GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 GL1800 and need to replace both low beams as they are burned out I think. What is your opinion of how high of a Kelvin rating I should use to replace them. I spend more time at night riding with low beams instead of High beams due to traffic on back twisty roads. It seems that anywhere from 4,000 Kelvin to 6,000 Kelvin show up online for H7 bulbs. I know that lower Kelvin ratings are more yellow in color and higher kelvin ratings are more blue. My thoughts are going about 5,000 Kelvin but not sure if I am correct for my riding conditions.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
There are many online sources. Some are good. Many have questionable quality, longevity and specification compliance.

IMHO, if you buy anything other than SoCalMotoGear or Electrical Connection products, you have a higher risk of disappointment. These companies will provide what you need for your wing, including the right color light projection.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I used to use Silverstar Ultra H-7's in all 4 spots and loved them on my 2003 GL1800A. I see very white light much better and these delivered. I don't know the K temperature but the color of light is fantastic for my eyes.
Product Font Material property Poster Advertising

·
Registered
135 Posts
"We often get the question: “Doesn’t a higher number mean it’s brighter or better ?”. The short answer – NO. When talking about an HID bulb Kelvin Color temperature, a 4100-4300K HID bulb is the brightest Kelvin Temperature you can get. This is the OEM coloring specification on most vehicles with factory HID headlights for a reason. "

6,000K is pretty popular, but I think mostly because it appears 'whiter' and a bit more 'modern', but 4300K seems to be the OEM HID colour and there appears to be a reason for that.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I used to use Silverstar Ultra H-7's in all 4 spots and loved them on my 2003 GL1800A. I see very white light much better and these delivered. I don't know the K temperature but the color of light is fantastic for my eyes.
View attachment 409070
I think I’m running the same bulbs, seems to range around 10-12K miles before they burn out.
I can’t compare them to any other bulbs during night time riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I think I’m running the same bulbs, seems to range around 10-12K miles before they burn out.
I can’t compare them to any other bulbs during night time riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ran the Ultras once. I didn't like the shorter life span.

I'd probably do the EC LEDs anymore, if I didn't already have a set of Clearwaters.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I try to keep the Kelvins at or below 5500 to remain white. I think at 6000K, the illumination begins to look bluish - to my partially colorblind eyes anyway. I do the same for the LED's I've been purchasing for various 110v applications around my home, both inside and outside lighting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I ran the Ultras once. I didn't like the shorter life span.

I'd probably do the EC LEDs anymore, if I didn't already have a set of Clearwaters.
I didn't like the shorter life span either but I could buy them on eBay for cheap and keep a couple in the trunk and change them out in 3-4 minutes and be back on my way. The increased visibility was worth it the inconvenience of the shorter life to me. I could see so much better with them.

Reactions: JoeHall and Walrus

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
I didn't like the shorter life span either but I could buy them on eBay for cheap and keep a couple in the trunk and change them out in 3-4 minutes and be back on my way. The increased visibility was worth it the inconvenience of the shorter life to me. I could see so much better with them.
Meh, I didn't notice that much of a difference with them. The Clearwaters are the way to go, albeit pricey. Mine been threw a nasty highside, smashing one right into the asphalt and never shut off. I'm still running them. Also they are always on. I had them on for probably 150,000 miles. Awesome CS too. They got a customer for life.

My buddy just put el' cheapo LEDs in his wing. High and Low beams. I believe they were under $20 a pair. He said they really made all the diff. I'll wait till he gets a few miles on them and then I may buy a pair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts