GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 GL1800. Can someone please tell me if we are still able to use the Access #27 for a spare key for the ignition?

Shadow1

Hal

·
Vendor
22,240 Posts
I've had a hard time finding the Axxess 27. Most places around here only carry the 27R with the rubber head.

The good news is that the 27R will fit in the newer bikes now, because the ignition cover panel is different. Though I haven't yet tested it with the steering lock to see if it can be pressed in all the way, but it looks like it will work.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The good news is that the 27R will fit in the newer bikes now, because the ignition cover panel is different. Though I haven't yet tested it with the steering lock to see if it can be pressed in all the way, but it looks like it will work.
Won't work the steering lock of the 2008's. When I first tried the new 27R key and it didn't work I thought the copy was bad 'till I read about the differences between the 27 and 27R here on the board.
I'll stick to the 27, which seems to be readily available at our area Wal-mart.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Extra key for right faring pocket

There was a thread concerning the use of a cut down key to keep in the right faring pocket lock all the time. I think it was this board. Any way could not find the knob called for at Lowes, but did find one I could use at a Tractor Supply store. I measured the key in the faring pocket, marked the length, cut the key and mounted it into the knob with a little JB Weld.

Now I leave it in the faring pocket lock all the time, opens the faring pocket and gas tank lock. Does not open the trunk or ignition. Makes life a little easier.

Doc

·
Registered
42 Posts
Don't know what you call the blank but I got a spare key made yesterday for my 07 wing and the locksmith said it was the same as Honda Accord and other Honda cars. He had to fiddle with it and re-cut it three times to make it work in both the ignition and trunk but now it works. I zip-tied it to a frame support by the dipstick out of sight under the side cover.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts