GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out what setting to use on my rear preload.

Riding one up @ 6' tall, 215 lbs. the setting for my stock 2001 Wing was 17 (0-25 possible)
Once I added a Progressive spring my preload setting was 7.

On my 2012 riding hard in the Ozarks and curvy roads of Western Wisconsin, 3 or 4 feels about right.

Is anyone else finding the rear end stiffer on the 2012 ?

Thanks,
Mark H.

·
Registered
137 Posts
On my 2010 I'm riding one up with preload set at 17. The bike is stiffer but I find that when it corners, especially on rough road, that it feels much better when it is set high.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
No offense meant, but this seems to be a 'how do you like your steak cooked?' question.

I haven't had a chance to ride enough to comment, but I tend to change my pre-load depending on the roads I'm going to ride. Up to 25 for the twisties, and down around zero for flat riding. I will probably play around with it to find my 'sweet' spot.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've found that my preload setting didn't vary much off of 7 on the 2001. Maybe 9 at Deals Gap or Buckhorn. Although the pavement is rough on Buckhorn (maybe 8.
Once again I had progressive rear spring and front fork oil 5 weight higher than stock.

Two up loaded 11 to 13. Over nine years the settings just clicked but, in two weeks I can't dial in the 2012.
I think that the give in the gel seat and busy front fork is throwing me off. I can't believe that 3 seems good for twisties.

I really like this bike.

Mark H

·
Registered
863 Posts
i'm set at 25

·
Registered
26 Posts
I love my 2012

I set mine at 3 and it feels good on the freeway, have not been able to play hard yet in the turns. my 08 i used 8 for 1 up:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I keep mine set at the max only so that I can clear the entrance to my driveway. Any softer setting and I drag the engine on the concrete.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
Since they seem to wear out early and really don't start working to about 3 or 4 when new and maybe 7 or 8 after a few years, I put mine on 25 the day i got it and have never touched the button ( 50,000 miles) again.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
keep mine on zero unless i'm gonna due bunch curves ( not many in fl ) or loaded up for trip go to 15 got 29 inseam n with a cushion like to keep it low

1 - 11 of 11 Posts