GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a new rear spring for my wing (thanks Hal) and am going to install it pretty soon. While I have it apart I want to top off my rear shock fluid.
The adjusting motor doesn't start working till it reaches #8 and this will be a good time to fix it. What type of fluid it used in the rear shock?
Thanks
Pap

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fred, I will have to get some from Hal. By the way I just ordered your DVD set. Maybe after watching them I won't have to ask many more questions.

Pap

·
Registered
16,907 Posts
Hey Ho Pap!

I did what you are planning about a year ago; but did not add the suspension fluid until tonight. Make sure you get the spring compression tool and lightly oil the threads on the tool. Stu Oltman described a method for replacing that spring on the bike without having to completely remove the hydraulic pump. A search here may find it or maybe someone has it archived. A real time saver. To add or even change out the suspension fluid, follow Fred's video. I was able to accomplish the addition of fluid by simply removing the two bolts holding th epump to the frame and one electircal connection on the pump, then doing the rest of the work like Fred shows, but with the shock and other wiring harness still in place on the bike -- very easy and quick -- except I got too carried away in loosening the housing bolts and ended-up with a suspensio error display -- see other post placed this evening.

Of course; we likely really need new shocks and I hope to give Max my business one of these days.

prs

·
Registered
148 Posts
amsoil, shock therapy suspension fluid #10 medium in the front and rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts