GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the fall I bought a new 2015 GL 1800 Air Bag and put about 2500 km on it before putting it to bed for the winter. I love the bike and it is a huge improvement over the Vstar that I had previously. One thing that surprised me was that the transmission seemed a little clunky. The tranny on the Vstar seemed silky smooth by comparison. I have spoken to a few people and there are varying opinions. Some seem to think that this will smooth out as the bike is broken in while others suggest using a different type of oil. I would appreciate anyone's advice on this

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
This is a subject that will get you a ton of reply's and not all of them pleasant. Oil seems to be a very personal choice. For me, 10W40 Mobil 1, works well and transmission seems to shift smoothly. But that's my experience. There will be others along with their experiences and feelings on the subject. Congrats on your new ride and welcome, I think you'll find this is trial and error until you find what provides the sweet spot for you.

·
Vendor
17,784 Posts
Your Wing will always shift best with new oil and in cold weather. Our transmission like those conditions best. As for it getting better, unless there is something wrong with your tranny, that advise is most likely a myth. The best oil for you Wing is Honda GN-4 conventional oil. For your year Honda wants 10w-30.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
GL1800 transmissions ARE a little clunky. 10W-30 or 10W-40 non energy-conserving (motorcycle oil). I'm use Mobil 1 4T Racing 10W-40.

I short-shift 1st to 2nd.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I ride one-up exclusively and find my 2010 has plenty of power to start out in second. Learned about developing this habit here in a previous thread. A smooth takeoff, no "jackrabbit" launch, with no first-to-second clunk. Not that it is better, or makes any difference, but I am currently running Valvoline motorcycle specific 10w-40.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
I have rode well over 100 gl1800's . Some tranny's are just clunky shifting . In my personal experince synethic oil makes the shifting smoother . My current 2008 is one of the smoothest I ever rode no matter what oil I use . I have ran amsoil , Mobil 1, and currently she'll rotella 15-40 diesel oil . 250,000 miles on her BTW .
OH and I moved this thread to appropriate board !

Reactions: AGAUWING

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have rode well over 100 gl1800's . Some tranny's are just clunky shifting . In my personal experince synethic oil makes the shifting smoother . My current 2008 is one of the smoothest I ever rode no matter what oil I use . I have ran amsoil , Mobil 1, and currently she'll rotella 15-40 diesel oil . 250,000 miles on her BTW .

Shhh, Rail...don't tell anyone you are using Rotella DIESEL oil in your bike! :wink2:

Now, you've really opened the can of worms!! >:)

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Shhh, Rail...don't tell anyone you are using Rotella DIESEL oil in your bike! :wink2:

Now, you've really opened the can of worms!! >:)

The only benefit of being a volunteer mod ,,,, LoL

·
Registered
187 Posts
My experience with the new, 2017 for me, wing transmission, is that it takes some miles before it gets better. My new '17 was not a good shifter and it was noisy. Now with 20k on it, it's almost like my '02 was when I traded it in. I used Amsoil's 10-40 Motorcycle oil and filter in the '02, in the '17 I use Amsoil's 10-30 Motorcycle oil and filter. HTH

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Your owners manual gives three recommendations to meet with your oil choice. Many oils meet all three, some meet only one or two.

Honda GN4 10w30 or 10w40 meets all three.

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Rail, is that the Rotella T6 you're using? I used that in my 1200 Aspy, and it hated it. Shifting was horrible. I haven't tried it in the 1800 yet, since the Mobil 1 has been great, but Mobil1 is a bit pricey and my pocket book is getting slim.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Rail, is that the Rotella T6 you're using? I used that in my 1200 Aspy, and it hated it. Shifting was horrible. I haven't tried it in the 1800 yet, since the Mobil 1 has been great, but Mobil1 is a bit pricey and my pocket book is getting slim.
Mnt rider...Just speaking for myself, I have had very good luck with the T6 in multiple bikes (just not my Wing...YET...as I haven't had her long enough.) It will eventually get put in the GL crankcase because of all the positive experience I have with it. A fine product and the price at WallyWorld is OH SO RIGHT! >:)

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts

Nope but gonna soon. I bought a pallet full of T3 years ago with buddy , about half price per gallon anywhere . I will be out some time this year . When I had my KLRs those dudes swore by that oil. I lost a counterbalance shaft which destroyed engine on 08 klr and after I tore it fine I found zero wear and super clean after 36,000 miles on a big single thumper . I was amazed and convinced on that oil . But to each their own and I know as I had to moderate way too many oil threads to know , oil is a conversation best left unchallenged . :wink:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,820 Posts
Thanks, that's quite a testament. Looks like I may give the Shell a go.

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
Thanks, that's quite a testament. Looks like I may give the Shell a go.
What you need to know also is I was changing oil every 3 k before it puked . Let me see if I can dig up a pix of that engine head untouched clean wise . That pix if I can find it as I am tearing it down . I was blown away . Been wrenching for 40 plus years . Never ever have I seen any motor this clean and it was 6 years old . Let me look quick. :wink2:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts