GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the old post of anything mentioned Mic-O-Peg as I am considering purchasing a set. The reason I am interested is I am trying to get away from the heat flow from the radiators. I will be speaking with Dan Duffy next week.

Their website says the DD are the most popular and I am considering them because of the inward peg keeps you tucked in behind the top shelter and out of the radiator flow. I currently have Kury floorboards on the horizintal bars and I really like them but all of that heat across my legs takes its toll and I tend to overheat.

Do you all who run models other than the DD have any input? I do like the outward pegs also but I am affraid they will put me in the heat flow. Is that the case?

I would be interested in hearing from you model DD owners as well.

Bryan

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have the DD model. I am about 5"9" with a 31" inseam. In talking with the people at MOP, they suggested either the DD or another model, which I do not remember. It is a different riding position but it does get your feet/legs away from engine heat. I believe you can reverse the pegs on the DD model to have inboard or outward facing pegs.

MOP's did have a pretty liberal return policy so you are not out much to try a couple of sets if your first choice does not work out.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm 6'2" 195lbs and run KA's. I can almost straighten my legs out all the way. I was running Kury Ergo Switchblade pegs with 6" arms and they were scraping. After reading a few posts on here, I thought them a bit dangerous and switched to Mic-O-Pegs.

I did a SS1000 with em and they helped a lot.

I believe KA and KD are for the taller rider.

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I am using the E.5D mounted on the vertical bar to keep from dragging. ddking (Dan) knows what exactly I have because he had to help me sort it out by changing the blocks. I don't notice any heat using these.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
8,016 Posts
Heck, I get confused with the model names with the ****-O-Pegs, but I have the outboard model with the heavy duty springs. I'm 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam. I went with this model because they offered the most leg stretch with just a slight bend at the knee. With the heavy duty springs you can use whatever foot peg you want.

I can position my feet in three different positions, my legs are below the radiators heat stream and I never feel any heat. I find the ****-O-Pegs very comfortable. Ground clearance is not a issue and the stock riders foot pegs with touch before the ****-O-Pegs mounting block will in tight curves. The chrome is first rate....mine are 7 years old and still look new like.

Here's a picture of my ****-O-Pegs

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo47/Roadie_2008/****-O-Pegs2.jpg?t=1263693951

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have the EF model with heavy spring mounted on the vertical bars for max clearance in curves.Engine heat is not a problem to me.I'm 6'1" and have a slight bend in the knees.Work great for me!
Johnny

·
Registered
86 Posts
i have the DD pegs and 29 inseam. i really like the way they tuck in out of the way and i like how they let you rotate your hips down and relieve some of the weight on your butt. very comfortable, the downside is in most any corner you have to raise your foot or drag the pegs.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Oh boy...after 40k in two years on my wing, I'm still having problems getting comfy. I'm 5'10, 30" inseam, 280lbs. No A$$.

At first I didn't want my feet out to far, (keep pressure off my tailbone) so I did the DD's. I had to switch them out, they killed my knees, I'm more pigeon toed then I thought.

Went to a KD (K something I think it's was a KD) with a round peg, ended up getting numbness in my right foot.

Sent those back for the same but with heavy springs, (like Roadie's picture) mounted up some Kury ISO wings. Fixed the numbness, but my knees start to kill after 400mi a day. I can't pinpoint what the problem is.

Thinking about doing a different seat this winter. (Getting sick of the Wal-mart seat pads, wheelbarrow intertube.) See if that helps with the tailbone and knees. Then take another look at switching the legs out again. :coffee1: Hopefully I get it figured out by the time the bike rolls on 100k, or I need a knee replacement. :rolleyes:

If this sounds like you, and you found a solution, PLEASE let me know.:bow:

All in all the MOP guys (Jim and Dan) are GREAT people to deal with. If you have an issue they will make it right. I wish more of these aftermarket companies were such a pleasure to deal with after the sale.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I had the ones that mount to the vertical bar (can't remember the name), but took them off as they were not very comfortable. If I were able to limit the downward travel they would have been fine. When they were all the way down my legs rode on the fairing. So they sit in the garage.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I like that idea of the heavier springs and the pegs. You mentioned you can position your feet in three positions, what's the third position? Regular stock pegs, then the mic's down, are you able to rest your feet on the pegs and they stay in their up position?

I'll go back to the site and check out the heaver spring models. I know the models are confusing and I might be able to figure it out on the site but have you remembered what model your's are?

The news about being out of the radiator heat is good, thanks.

Thanks to all of you and anyone else that wants to comment, I appreciate it.

Bryan

Heck, I get confused with the model names with the ****-O-Pegs, but I have the outboard model with the heavy duty springs. I'm 5' 10" with a 30 inch inseam. I went with this model because they offered the most leg stretch with just a slight bend at the knee. With the heavy duty springs you can use whatever foot peg you want.

I can position my feet in three different positions, my legs are below the radiators heat stream and I never feel any heat. I find the ****-O-Pegs very comfortable. Ground clearance is not a issue and the stock riders foot pegs with touch before the ****-O-Pegs mounting block will in tight curves. The chrome is first rate....mine are 7 years old and still look new like.

Here's a picture of my ****-O-Pegs

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo47/Roadie_2008/****-O-Pegs2.jpg?t=1263693951

·
Registered
934 Posts
I've been very happy w/mod.KA's (32"inseam)for the last 7yrs or so until lately when I have developed a hip problem and can no longer extend my leg around the fairing. Wont give up on MOP's - but will be switching to the mod. DD. Great product, best chrome job in the business and Jim's #1 to deal with. If interested I have a set of KA's in VG condition for sale or trade. Pics available.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I like that idea of the heaver springs and the pegs. You mentioned you can position your feet in three positions, what's the third position? Regular stock pegs, then the mic's down, are you able to rest your feet on the pegs and they stay in their up position?

I'll go back to the site and check out the heaver spring models. I know the models are confusing and I might be able to figure it out on the site but have you remembered what model your's are?

Bryan
Bryan....I have that exact set up and the exact body type. 5'10" with a 30" inseam.

Position 1 - top of my foot (upper pad) on the peg (leg bent)

Position 2 - middle of my foot on the peg (leg less bent)

Position 3 - heel on the peg...toes pointed out (leg almost no bend)

Position 4 - back of heel resting on top of the peg (leg fully extended - NO bend)

Position 5 - stock pegs

All 5 positions relieve some sort of pressure in all very different places.

My only issue...sometimes the inside of my calf touches the engine corner and I get a heat ZAP. Not a big deal though.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have the DD model which I bought about 3 months ago. I like the idea that my legs are straight down, but agree about having to raise you feel off the pegs in a curvy situations. Had a bit of a learning curve on how to get my feet on the pegs without looking down, but now it is second nature. My legs are behind the fairing not around it, and I find the position very relaxing. Agree with the quality of the product and dealing with Jim. Hope this helps. Ride safe.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I had the ones that mount to the vertical bar (can't remember the name), but took them off as they were not very comfortable. If I were able to limit the downward travel they would have been fine. When they were all the way down my legs rode on the fairing. So they sit in the garage.
Call Jim **** and tell him what's going on and I'm sure he'll work with you to get a model that fits. He'll be back from Wing Ding next week.

I like that idea of the heavier springs and the pegs. You mentioned you can position your feet in three positions, what's the third position? Regular stock pegs, then the mic's down, are you able to rest your feet on the pegs and they stay in their up position?

Bryan
All models EXCEPT DD, ED and E.5D (as well as their L counterparts) now are heavy spring models. The best peg to use with them is the Rivco Flat Foot peg. It's billet aluminum and the chrome is superb. Be sure to tell us if using Rivco as it needs some slightly different mounting hardware. Several Kury pegs will fit as well.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hey Dan....

LOVE those Rivco Pegs....can I use them on my MOP's?

Do you remember the model I got?

Its the ones in the photo above on the Orange wing.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I can't remember if you have the new or heavy spring version. Yours are a K-something and the Rivco peg can be used on them. When you got your pegs, did they have two 7/8" long coupling nuts with them? And did you pay $329.95? If so you could mount it but you would need to add two 5/16 lock washers, one on either side of the coupler. That's four washers total. Mount the coupler in place of our peg, then put a washer inside the opening over the bolt for the Rivco and screw it into the coupler. It looks like it was made for our mounts. I'll post a picture when I get a good one.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I can't remember if you have the new or heavy spring version. Yours are a K-something and the Rivco peg can be used on them. When you got your pegs, did they have two 7/8" long coupling nuts with them? And did you pay $329.95? If so you could mount it but you would need to add two 5/16 lock washers, one on either side of the coupler. That's four washers total. Mount the coupler in place of our peg, then put a washer inside the opening over the bolt for the Rivco and screw it into the coupler. It looks like it was made for our mounts. I'll post a picture when I get a good one.
I have the heavy spring version I believe....I paid $329.95. I have that exact set up like the photo above...pegs sticking outward up by the engine with the Kury pegs on the ends using the super long screw that the Kury came with.

The Rivco look to bend up when not in use?

If you wouldn't mind posting pictures of what I will need to make those Rivco's work...because I really like them.

Do the Rivco adjust up when not in use like in the photo? The Kury's are stationary pointing outbound.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Yes, they had the coupling nuts...but I don't remember if I used them or not with the kury pegs.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
I'll try to get pictures taken today at Wing Ding. The Rivcos will be stationary like the Kury pegs. They come with extra parts that cannot be used on our mounts. Unscrew the peg from them and use only the peg itself. The Rivco pegs will mount just like the Kurys but you will need two stainless steel or chrome 5/16 lock washers or two one inch long 5/16 coupling nuts which do not need to be stainless steel. (The coupling nuts we sent you for Kury pegs are 7/8" long.) It's possible you will need one lock washer with the 1" long coupling nut. I'll know more as soon as I can get the parts myself. Ace or True Value should be a good source.

• Just unscrew your Kury pegs and change to the longer coupler OR
  • Take the coupler you have off and add a lock washer between it and the MOP leg. (You can put it on the back side of the leg if you wish.)
  • Tighten.
  • Put lock washer on the threaded end of the Rivco mounting bolt and screw into coupler.

You'll love the way it looks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts