GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are just about as many reasons to ride as there are riders. But a few reasons I can think of include:
  1. Some enjoy riding so that they can socialize with others that like to ride. It's s very cool thing to have a common social activity and share it with loved ones and friends. They enjoy the brotherhood of riding and love to team with others to knock out some social deeds for the community.
    [/*:m:2bdpg9bv]
  2. Some ride because they feel the rebel spirit of motorcycling personified by James Dean, Marlon Brando, Easy Rider, and the posters of a guy riding a chopper with his finger in the air. Its the individuality and rebel attitude of the ride that led them into motorcycling, and they are inclined to perpetuate this calling for others.
  3. Some just like to ride the country side on a motorcycle where they can taste, smell, see, touch, and hear everything much better on their bike than they can in a car. Cars have their purpose but they ride to go beyond that experience These are the sight seeing and "Living" motorcyclists. They may only put in 300 miles a day because they love to stop and smell the roses. Motorcycling to them is as much off-bike as it is on-bike.
  4. Some ride because it is the cheapest mode of transportation. They are attracted to motorcycles because they are cheaper than cars (most of the time anyway), they get better gas mileage, finding a parking place is easier, and they can manage to commute a little zippier than you can in a car.
  5. Some ride as a hobby. They're the weekend warriors and vacation riders. Camping, Kayaking, bicycling, wood working, R.C. airplanes, and other weekend outings just don't excite them. But getting on a bike and riding to a distant motorcycle gathering or hangout is the kind of enjoyment they can seek their teeth into. The social aspect may be an added dividend, but they just like to get out and ride when they have the time.
  6. Some ride for the thrill. Scraping pegs, smoking the tires, passing a crotch rocket, catching some air... man, life just doesn't get better than this. Their motto, "You aren't living unless you challenge death every once in while." Simply put, they are the thrill seekers.
  7. Some ride to push their physical limits. The Iron Butt Rally is their calling. At the end of the day they look back and say, "Man, I just knocked out something that only a small percentage of people can do!" When they reach the end of their riding day they pretty much can't imagine riding another mile until they've relaxed for the night.
  8. Some ride just because they can. Driving a car is boring. Its like stepping up from a tricycle to a bicycle, the skill involved is part of the thrill on its own. Its a roller coaster ride with the control in your hands and feet. This reason doesn't necessarily fall into the thrill seeker context, but oil and coolant runs through your veins and you just can't feel the sensation of the road in a car that you can on the bike. Even dropping the bike when you park it gives you something extra, picking it up means you are barely in control of the beast... in the bike and in yourself. [/*:m:2bdpg9bv]
All of these reasons are very valid and good reasons to ride. I think on any given day we may have more than one of these reasons in mind, and on another day some of the other reasons become the motive. I don't think there are any purists in any one area, they all blend as we are mutable by the nature of the throttle. And every make of bike out there can fit within all of these styles. No one motorcycle brand or model is the perfect bike for all.

But we do often identify with one or the other. Which motive is yours? Why do you ride today? What other reasons can you think of?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
In this order: 3, 8, 2 and parts of others indiscriminately.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
1 2 3 5 6 7 8 . I enjoy so many aspects of riding a motorcycle. I feel it’s a part of who I am. But what truly bothers me is this dividing of cycling into groups. Why can’t we all just enjoy ? It’s not going to happen and we know it. But at least we can except individuality .
I have chopper friends. Harley friends. Gold Wing friends. Rice rocket friends. I have to separate them. Each will not except the other. Now think about it. How would you except me if I rode up to the wingding on my chopper with my tore up pants and ear rings ?
What a world we live in today. So I dress the occasion . To bad I can’t afford the bikes to go with it.
Strange how we all share one thing in common (cycling) yet we divide in groups and scoff at the others. Im guilty of it myself.

·
Registered
601 Posts
6 .. Definately 6..
I love the thrill of Speed..

6. Some ride for the thrill. Scraping pegs, smoking the tires, passing a crotch rocket, catching some air... man, life just doesn't get better than this. Their motto, "You aren't living unless you challenge death every once in while." Simply put, they are the thrill seekers.
I led a guy on a crotch rocket on the ride of his life a week or so ago...
He was impressed that the Goldwing would perform that well.
He was behind me on the highway on my way home from work, and the (Evil) Yellow Streak spoke to me.... "Go Faster, that Crotch Rocket is way too close to us." .. so I did... 8)
I took off, he followed.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Yep, I do...... 8)

·
Registered
552 Posts
G-Funk said:
1 2 3 5 6 7 8 . I enjoy so many aspects of riding a motorcycle. I feel it’s a part of who I am. But what truly bothers me is this dividing of cycling into groups. Why can’t we all just enjoy ? It’s not going to happen and we know it. But at least we can except individuality .
I have chopper friends. Harley friends. Gold Wing friends. Rice rocket friends. I have to separate them. Each will not except the other. Now think about it. How would you except me if I rode up to the wingding on my chopper with my tore up pants and ear rings ?
What a world we live in today. So I dress the occasion . To bad I can’t afford the bikes to go with it.
Strange how we all share one thing in common (cycling) yet we divide in groups and scoff at the others. Im guilty of it myself.
Well said G-Funk... fortunately all my friends share the same love of motorcycles as I do and don't discriminate one group from the other as we are or were those groups. One day we can be on our crotch rockets blasting the twisties, the next day we can be on our dirt bikes riding some knarly singletrack, and then the next day we can be riding our wings on a 600 mile ride through the country side.

Thankfully there are several individuals on this board that share my same views, and are not so ignorant that they have to slam other groups of motorcycle riders, or pretend that the bike they own is the best one made and all other motorcycles suck. Those are the type of people that I have no tolerance for and try to avoid.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started riding for the thrill. It sure beat the heck out of my bicycle. Ever since then I've ridden in search of perfection. As we all know, perfection is never met. But I'm always challenging myself to put together the perfect ride. I'm not a thrill seeker although I do occasionally push myself more than necessary on the technical rides. But I simply ride because it is so much fun. Stop and smell the roses? Naw, I ride for the ride. Iron Butt is not a fascination for me because of all the documentation and witnessing required. That's stuff that doesn't enhance the ride and I'm too lazy to put a lot of effort into documentation.

I have done an SS1k but it was because a friend of mine was doing one and had planned out an all interstate ride. I wanted to show him how to make it a fun ride and still get it easily accomplished. So we went on a ride that took us over Sonora Pass, into the Mojave Desert, by a bunch of reservoirs and back up along the Pacific coast. When we were done I was still eager to ride some more. We only put about 50 miles total on the interstate.

Riding is a blast. When I ride to Yellowstone, Bear Tooth Pass, the Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Gulf Coast, and into Mexico I don't do it for the roses. Its just a good excuse to ride. It's why my wife and I ride pretty much alone with each other. Social riding means a lot of stopping and socializing. I wish I could be more social, but it takes away from the ride. Its like going to Disneyland and sitting all day to shoot the breeze with friends. I'd much rather ride. I do admire and somewhat envy the folks that band together and make an impact to the community. And the rides to the barbecues are a treat that I wish I could slow down and enjoy. But for now, I just prefer to ride.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
3 & 7

#4 makes it affordable although I think that by the time I get done with the purchase, maintenance, accessories, insurance, the extra miles that I put on it (taking the L O N G way home) and the cost of the social events with overnighters (!), I think we can forget #4. (Whew, that was a long sentence.)

Aw, who cares! Let's just go for a ride and have some fun. :D :D

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
3,8,2,6 :biker:

Or maybe its 8675309 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
1, 3, 5, 6, 7, and a little of the rest. I ride at times and to places I would not normally do in a car. It is also a way to heighten your senses and be a patient defensive driver. It then carries over to the car.

I also like the wrenching aspect as well.

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,701 Posts
I ride because my wife tells me to..........Yes, Dear!

Bob E.

·
Registered
567 Posts
because I can!

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The alive kind :shock:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts