GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on rebuilding my forks,and am almost done,but ran into a snag.
When I removed the dampener bolt in the bottom of the left fork,I rounded the socket in the bolt head a bit so decided to replace it.
Honda dealer didn't have it,so went to the hardware store and found one.
Besides not having it,Honda dealer wanted 2.50.Hardware store .25

Put the forks back together,instaled on the bike,and ready to install the front wheel,but I can't get the axle through.
I spent an hour trying to figure out why it wouldn't go through,even though everything appeared to be lined up perfectly.I was tapping it with a rubber mallet.

When I tried to pull the axle back out,I realized it was stuck,and had to use a drift to knock it back out.

Turns out the bolt I got at the hardware store has a slighty larger head and is sticking out into the opening for the axle enough to not let it go through.It is not obvious at all to the naked eye,but it made a mark on the axle.

Now I have a couple choices.I can order the Honda bolt and remove the left fork and replace the bolt,or I think I can take my Dremel and grind the current bolt head down enough to get it out of the way.

Right now I'm done for the day and leaning towards the Dremel tomorrow.

Time for a drink...

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Been there, shortened the head. Dremel it, but it will reduce the depth of the hex hole for the wrench. If at the next disassembly the wrench slips in the hole you can always drill the head off with a 5/16 bit. Now when I need a new bolt I use the bolt store version and shorten the head from the back on my lathe. This is only needed on the left fork, the fork on the right fork is counterbored deeper.

S

·
0 Posts
Gee Jeff , I happen to have a couple spare right here , I know Redeye does as well . ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
Be prepared is my motto!! The price is right but delivery will cost!! :doorag:

Redeye

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I think Redeye has a spare bike in his parts bin - it just is in kit form......

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
When it comes to riding, I always try to use the RIGHT parts.

Sorry you had such a hard time.

Ya shoulda let us all know what you were doing. We've already had one fork work party this year.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When it comes to riding, I always try to use the RIGHT parts.

Sorry you had such a hard time.

Ya shoulda let us all know what you were doing. We've already had one fork work party this year.
It wasn't really planned.I heard a noise and decided to check it out.Next thing I knew I had it all torn down:shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts