GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase new driving lights for the lower front cowl. I have a new chrome cowl ordered from Hal and I am thinking it would be a good time to also install the lights. I would appreciate any and all opinions on this purchase.

thanks guys..............

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I chose ion fog lights over driving lights. My goal is to be better seen, not to shine brights lights at oncoming cars. Personally, I find bright driving lights that are oncoming, or on a following vehicle, to be very irritating and a significant safety hazard since it makes it more difficult to see in the direction the lights are coming from.

JMHO.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Go for the EC lights for sure. But wait till the Sale Starts. See the General board for Sale Details.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I had an opportunity to see an 1800 the other night that had aux lights mounted below the mirror housing. The extra lights so badly washed out the turn signals that I could not even tell one was on (he was turning left). Just something to consider.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
LEWIS, You just asked a good question. I guess in all honesty I haven't given that any real thought as you put the question. I was actually thinking about more visibility for cage drivers to see me, plus I would like a little more periphial lighting after dark. I noticed different lites have different wattages. I do not want to turn them on and then upset oncoming traffic after dark with too much lite.

One thing I have definitely noticed is when I am riding in a group the ones with the cowling lites always seem to stand out quicker and better. It seems to me that they even stand out better in the day time.

I guess my personal opinion is that more lights will save more lives than loud pipes. :)

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I feel that the stock headlights lights provide more than adequate lighting for night riding.

I went with the EC Ions.I was looking more for visibility to oncoming traffic,and feel that these accomplish this.They are more yellow than white,so stand out a little better in my opinion.
Also,they are supposed to be better in fog,but in 22,000 miles,I haven't got the chance to test them in fog.
The instructions for these were very good.

The only problem that I had was that the Duo Lock fasteners that hold on the protective covers melted.I contacted Lewis,who put me in touch with Cee Bailey and they sent me a new set of fasteners.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I also went with the E/C lights - great kit and easy to install. Not so easy to adjust, but I think you'll get that with any of them.

Unlike Jeff, I never had a problem with the fasteners for my Cee Bailey fog light protectors (which were included with the package - no extra charge).

Maybe the reason my fasteners never failed was because I never installed them?? I was always too busy, felt I'd get to them eventually, yada yada yada. Guess what?

While doing a pre-ride check the other day, I found one of my lenses cracked and broken. The light still works, but now I need to try to replace the lens. I think I'll also buy the new style cover that attaches flush with the cowl, as well.

For all the other procrastinators out there, you might want to check these things again - I've also got the Cee Bailey headlight guards that are sitting on a shelf. I think that when I get a free minute this winter, I'm going to install all these things, as well as re-adjust my armor in my riding clothes to get it in the right position for me.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Installed the Platinuim series from e/c. The side road area does light up more, but not front view. They do just what we expect, make us very visable day and night. Do not believe they blind on coming cars at all, have never had anyone flash lights back at me.

M

·
0 Posts
Installed the Platinum series from EC also. Top quality, great fit and finish. Lewis has a great company and excellent customer service.
:sw1:

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I now have the Tulsa lights. My wife bought them for christmas.

I was unaware that she did not like the little round pop outs on the lower cowl. I did not want the lights and probably will never use them after I install them.

The new grips she bought will go back.

It seems my words : " dont buy accessories for the wing " were not listened to.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Tony in AZ said:
I now have the Tulsa lights. My wife bought them for christmas.

I was unaware that she did not like the little round pop outs on the lower cowl. I did not want the lights and probably will never use them after I install them.

The new grips she bought will go back.

It seems my words : " dont buy accessories for the wing " were not listened to.
Maybe your wife is trying to tell you something! Are you listening?:hun1:

Does she ride with you? Maybe she wants to feel safer while riding... or maybe she just wants you to be safer.:D

Must be nice to have a wife that wants to buy stuff for your Wing. :s27:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts