he moved on but before he did I bought all his gear that's what I've been using for the last 10 years. I use to buy old J&M sections that attach to the the helmet and Ed's helmet hook up with mike and just solder the ear pieces on for friends. Not any more. Money in the sound system per head set about $35.

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Also, J&M's customer service can't be beat. They never cease to impress me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I've had an IMC headset in my modular HJC Symax II for about 3 years and I like it a lot. At first I did get some wind noise, but I cured that by just putting some tape over the microphone...problem solved. Just bought a Symax III (accident did-in my II) and I'm going to order an IMC for it also. It's not a matter of being "cheap". I just happen to appreciate when someone sells something for a reasonable price rather than the "whatever the market will bear" mindset. Unfortunately, almost everything associated with a motorcycle is "bordering on unreasonable" where price is concerned. That's why motorcycle tires cost more that car tires when they're not nearly as good!

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
The sound system on my 2012 is so noisy that I doubt better headsets would make a difference. Headsets are not the weak link in the sound system. I never have figured out why you can get crisp, clean sound from an iPod the size of, well, an iPod, yet the radio that weighs 10 pounds and is the size of a brick is noisy. I guess it is the same logic that you can build a computer into a cell phone, but they can't build a cell phone into a computer.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I use the J&M Elite 629s. But if yours sound better to you than that is great. I really dont know. I have thought of taking some $85 Grado SR85 home headphones that sound good to me and trying the same on another helmet.
I also have a J&M Elite 629 headset in my Nolan N-43E. It's better than anything I've used until now. I think the quality of the helmet has some to do with it.

A lot of product prices is based on supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Everything motorcycle related is ridiculously priced. If a set of cheap walkie talkies sells for about $30 and are wireless, looks to me like somebody smarter than me could come out with something similar for about $50 to $100 that could be designed to fit inside a helmet or small enough to fit outside and not look nerdy and be powered by the motorcycle electrical system or rechargeable batteries (wireless) that could be recharged while stopped for meals, etc. Voice activated to conserve the battery charge would be great. That would eliminate the need for a $500 CB, plus a $100 antenna; plus a $75 to $200+ headset or two, for a total of close to $1000. In my case, communication between only 2 bikes would be OK most of the time. Good project for somebody who is sharp on electronics; and like I said, smarter than me! Feel free to take my "idea" (or daydream) and run with it! I've heard of the Chatterbox but they're too expensive, also. Meanwhile, I still have a CB that's over-rated and works for a few hundred yards. My cheap $30 walkie talkies are good for about a mile and can receive transmissions from other users of similar units.

Safe riding,
2W

Edit: My walkie talkies don't have a female "audio out" or I would have used them to communicate with my son while riding.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Some stuff for Gold Wings is just wacky expensive--headsets for example.

Nice home stereo headphones are $40 and a nice computer microphone is $35, so I fail to understand why headsets cost upwards of $250 each. That being said, I found these reasonably priced headsets from Sierra. So, my question is, what is wrong with them? Are they infected with the plague? Splattered with zombie brains? Made from recycled camel dung? If these things will fit in our Scorpion EXO-900 helmets and allow us to talk on the road, why shouldn't we buy them? If they will play music reasonably well through the Honda system, well, so much the better.

Am I missing something, or not getting into the spending spirit appropriate for a Gold Wing owner?

Here is the page: http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=IMC-HS-G130
Aren't these the headsets that are made from horse meat?:joke::lol:

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a nice set of ed sets for 150.00 I only used them about 3 months they have been in storage about 3 years . If you are interested call 2294030159 in Thomasville ga.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I just ordered the IMC setup for the EXO900 last week. Figured I would try them and see how they do compared to the more expensive ones. Unfortunately, they are backordered. Hopefully have them in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just ordered the IMC setup for the EXO900 last week. Figured I would try them and see how they do compared to the more expensive ones. Unfortunately, they are backordered. Hopefully have them in a couple weeks.
Im planning to order these next week--end of April 2013. I hope they are not back ordered. Will post reiew here. Here are some reviews and hints.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I Didn't Have Good Luck With IMCs

I bought a set of these IMCs about 3 years ago. The first one messed up before the 2 year warranty was up and I sent it back. The second set also screwed up before the warranty was up and I sent it back. The weak point seems to be at the bottom end of the cable that hooks up to the lower cable. I could wiggle the cord and they would work as long as the cord was tampered with but wouldn't continue to work. Both were replaced free of charge except for shipping them back. The set I have now is working, but I took it out of my helmet because I rode with my son and his buddy and both of them said they could hear me but couldn't always make out what I was saying. I have a screwed up Honda headset that is several years old. I think I'll try wiring the microphone from the non-working Honda headset up to the IMC. I'm using J&Ms right now, one cheap used set and the other is a new Elite version that I haven't even used yet. I haven't tried jury-rigging the IMC yet, but I plan on giving it a try and mounting it in a new helmet I just bought at Cycle Gear.

I hope your experience with IMC is better than mine.

Ride safely,
2W

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Im planning to order these next week--end of April 2013. I hope they are not back ordered. Will post reiew here. Here are some reviews and hints.
I've had J &M's , while they work good, I've had to replace lower cords several times and the clamp system is crap. I bought the IMC's yesterday, hoping they work better. if you order them direct from IMC use the code "hdforum" and get free shipping.

http://imcmoto.com/honda-goldwing-h...-headset-w-boom-microphone-for-goldwing.html#

·
Registered
641 Posts
I've had an IMC headset in my modular HJC Symax II for about 3 years and I like it a lot. At first I did get some wind noise, but I cured that by just putting some tape over the microphone...problem solved. Just bought a Symax III (accident did-in my II) and I'm going to order an IMC for it also. It's not a matter of being "cheap". I just happen to appreciate when someone sells something for a reasonable price rather than the "whatever the market will bear" mindset. Unfortunately, almost everything associated with a motorcycle is "bordering on unreasonable" where price is concerned. That's why motorcycle tires cost more that car tires when they're not nearly as good!

I have the symax11,does the mic attach to the chin bar.Looking to buy new head set the price and write up's sound good for the imc.Also did you buy the HS-G65ex.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I have J&M elites now but I ordered a set of the IMC for the Scorpion helmet. Ordered directly from IMC, I believe. Anyway, they have been backordered for 3 weeks.

I wanted to try them for myself to see how much of a difference there really was between the IMC and J&M stuff.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I also ordered two sets for Scorpion EXO900s direct from IMC Moto. Back ordered!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts