GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious what kind of riding other people prefer; riding alone, riding with a buddy or two, riding in a larger group, etc.
Though I like the companionship of riding with friends, a vast majority of my riding is alone. I really prefer riding when there isn't a lot of traffic, so I ride very early in the morning. For example, I left home at 3:15 this morning and rode 125 miles through the canyons northeast of San Diego. There aren't a lot of people that want to join me at that hour. :)
I'll bet there are a lot of different prefernces out there. What's yours?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I really enjoy a nice back twisty road wiht no traffic and a few fellow goldwingers, cant forget my wife on her 750 trike

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Wife and I prefer backroads to interstates. Just doing our own thing. Group riding is OK but I have been left in the middle of no where without a gas gage and that ain't fun. I made it back ok but do not ride with others on long trips. Much more peaceful. I can stop when and where I want too. Go where I want and never have had a serious problem with a Goldwing, that couldn't be fixed.

We prefer to just do our own thing, whatever that may be.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Good question, it will be interesting to see the various answers. Myself, I like to ride with one or two other people. Im not real big on group rides, though my GWRRA chapter is a great group of folks and we do several group rides each year to various places. I do ride a lot alone. I prefer twisty mountain roads, but I would bore most riders on this board to death. I ride at maybe 10 over at most usually. I don't push the bike that hard. I pretty much dawdle along and look at the scenery and wild life. I enjoy meeting and talking with other riders on the road. Even the hard core Harley guys in this neck of the woods are good folks. I hate riding in the rain. Mostly cause I low sided a yamaha at speed in the rain years ago and just havent gotten over it. Lived through it, actually with little damage, but it sure left a dent in my recollection game if you know what I mean.

G

·
0 Posts
Sometimes I like to just blast down the Interstate at 80 mph,
other times I like the back roads at a slower pace.
I love twisty roads, but there arent many here in Kansas.
I do not like to ride in a group.

·
Registered
8,255 Posts
I like both.

Riding alone has it's benefits - you can go at your own pace, stop when you want, alter your route when you want.

Riding in groups is nice too - especially with a CB. I like having other riders around. The part I hate is: "What route would you like to take?" "I don't care." "Where do you want to stop?" "I don't care." I know some groups in other cities who have ridden together for years and they seem to be on the same page about rides. I'd like to be a part of a group like that.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Depends...

For company:
I like taking holidays with my wife where secondary roads are preferred.
Small groups are fine - but only for about 2 weeks. (Unless you've ridden together a lot over several years.)
Larger grouups are fun for single day or weekend rides. (I don't like the 2.5 hour lunch break or the 1.5 hour coffee breaks.)

For weather:
I love it when the roads are dry and it is about 15° above freezing.
I'm not too keen on the super hot summer days. (especially when it is also muggy.)
I'm also not too keen on snowy days (but sometime you got to go where the road goes, and that means the pass.)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
riding preferences

I do a lot of shall we say aggressive enthusiast style riding on the Texas sweet twisties or up in the hill country. I usually do this alone but enjoy the challenge of another rider or two if they think they can hang with me. But I also enjoy a leisurely paced cruise through some of the more scenic regions. The only time I ride to the letter of the law is when I'm two up with my woman. I hate freeways and heavy traffic but must tolerate it. T. 8)

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am a fair weather rider (easy here in Vegas), who does not like to ride with a group. I do like to ride with my better half on the back and will ride with her whenever she can come along. Not to many twisties here, lots of open roads though. Love this bike! :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
Either two up with my wife or with a group of not more than 5 riders, all on the back roads of Texas leaving at around 6:00AM and doing about 300 miles!

B

·
0 Posts
I like going to rallies.

I like meeting other bikers and trikers.

I like talking and eating with them.

But I like riding alone most of the time.

·
Squating Member
7,058 Posts
I guess we're a mix rider also. The wife and I like riding with our close riding friends, we have somewhat of the same likes and dislikes, which makes it easy to ride with them....I also like riding with just the two of us, stopping and going when we like, and my close riding buds are the same.

We also ride with our Blue Knight Chapter, dinner rides etc...which is fine. Even going to BK conventions together is OK. We make sure each understands that we're grown folks and don't need to be babysitted, go when you want, come back when you want. If one set wants to go somewhere and some of the others don't, that's fine, we don't pressure each to "Have to come along"....guess that comes from riding with each other over the years...

Now that the wife is getting her Silverwing triked out, I can see us riding alone more...but that's fine with us......

I'd also ride with any board member, everyone seams like fine people!!
The ones I've been lucky enough to meet confirms that!!!! :D

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
I love all riding. But riding alone is my therapy; riding with SO is part of sharing life; and riding with a group is a social outing...all different.
I like cruising along the ocean; zipping through the country; and flying down the highway...I love it all!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts