Registered
5,697 Posts
Plain soft leather work gloves or mesh mechanics gloves for me. YMMV

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Icon Pursuit

Fox Motocross gloves

The Icon gives more protection, but the MX gloves are comfy and my hands don't sweat

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Fox creek leather out seam gloves.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Deer skin or perforated leather with full fingers. Rain does not seem to have too negative a effect on dear skin.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I like the Held Airstream II in hot weather, but they are a $150 glove. Like most things, pay a little more, get more.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Olympia 402 full fingered, perforated leather gloves with gel palm inserts. Every time I wear mine out, I try something else, but always end up buying another set of Olympia's. Best summer gloves I have ever used. Very comfortable, and inexpensive. The only drawback is that I wear them out every few years, and if you ride in the rain with them, the dye will bleed and turn your hands black.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/248/i/olympia-sports-402-perforated-gel-gloves

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
Im torn between full finger and the half finger types.ThanksGene m
Gloves are for protection (and does help with grip but that's not the main purpose).

So the question is - do you want your full fingers - or half of your fingers in the event of something happening?? :shrug:

Me - I'd rather sweat than bleed.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Deerskin ropers from Aerostitch.

They feel broken in right out of the box.

I get a new pair every year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
I know I am going to open myself up for ridicule here, but here goes anyway.

I fully understand the stance taken by ATGATT riders, but I just can't follow in their footsteps. I spend all winter bundled up like an Eskimo trying to beat the cold and snow, dreaming of summer when I can shed the heavy, bulky clothing. Once summer is here, I'll be damned if I am going to dress up like an Alberta Clipper is coming through on a hot summer day. I make what I think are reasonable accommodations for safety. I wear a helmet, although it is a 3/4. I usually, but not always wear a jacket with body armor. But I also limit the rest of my gear to jeans and tennis shoes. My gloves are no different. I wear gloves, but I wear them for comfort and for better control of the bike, not necessarily for safety, although any pair of leather gloves will provide a certain level of protection.

I would have to give up motorcycling before I would dress up like I live in Siberia every day. Having to do that would take all the enjoyment out of riding for me, and make it not worth the bother. Given those two choices, I will stick with my choice of gear.

I see ATGATT riders every day that ride so dangerously and aggressively that they are a far higher risk of getting killed or seriously injured than I am with my tennis shoes and lightweight gloves. We all have our own way of managing risk. Riding safely and avoiding dangerous situations is mine. Some riders dress for an accident. I ride to avoid accidents.

·
Registered
525 Posts
+1 for the LarryM response:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Suggesting that a motorcyclist has to be bundled up like "they live in Siberia" demonstrates a lack of knowledge regarding current protective gear.

A pair of Held Airstream II gloves, a Darien Light (or similar) jacket w/pants, motorcycle specific boots and a full-face helmet hardly qualify for a Siberian winter. The irony of course is that you would be not only be better protected than the typical tennis shoes and shorts rider but also more comfortable on a hot summer afternoon....

To the OP..not sure I understand your dilemma: Gloves w/fingers vs gloves w/out fingers...??

The gloves with fingers will help protect your digits..
The gloves without fingers won't.....

:shrug:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Army aviator gloves. used them 1968 and they're the best going.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
I know I am going to open myself up for ridicule here, but here goes anyway.

I fully understand the stance taken by ATGATT riders, but I just can't follow in their footsteps. I spend all winter bundled up like an Eskimo trying to beat the cold and snow, dreaming of summer when I can shed the heavy, bulky clothing. Once summer is here, I'll be damned if I am going to dress up like an Alberta Clipper is coming through on a hot summer day. I make what I think are reasonable accommodations for safety. I wear a helmet, although it is a 3/4. I usually, but not always wear a jacket with body armor. But I also limit the rest of my gear to jeans and tennis shoes. My gloves are no different. I wear gloves, but I wear them for comfort and for better control of the bike, not necessarily for safety, although any pair of leather gloves will provide a certain level of protection.

I would have to give up motorcycling before I would dress up like I live in Siberia every day. Having to do that would take all the enjoyment out of riding for me, and make it not worth the bother. Given those two choices, I will stick with my choice of gear.

I see ATGATT riders every day that ride so dangerously and aggressively that they are a far higher risk of getting killed or seriously injured than I am with my tennis shoes and lightweight gloves. We all have our own way of managing risk. Riding safely and avoiding dangerous situations is mine. Some riders dress for an accident. I ride to avoid accidents.
I am closer in opinion to Larry than most others on this, but even he surpasses my cavalier attitude. I wear no gloves unless my hands are cold and that is a rare occurrence. I would rather bleed than die of heat stroke. So in hot weather I ride in a pocket "T" shirt, Nikes, half helmet, and blue jeans or light weight tear resistant pants. If I had to wear all that garb, I would probably sell the bike.

prs

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Suggesting that a motorcyclist has to be bundled up like "they live in Siberia" demonstrates a lack of knowledge regarding current protective gear.

A pair of Held Airstream II gloves, a Darien Light (or similar) jacket w/pants, motorcycle specific boots and a full-face helmet hardly qualify for a Siberian winter. The irony of course is that you would be not only be better protected than the typical tennis shoes and shorts rider but also more comfortable on a hot summer afternoon....

:shrug:
The problem is, the gear that is within my budget IS bulky and hot. It's not a lack of knowledge. It's a lack of income. This sport is already insanely expensive. Yeah, there is some incredible tech out there. Cool, lightweight, and highly protective, and also incredibly expensive. I could not possibly keep up with technology considering the cost. Hell, I cringe at spending $40 on the Olympia's I buy. But $150? Not a chance. I'm not cheap. I just live within my means. I won't even dare add up what I have actually spent on protective gear. I would probably throw up from the nausea.

There aren't too many motorcycle riders out there that have the income level to justify putting that kind of gear in their budget. It's like these inner city kids spending $300 for a pair of Air Jordans.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
For years I always rode in tennis shoes, a teeshirt, jeans and no gloves as much as possible, even going to the extreme of seeing how cold I could endure. Like others I thought it just too much torture to wear much in warm weather. I never had an accident so thankfully no road rash, but I did get lots of sun burn, and was always terribly dehydrated in hot weather. I still thought it better than wearing gear. Finally after 20yrs or so of this I got the first vented jacket ever offered and was surprised being covered was actually an improvement, then later ditched the vents for full gortex and find I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable. Any glove is better than nothing, but gloves that don't have a velcro or similar strap to keep them on your hand are of limited use. If you can simply pull off a glove, trust me, the road will pull it right off for you in the event of a slide. Look at the Held Airstream II or similar gloves with decent velcro if you really want the protection in a summer glove. Sorry to preach.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts