GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, folks...

Been busy a long time and didn't even know Yellow Wolf had sold his Wing! If ya'll see him, wish him well for me.

But, I have been wondering what the average general time for riding the Dragon is ... seems some sportscar types are as hyped up on the Dragon as some sport bike riders. I dunno...just an interesting question.

Does anyone have any times for the ride?

Ride safe...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
60 minutes....I like to stop and see the different views.

Does this count? :lol:

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
Oh, let's see.... 11 miles at about 20 mph (well, may average less than that), plus pulling over for anyone that comes up from behind. Hey, at least the furniture truck didn't pass me last time!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL...

I LOVE those SWIFT trucks gettin hung up on the curves but the big loggin trucks...now those will slow ya down! :shock: :shock:

Personally, I never had my co-pilot check the time but I bet it's a lot slower than we think. There is at least one sportscar driver that says he has done it in 16 minutes + and with less traffic thinks he can do it in 15.

Hmmmm...reckon he has to break a few road rules to do it? :shock:

Thanks, guys...

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Kikker said:
This is funny.

Bill, is that time with or without passing on blind curves or any double yellow lines?
I agree.

I ran it four times on a trip there in October. I did not time myself, and never would. Anyone with experience there knows that running it for a time is a recipe for disaster. There are way too many slower vehicles to deal with.

Let's face it, anyone who is interested in how fast their time is undoubtedly wanting to run it as fast as they can, and wanting to improve on their time.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Kikker said:
This is funny.

Bill, is that time with or without passing on blind curves or any double yellow lines?
I've passed on the bike :oops: . But not in the Cooper; the Cooper is smooth but doesn't have the stones to rocket past anything.

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
my best is a 11:30 ,2 hrs into my 24 hour iron butt ride there!!!

i avg 13:25 over a 24 hr time frame!

not one blind pass,no close calls,knowing the road is most of the battle!

even met one 18 wheeler on that ride on my last 3 laps,talked with him on the c/b and posed no problem!

i dont advise running the gap for time,or trying to beat anothers time due to the dangers of doing this!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I am a tad on the conservetive side so you could clock me with a sundial :shock: . I have ridden the dragon several time and have survived each one. :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Not sure how to figure in the photo op and snack times to get a good average. :lol:

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
i beat Yellow Wolf from the lookout to the store once

of coarse i started about 10 minutes ahead of him

·
Are we there yet?
2,344 Posts
KA7W said:
You guys are criminals !! There are laws in regards to how fast you can drive on public roads in this country and if you break them, You are a criminal !!! You should be put in jail, your bike should be taken and sold !! :wink:

No excuse for being a criminal :wink:

JMHO 8)
I guess that makes us all darksiders huh? Welcome to our world guys. Whats this world coming to? :lol:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
14:59 on VTX 1300c
14:30 on the 04 Wing
14:00 in a Mitsu 3000 VR-4

2 years later, ran it again and got 14:30 on the Wing. <sigh>

David M.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
ever time I run the gap on every curve I get in my own way and that just kills my time. I like to run the gap with other bikes, stay with them and never drag anything that is working on my style and smoothness;

1 - 20 of 24 Posts