GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a new 2012 wing and was wandering what the most popular aftermarket mufflers are. The stock mufflers are just too quiet. I traded in a Harley and I kind of miss the loud pipes. I just want this bike to be a little louder with a mean exhaust note. I'll bet this 6 cylinder would sound good with the right pipes. Any advice will be appreciated. Don't want to spend a lot of money on pipes that don't sound good.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just bought a new 2012 wing and was wandering what the most popular aftermarket mufflers are. The stock mufflers are just too quiet. I traded in a Harley and I kind of miss the loud pipes. I just want this bike to be a little louder with a mean exhaust note. I'll bet this 6 cylinder would sound good with the right pipes. Any advice will be appreciated. Don't want to spend a lot of money on pipes that don't sound good.
One, but not the only, prime reason for buying a Goldwing: They are quiet.

ride safe,

snappa

·
Registered
628 Posts
:agree: Had the Harley , bought the Goldwing & it needed a little tone. I got the Torqmasters & I'm happy with them. If you google Torqmaster & get their phone # you will talk to Jimmie. He is the owner & builder, can answer all your question & make your decision much easier. With the Torqmasters you can change the sound at will, Jimmie will explain. I have only had mine for 2 years & the quality has been very good. :thumbup:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the two I've been looking at. Did this change the way your bike runs? Did you have to add a computer mod or fuel management device?

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's the two I've been looking at. Did this change the way your bike runs? Did you have to add a computer mod or fuel management device?
No, just installed the exhaust & rode. I normally get 40mpg & I ride a little on the fast side.:thumbup:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mufflers

Vance and Hines is coming out with mufflers for the wing.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
The computer will recognise the aftermarket muffler and adjust accordingly. You'll lose power over the stock setup. How much is anyones guess. Not too much, but sounding "good" is generally more popular than sounding "normal" despite the loss of usable power.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would have to take out a loan to buy those v&h pipes. There $800. I thought you increased HP with performance mufflers. I put a high flow filter and true dual exhaust on my Harley and gained about 3 or 4 HP.

·
Registered
19,054 Posts
The wing is not designed for a high flow air filter. Louder is not neccesarily more powerful in this case and may actually be slower. Money would better be spent on improved handling. All Balls, Fork brace,Centramatic, Traxxion set up, Anti Dive fix, better or new tires.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
The computer will recognise the aftermarket muffler and adjust accordingly. You'll lose power over the stock setup. How much is anyones guess. Not too much, but sounding "good" is generally more popular than sounding "normal" despite the loss of usable power.
I have no idea where you got that idea,But it just isn't true!!
In fact Torquemaster says that you'll gain 5hp.

I would have to take out a loan to buy those v&h pipes. There $800. I thought you increased HP with performance mufflers. I put a high flow filter and true dual exhaust on my Harley and gained about 3 or 4 HP.

I have the Torquemaster Daytona's on my bike right now. I like the slash cut look of them and the sound.
You can as was said,pull the baffles out in 5 minutes if you decide you want more noise.But the vaffles don't come with them! they are bought seperatelt for under $40.
So you may not even want them,But be forewarned.

Every aftermarket muffler has a 3K drone that some just can't handle,and sell a near new set of mufflers on the for sale board all the time.So there is your chance to be patient and save a couple hundered bucks.

I got mine for $180 shipped.

As was said.Talk to Jimmy at Torquemaster he is a stand up guy.:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Go with the TorqMaster TorqLoopz along with their mufflers and there will be no "drone".

Anyone reporting these mufflers will reduce performance just don't know what they are talking about.

In addition to TorqMasters own Dyno runs, I have a product report from Windy City Wings Newsletter showing about a 5% increase with the Torqmaster mufflers and another 5+% with the Loopz added.

I have seen no dyno reports showing a "Power Loss", ever for these mufflers.

Those Vance & Hines sound and look good, but $800??? :shock:

(VIP PRICE: $753.29)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I put a high flow air filter and true dual exhaust on my Harley and gained about 3 or 4 HP. I've always heard that if your engine breaths better you gain HP.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
I've been running Alley Kats (highly polished stainless steel w/turn-downs) for about 3 years now and like 'em!!!! Numerous multi-day road trips, plus usual just around town type riding. Nice mellow sound for normal riding; but good raspy sound when you get on it or let it "back off" on a long decline. Just like "what's the best oil, or wax, or tires, or ....."; everyone has their own opinion.

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I've been running Alley Kats (highly polished stainless steel w/turn-downs) for about 3 years now and like 'em!!!! Numerous multi-day road trips, plus usual just around town type riding. Nice mellow sound for normal riding; but good raspy sound when you get on it or let it "back off" on a long decline. Just like "what's the best oil, or wax, or tires, or ....."; everyone has their own opinion.
Who in their right mind would put a good sounding set of mufflers on a dang school bus,That's what I want to know! :shrug::wrong:

Forget the Mufflers you should of just bought a decal set.:thumbup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
Anyone with TorqMasters have some audio/video to share?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've decided, I'm going to get some Torque Masters. They sound pretty good on the you tube videos.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts