GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My list, in no certain order of importance:

1.) Preferabbly undeveloped surrounding, at least very sparsely developed. Scenic vistas a plus.

2.) Lots of curves with "gainers", "sweepers", and opportunities to "pass yourself going the other way".

3.) Surface in excellent condition, not too worn, and ruts/pot holes repaired quickly.

4.) Proper banking of curves; a rarity on old roads here in the east.

5.) Sparse traffic.

6.) Huge changes in grade, especially in the curves; the steeper, the better.

7.) Relatively free of berm gravel spray.

8.) Enough length to make it dynamic; that is, you can't just memorize a few miles and run it in your sleep.

Yep, the more of these qualities any one ride possesses, the higher I rate it. So take a familiar road and rate each item on a three point scale where a 1 means "the road does not meet the criterion", 2 means "the road somewhat meets the criterion" and 3 "the road defines the criterion". My eight items have a possible maximum score of 24; I rate the Dragon (not picking on dragon lovers, just a well know example) as 15 (2,3,2,2,1,1,2,2). I have never seen a 24, yet -- I know, I know, go West young man.

You guys and gals have different opinions, and even some better rating criterion, I am sure.

prs

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
9.) NO "Lance Armstrong Wannabees" on BICYCLES!

:nojoke:

·
Registered
641 Posts
When I did Mt. Lemmon here is southern AZ a few weeks ago, the road was great, the weather perfect and the scenery awesome. The road was covered with at least 100 people on bikes. Some were riding three wide. It is their choice to be hit by a car, truck, or bike but it still hurts to hit one. I cranked up the ipod so they could hear me coming.

It is a great twisty only 10 miles from my house!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
My list, in no certain order of importance:

1.) Preferabbly undeveloped surrounding, at least very sparsely developed. Scenic vistas a plus.

2.) Lots of curves with "gainers", "sweepers", and opportunities to "pass yourself going the other way".

3.) Surface in excellent condition, not too worn, and ruts/pot holes repaired quickly.

4.) Proper banking of curves; a rarity on old roads here in the east.

5.) Sparse traffic.

6.) Huge changes in grade, especially in the curves; the steeper, the better.

7.) Relatively free of berm gravel spray.

8.) Enough length to make it dynamic; that is, you can't just memorize a few miles and run it in your sleep.

Yep, the more of these qualities any one ride possesses, the higher I rate it. So take a familiar road and rate each item on a three point scale where a 1 means "the road does not meet the criterion", 2 means "the road somewhat meets the criterion" and 3 "the road defines the criterion". My eight items have a possible maximum score of 24; I rate the Dragon (not picking on dragon lovers, just a well know example) as 15 (2,3,2,2,1,1,2,2). I have never seen a 24, yet -- I know, I know, go West young man.

You guys and gals have different opinions, and even some better rating criterion, I am sure.

prs
US 191 from Morenci to Alpine, AZ may not make a "24" but will get close.

1-3: Isolated, a three hour ride from almost any population center and very scenic.

2-3: Has it all, from 1st gear hairpins to 100 mph sweepers spread over 90+ miles.

3-2: Depends on time of year....early in the season there can be rough spots and debris in the corners.

4-3: No negative banking.

5-3: Little traffic and no LEOs, I have covered the whole 90 something miles on a weekend day and not seen another vehicle.

6-3: Starts out around 2000 MSL and climbs to 8000 MSL.

7-2: depends on time of year....see #3.

8-3: 90+ miles, as many times as I have ridden US 191 I will still be surprised by parts of it.

Not a "24" but "22" ain't too shabby.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I missed the 191 loop ride a few weeks back. I think it is about 500 miles round trip. I would like to do that soon. An all day affair that should be very fun with a mix of all types of scenery and road types.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Hard to say which one local is the best, we have so many. Some go to the desert and some go to the mountains, you can even take one (Ortega hwy) to the beach, so it all depends where you want to end up. I like them to be away from population, variety of left and right turns with some tail light checkers mixed in.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
1) Good pavement
2) Visibility far enough into/through the curves to minimize surprises
3) Limited traffic - especially the site-seers

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Twisted Asphalt

Gravel roads bring sustenance and goods to our homes and markets.
Concrete slabs join large cities and serve as our nations’ veins of commerce.
Urban streets guide us to work on weekdays and parks and malls on weekends.
Yet, there are other roads, cursed by cagers but cherished by bikers.

Sometimes roads curve gracefully along the banks of undulating rivers.
Often they hang precariously from hillsides, skirting tall mountains.
Usually they’ve been forgotten by straight minded highway engineers.
These are the blacktop ribbons we affectionately call Twisted Asphalt.

Twisted asphalt is where, leaning is good and chicken strips are bad.
On twisted asphalt, euphoria is measured in long sweepers and endless twisties.
Twisted asphalt is a traveling anomaly a journey and a destination.
Twisted asphalt is a rider's life-blood, feeding his soul and lifting his spirit.

Free verse by: Ron Haidenger, 2007

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
That 94 mile ride from Glide, Or. to Crater Lake on 138 is one of my favorites.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Roads with a good FLOW to them. (Cherohala, 28, Gap) are examples of roads with flow.

Ones that tilt me from one side to the other in rapid succession.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Highway 12 from Lolo, Montana to Lewiston, Idaho. Almost no side roads, great scenery, and 200 miles of sweepers.
+1

Another good set of roads here in Washington State,

Highway 7 from a point due east of Eatonville to Elbe

Highway 101 along the west side of the Hood Canal -- between the 101/104 junction and -- say -- south of Hoodsport.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mt St helens

Natural Forest Rd 25 and 99 by Mt St. Helens are the best roads in WA state, and are rated DH4 and DH2 in the "Destination Highways" motorcycle roads book. I rode them just last week and they meet nearly all the above criteria. I met more motorcycles than cars on the road a must do if you're inthe area.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ha! Blessed are the crooked.

Bubba1; "no negative banking", excellent terminalogy! That is what I meant to say. Then you report a 22/24! WOW! I have nothing around here to come close to that.

jjsC6; "visibility" is one I certainly forgot! That is a HUGE pit-fall in most of our Appalachian twisty rides, we have TREES -- lots of trees and lush weedy over-growth of the berms. This is a decidious rain forest. It is rare to be able to be able to see far enough for safe emergency braking if you dare ride at the upper speeds the roads will otherwise allow. After the leaves fall and soft weeds die back (marijuana harvested) you can see much better, but gets a mite chilly.

prs

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Ha! Blessed are the crooked.

Bubba1; "no negative banking", excellent terminalogy!

jjsC6; "visibility" is one I certainly forgot!
prs
I would get mighty bored if there were no "negatively banked turns, no dusty parts, or 100% visibility". Might as well ride Hwy 50 through Nevada.:shrug:

·
Registered
4,643 Posts
Try the Dragon on a nice January or February week day when there hasn't been snow recently. Gets very close to your 24. In warmer months, try it on a workday evening (but, before the "twilight racers" come out).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts