GL1800Riders Forums banner

What is your longest road trip on 2 (or 3) wheels?

• 3 to 7 days

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 to 13 days

• 14 to 20 days

• 21 to 29 days

• 30 days or more

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course, I am referring to a motorcycle road trip. What is the longest you have been gone from home?

Mine is 23 days when we rode from Texas to Vermont and back. Covered 21 states in 23 days!

·
Registered
2,886 Posts
I was actually thru the house last summer. Went to Wing Ding then back thru the UP and down thru the Dakotas. Stopped at home cut the grass washed dirty clothes then up thru Rapid City over to Portland, OR and back home completing the lower 48 states in just a little over 4 years. Guess it doesn't meet the requirements because the house got in the way.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
24 days....Miami to Chicago...got on Route 66 and took it all the way to the Pacific Ocean rode right out on to Santa Monica Pier and then visited 8 National Parks on the way back to Miami.

Also did this in 17 days, Key West to Key West, 10,763 miles...

·
Registered
386 Posts
27 stays in 27 days!!

Left NC headed to Oregon, down the California coast to San Marco's, then back to NC.....

Would love to do it again........... Real Soon!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
Three and a half months..
.. Camping the whole way..
... The summer of '72 on a Honda

Dennis

·
Registered
89 Posts
Only been able to piece 1-2 weeks together for trips. Darn day job. Some day I'll be taking month excursions.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Mine was 20 days Maine to Arizona seeing the sights. The trip turned out to be 8,000 miles and we pulled a timeout all the way. Wish wife was healthy enough to have another camper. We did the trip in '93 with my '89 1500.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Peterborough, Ontario Canada to WV for 3 days to play in the mountains then off to California coast line using mostly back roads all the way west. Then we traveled north through Oregon, Washington, into BC and Alberta back down into Montana and followed the 39th parallel westbound all the way across over the top of the Great Lakes and in to Sault Ste. Marie Ontario and then back to Peterborough. Can't quite remember but it was around 6500(s)miles. and 23 days. That was the year of the great flood in Minot ND. I know we were in it! We were just a bit damp to say the least!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You did not place time period on the pole so it includes a trip strarted in 1970 & finished in 71; 14 months; work gets in the way now, recent longest is 26 days.

I especially like the below, penned by James Richmond (in India) simply entitled Why?

"'Why do you do it?' friends often ask, perplexed,
Brows raised, minds sorely vexed.
'The world out there is dangerous!
Aren't you scared? Why do this?
You need steady work, a house, two cars!
You have only a motorbike, and sleep under stars!'
Dear friend, if you must ask, you cannot know
This curiosity that drives me so.
To you it is hidden; in me rises unbidden!
But one day the world I'll have ridden
By iron steed, then perhaps this need
Will have vanished, finally vanquished!
That day will find me on deathbed,
With no regrets for the life I led.
Will you be able to say the same?
Or will you despair a life worn plain?
I will stake my Himalayan memories
Against your estate of a thousand trees.
Pit my Thai sunset
Against your private jet.
Weigh my horse rides at sunrise
To your Italian suits and ties.
I'll rejoice in friends before I go,
Not the figures of my stock portfolio.
And, amazingly, there are more like me;
They reject slavery, and are truly free.
They took the chance we all had,
And honestly it makes me sad
That you didn't.
You thought you couldn't...
What?
Live without the luxuries
Of all our modern amenities?
You choose the bonds of mortgage, but claim to be free,
Wasting a lifetime absorbed by TV.
Why watch it? but live it!
One life's all you get!
Don't put off 'til morrow and continue to borrow
The lives of strangers; 'tis the greatest of dangers
To the soul
Which grows old
Before its time.
Hercules, Columbus,
Guevara, Odysseus,
Champlain, Agamemnon,
The list goes on...
What have they in common?
Regardless man or god,
The soil of continents they trod,
Not in search of gold but adventure!
Not growing old 'cause they ventured
Far from safety; but far be it from me
To Judge...
--------------------
The pitiless pity us
With souls black pitted.
Pray! save it for those less spirited.
For us... our horizons are unlimited."

·
Registered
488 Posts
Not sure which way to answer. I just returned from a 9 day 2300 mile break in ride on the wing since I only had it for a month. Just made my 1st payment.

Two years ago I made a 5200ish mile trip from Alabama up to SD over to Montana/Idaho around Yellow Stone , the Tetons, down to Arches National Park, back through part of Canyon Land, to meet the Mrs. in Steamboat Springs for a few days then 4 long hard days of rain to get back home. ( I got caught in a storm system heading west to south east)

This trip was just a bit over 3 weeks but not sure if staying in a condo in Steamboat Springs counts even though we only road the bike for our day trips. So counting those daytrips it was around 6,500 miles.

Best trip ever even with the rain. This was on my HD roadglide. I want to make it again on the Wing.

My plans are to one day do the 4 corners and the Alaskapade. That is why I bought the Goldwing! :lol:

·
Registered
249 Posts
my longest ride

May 2014 I rode 9870 miles in 21 days. Touching all 48 states. (benefit ride for Childrens Miracle Network - rideformiracles.com). From Columbus Ga going west ziz zagging through states on lower half, then returing east across the upper half of states. Raised just ofver $260,000.00 for the local Children's Hospital.

2010 Goldwing, Level III.
Darkside Michelin Alpin CT
Mustang Seat
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, Purolator Oil Filter

·
Registered
488 Posts
May 2014 I rode 9870 miles in 21 days. Touching all 48 states. (benefit ride for Childrens Miracle Network - rideformiracles.com). From Columbus Ga going west ziz zagging through states on lower half, then returing east across the upper half of states. Raised just ofver $260,000.00 for the local Children's Hospital.

2010 Goldwing, Level III.
Darkside Michelin Alpin CT
Mustang Seat
Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, Purolator Oil Filter

Awesome!!! I work in a ER at a Children's Hospital and we can use all the help we can get. Thanks for your efforts.!
Tom

·
Registered
285 Posts
Our longest single trip was 7 months in Europe. In total we spent 22 months in Europe and 45,000 miles.
We are currently in the 4th month of a planned 8 month tour of the east coast of the USA.
Read all about it at www.bobkatsjaunt.com. We are currently in Philadelphia.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
A 25 day trip to Alaska in 2013 covering 9,400 miles is longest to date. A return trip to Alaska taking about 35 days is in the planning stage.:thumbup:

Fred

1 - 20 of 53 Posts