GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen posts about favorite roads. Certainly the "Dragon" is high on a lot of lists. However, there are many that would say they have better roads near their home. So, what exactly is the criteria for a "good" road to ride?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

This route is about 135 miles of some really beautiful countryside. At 135 miles it may look like a nice afternoon ride, but it's deceptive. Zoom in a little and you find it to be a very technical and difficult ride for even the best of us:

My point is that while this is a "good" road, it's not a leisurely one. The scenery is great, but if you're looking at the scenery you could find yourself in trouble.

So, what's the right combination? Personally I like to travel at a "smell the roses" pace. I get enough adrenelin from other activities. A "good road" to me is one that has nice vistas and sweeping curves (y'all can have that hairpin stuff). One without too much traffic and is relatively well maintained. Around here one road that fits that description is Hwy 178 between Inyokern and Lake Isabella. Not the most breathtaking to be sure, but a nice ride any day of the week, any week of the year.

What are your qualifications for a "good road"?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
It all depends upon why I am doing a particular ride. Sometimes I am out for the "riding" and sometimes for the scenery -- as you indicated, makes a big difference in the pace. And, the same road can serve both purposes. The purpose might also help me decide if I take the Wing or the FJR also.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
At my age, they are all good roads. If you happen to have your best friend with ya (Meesh) then it is even a better road.

Bulldog

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
I love twisties or any high speed romp thru the countryside by far and away the most. It keeps my riding skills honed and techniques sharpened plus it's just more satisfying to me but sometimes like to casually explore some backroads at a more leisurely sightseeing pace. Also when the wifey is in the queen seat it's only about slow paced sightseeing. 8) Terry

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Bulldog said:
At my age, they are all good roads. If you happen to have your best friend with ya (Meesh) then it is even a better road.

Bulldog
Well ok, if you insist Bulldog. I'll try Rastoff's roads with Meesh then. :lol:

Kidding of course.

My definition of a good road is what you laid out Rastoff, especially on the second screen shot. I'm not always in to smelling the roses, but sometimes that can be nice too.

The Dragon is way low on my definition of a good road as it is just too busy.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Based on your criteria, Hwy 162 from Quincy to Oroville just before dusk would be your perfect ride.

Rastoff said:
We've all seen posts about favorite roads. Certainly the "Dragon" is high on a lot of lists. However, there are many that would say they have better roads near their home. So, what exactly is the criteria for a "good" road to ride?

Here is an example of what I'm talking about:

This route is about 135 miles of some really beautiful countryside. At 135 miles it may look like a nice afternoon ride, but it's deceptive. Zoom in a little and you find it to be a very technical and difficult ride for even the best of us:

My point is that while this is a "good" road, it's not a leisurely one. The scenery is great, but if you're looking at the scenery you could find yourself in trouble.

So, what's the right combination? Personally I like to travel at a "smell the roses" pace. I get enough adrenelin from other activities. A "good road" to me is one that has nice vistas and sweeping curves (y'all can have that hairpin stuff). One without too much traffic and is relatively well maintained. Around here one road that fits that description is Hwy 178 between Inyokern and Lake Isabella. Not the most breathtaking to be sure, but a nice ride any day of the week, any week of the year.

What are your qualifications for a "good road"?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Interstate 80, across Nebraska, has a lot of pluses....
No wear on steering head bearings. (not too many curves. OK..so there's only three!)
Almost no wear on the brakes
Not too hard on the suspension.
Definitely no danger of high altitude power problems.
You can give the GPS a rest.
Cruise control doesn't overshoot on hills. (What hills?)
No danger of scraping a peg. (Unless the cross winds get real bad)
You won't miss the scenery. (First mile looks just like the last)
Yeah, it just don't get any better than that.
OH! Yeah! Here's a map.... X_______________ :biker: _________________X

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Registered
242 Posts
A warm dry clear day, long sweepers and fresh pavement I have particular little stretch of highway in So. Colorado that comes to mind. Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
Riding with friends definitely can produce moments of euphoria. Late in the day with just the right amount of fatigue, a great sunset and a great road all set the stage for a memorable experience. It's too bad that I always forget to grab a picture to put some of that feeling away and save it for a rainy day. If we are talking just about roads though, I really like highly technical roads with a great surface. I like the turns to be rated for 20 to 40 mph which means driven at 40 to 60 mph. I like the lower speed stuff because I feel I will survive a low side if it occurs and I can hear the music a little better. The Dragon has the ideal surface condition, minimal bumps, and corner speeds for playing around near the limit. There is also a great canyon road (Hwy 141) up the Western edge Colorado (along the Utah border) that was pretty great one day, but maybe it was the friends I was sharing it with.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
PAVEMENT
:D

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Generally I'm content with little traffic, ample twisties, liberal speed laws, good bar-b-que, and a hot chick behind me.
If the weather is good, that's icing on the cake.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
If it has a sign that says, "Curves next 140 miles, tractor-trailers not allowed beyond this point" then it is definitely worth checking out.

If you want to take a virutal ride on the ultimate road (and have the time and bandwidth), check out http://haverkamp.com/movies/hwy36-lan.html

At any rate, Hwy 36 in Northern California and Bear Tooth Highway in Montana... only motorcyclists understand. If you haven't ridden them, no one can accurately describe them to you. They are the E-tickets for motorcyclists.

Hw 155 from Glennville to Lake Isabella is good for the soul as well!

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Dorian_Blue said:
If you want to take a virutal ride on the ultimate road (and have the time and bandwidth), check out http://haverkamp.com/movies/hwy36-lan.html
Cool, Mike; cool.
I need to get out west some time.
The roads around here are more technical but long graceful sweepers have an allure all their own...

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
That road looks like a great one to me, Doug! Any road like that is great, as long as there isn't some cage poking along in front of me!

I tend to enjoy more technical ones when it comes to riding pleasure. Beautiful scenery is certainly a bonus! If there's a lot to look at, I may turn around and take the road again at a more leasurely pace - or at least try to. :)

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
Cool, Mike; cool.
I need to get out west some time.
The roads around here are more technical but long graceful sweepers have an allure all their own...
Oh, that road does have a serious technical section, the videographer just didn't capture it. Not to mention the portion through the giant redwoods is awe inspiring as well. Come on out and we can put it through the paces! (No barbecue but I hear the clam chowder is the best on earth!)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Ok high desert man, i've been on most of that road, did you tell the guys that from bodfish to the 58 its almost a one lane road and i have had to stop and honk to get the cattle off the road,your right, its technical in places. My alltime favorite road is hwy 20 (i think thats the #) its from ft bragg off hwy one and runs to willits ca. its 4 lane, brand new ashault and cut from rows of huge pine trees for miles and miles. very fast and banked turns, its like your on a rollorcoster. oh no, its 10:24 am and 42 degrees, i'm going for a ride- see ya

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
Rastoff that road sure looks like one that i would like to try

lots of different opinions about fun roads, many don't like Deals Gap but i think its great just to many folks getting carried away there

hear lots of folks in love with the Cherola skyway, its a nice fun road but not really one of my favorites, maybe i was just expecting to much

same goes for Push Mountain Road in Arkansas, its a fun road but i think i was expecting to much the first time i went there

some of the roads hi on my list are
Bear tooth Pass
Chief Joseph Highway
the Road to Ten Sleeps
Going to the Sun Road
Deals Gap
Million Dollar Highway

there's a lot of great roads out there and its fun finding them just by accident sometimes

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Bear Tooth is a great ride did it a couple of years ago - make sure you do it in early summer. I found one a little closer to home in West Va. Route 219 I got on it in ELKINS West Va. and enjoyed every minute of it - Twist, Turn all banked and blind - I would not like it after dark or in the rain. Anybody else run this route?

750valk

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Dream Catcher says

Interstate 80 across Nebraska, has a lot of pluses...
We went across NE on 80 one month in '05 (actually it took 2 days). :x When we stopped in Scottsdale for breakfast, my wife told me to get her out of Nebraska ASAP and we'll figure out getting to the Black Hills once that's done.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Lack of traffic makes for a better road. I recently had one of my best rides ever. It happened because I was never stuck behind traffic in a twisty section. Sure there was some passing being done, but it was always safe if not legal.
The best roads are the ones newly discovered or linking familiar rides in a new way.
Oh, I also like the drive thru Yosemite from the Valley to Tuolumne Meadows then down to the Mono Lake. Alas, you will almost never find a lack of traffic there.
:D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts