GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this site and it looks like a wealth of knowlegde is here. I'll be purchasing my first Goldwing in about a month. I'll be trading up from a Roadstar Silverado. Would like to get opinions on what options you would get from the factory and which ones are better left to aftermarket additions. Don't want stuff that ain't worth the money only to be replaced by better stuff later. I'll be using this bike as my commute vehicle (80 miles each way) so I would like feedback on what is a necessity and what things are just nice to have (I want it all but some compromises must be made to keep SO happy). Also, I live in Las Vegas. Anybody recommend a great dealer here for purchase and service. Also, anybody know of a local Goldwing club, would like to get there opinion on the local shops. I really look forward to being a part of this family. See ya on the road.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
the short answer would be ALL OF THEM :D :D :D

the first thing you should look at is the TULSA BELLY PAN, next UTOPIA BACK REST, after that it will depend on your bank balance.

TBB* made the mistake of adding all our "accessories" up and so far we are at $2200.

good luck and have fun

*Throttle boos barb

·
Registered
22 Posts
jmac00,

Why a belly pan first? What does it do and why would anyone need one? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, It's just that I can think of a lot of other things to add on before I would even consider one.

This and a back rest would be way down at the bottom of my list.

:-/

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I bought items in the beginning that I now wished
the money had been applied towards other accessories.
I think you need to go to at least 1 bike rally, if not
2. Walk around all the Goldwings comparing what is
different on their bikes. Speak to everyone about their
bikes. Unlike you, I didn't know about this board
before I bought.

Good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
267 Posts
First of all welcome to the board and congrats on you decision to buy the GL1800.

jmac00 beat me to it. I believe the only FACTORY option is ABS Brakes, everything else is dealer installed. Go slow and shop around, look at other bikes for ideas and buy what makes you happy. In other words, personalize it. Some have to have's are CB and antenna, fog or driving lights, wind deflector or two. Extra chrome, led lights, cup holders, rear seat speakers, taller windscreen, pin striping etc etc etc are nik-naks you can add later. It took me all of 6 weeks to spend $2200.00 on extra stuff, including CB of course.

The GWRRA web site (gwrra.com) will lead you to clubs in your area. You can join GWRRA if you wish but not required.

Good Luck on Vegas!!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Picked up my 03 at the end of last Aug. My approach (do to lack of $$) was to ride and let my body show me what accessorys I needed :D So far, the only need for long distance riding I have are crusie pegs for myself and SO. What I thought I wanted in Honda accessories I really don't. Have put EC road lights on, rear speakers, going for the back off brake light unit next weekend. My suggestion is let you riding determin your needs/wants.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about communications and sound. I will be riding two up and really like the idea of talking to my SO without screaming or turning my head. Also can't wait to be able to listen to tunes while cruising. The sound of loud exhaust all day is way tiring. Is the Honda CB worth getting. How about the stereo? Decisions, decisions. Keep it coming, thanks.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Oh yes...headsets for talking with your SO is a given...I have Air Rider and J&M is available, chatterbox being another...talk with those locally to see whitch sound best.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
1.First and formost your new wing should be ordered or purchased with ABS (Anti-lock brake sys.)
2. Like jmac says. Tulsa Belly Pan...it protects the coolant bottle and
lower portions of the bike and helps with crosswinds. It blows pretty good in Vegas if I remember correctley.
3. The CB which is on sale right now from the board sponser is not a necessity, but could coem in handy in case of a brakedown.
4. Baker or Tulsa Mirror Wings........cuts down on the cold air around the hands and takes wind off of your passenger.
5. A Backrest of some kind for long distance riding. Your going to get tired of everyday 160 mile round trips and a backrest will really help out.
A lot of people use the Utopia................
6. Hey ! Good Luck and welcome. Your gonna love her Big time ! :yes2:

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Jerry L said:
jmac00,

Why a belly pan first? What does it do and why would anyone need one? I'm not trying to be a wise guy, It's just that I can think of a lot of other things to add on before I would even consider one.

This and a back rest would be way down at the bottom of my list.

:-/
PROTECTS THE RESERVOIR TANK, the genius engineers decided to put the tank in (what I consider) to be a vulnerable place. I have talked to a couple of people that have said there vacation was ruined by an "object" hitting and destroying the coolant tank

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
headsets, heated handgrips,CB radio would be a good start. Some have a endless list of options they wouldn't want to be without, I try to keep the accessories to a minimum. After you get a chance to acummulate some riding time you will get a feeling for what you might want added and most additions are pretty simple to add any time.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Welcome Silverstar,
I believe Jerry L was sencere when he said "I'm not trying to be a wise guy", but I don't think that he had a chance to think it through or has not heard some of the horror stories. jmac00 is correct when he suggested a belly pan or some kind of protection for the recovery bottle. Anti-Freeze is not a good thing if get on the back tire. I originally had a smaller version from Ready Products but still managed to get a hole in the back side of the bottle, don't ask how, cause none of us could figure it out. All I know is we were really lucky because when we got home from running pretty hard down the mountain I spotted it. That's when I decided to go with the full coverage. It also protects the leading edge of the engine that will get sand blasted from the front tire.
I would also not be without a bushtec front fender extention. A little pricey compared with some others, but there is none better or as nice looking. I personally didn't want to use one, but again if down the road you decide to install a color matched or chrome cowl the front tire will sand blast them beyong recognition after awhile.
Now comes the fun stuff, but as the others have suggested look around a bit at other bikes. Don't always ask the owner how he likes a given item cause in most cases if it's on his bike he loves it. As you look at other bikes you will see things that tickle your fancy and provide the look you're looking for.
C/B's are a lot of fun if you ride with others, rear lighted spoilers add a nice touch to the overall look. If you are a light kinda guy for around the trunk and saddlebags my personal choice would be showchromes as they have more lens area than chrome and are now in process of doing a color match with molding portion. I have neither so this is just a personal view if I were to add them. Transformer boards are a nice touch and nice for the co-rider to change leg positions.
Aux sound systems, well that can open a can of worms if you're not careful, so as you investigate your options just try to decide what you really want/need to fulfill your needs.
Headsets and the like are going to give you a headache with the various mfg. In fact it would be my guess that like the aux music source you will get more information than you really want or can process.
Always remember that your taste and that of someone else is very likey to vary, so when they say it is the best thing since pop top cans don't believe them, and that includes me. You will have your Wing for some time I'm sure, and the excitement to dress it up is more than one person can stand, but if you race out and try to do it all at once you just might find yourself wishing you had something to do on those off days when you're not riding. So walk through it and have fun.
Goog luck, enjoy and who knows, we just may cross paths one day!
Gary & Mikey

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, it seems that the wait and see position is probably what I will do as far as accesories. I definately want to go with the ABS for safety. I'll take all the help I can get when it comes to handling the bike. The mechanicals will be no problem for me but the electricals (Stereo, CB, headsets) are a little vague. I guess more research is definately in order. Thanks everybody for the kind welcome and the much appreciated advice. See ya.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rear speakers were a breeze to install. CB radio I had someone else do, as I was uncomfortable trying to do the install while I was not familar with the bike. Glad I did, took the machanic who really knows Wings a little over an hour to install. Would have taken me all weekend!!

One of the very nice things about the 1800 is that most accessories are "plug and play" meaning that the electric connections already exist, you just have to plug the items into the proper connections to activate. Makes most installs very easy, even for folks like me who are not very mechanical.

Good luck, you will love it...

Michael

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
First of all welcome to the board and congrats on your new ride. As others have said, get the Tulsa Belly Pan. Go to Honda Direct Line for the best deals around. I've got almost $3,000.00 worth of accessories on mine, & just ordered $791.18 more. I hate a bare wing.
http://hondadirectlineusa.com/

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Add ons

Congrats on getting a great bike. You will LOVE it. Has mins since Dec 00, and has most of the added junque. For the initial shot, I would recommend the ABS - in fact, if would insist on it. It only take once, and anyway, you will recover most of the cost when you sell the bike. Great Safety feature. All the rest of the stuff is deal added.

CB Radio - pricey, but OK is you are a group rider, beats any aftermarket additions. Depends on what you plan on doing for riding. I like mine.
CD Changer - I have it, its pricey, and I like a tack-on Roady XM radio better. Could substitute another MP3 player, also. Not a must-have.
Belly Pan - I have one, can't tell any handling diference, but it has a bunch of dents, and not expensive. Am not sorry about it.
Rear Seat Speakers - Get aftermarket. I have Hondaline, they are not as good as others I've heard, but cost more.
Helmets - Don't go for price. Get what you feel best with, and is comfortable. I prefer the flip fronts, but your choice. I only plan on using it once, and it better hold up at that time. I have an expensive head.
Headsets - Again, go for the quality and what you like. I prefer J&M Modular mostly because of quality and service, others prefer other brands. Just pick one that fits your need, be it music, comm, or both.
Trunk Spoiler - Yes. Nothing like a brake light that is up where it can be seen by the guy behind you. Makes me feel seen when I step on the brake pedal.
Driving lights - Up to you. I have them, use them, but the bike has the best lighting I have ever seen on a bike without adding them.
Backrest
- Sure makes touring a lot more comfortable. Utopia seems to the the popular choice, and that what I have. Its worthwhile.
Transformer boards - If you take a passenger, give a second place for foot position. Great aid in their comfort, not worth having if you are a solo rider. Wife loves hers, would not be without them.
Windshield - Honda stock one works pretty well, but others have diferent wants and needs. Wait until you have a few miles.
Jacket - In Arizona, I sure would find a mesh blow-thru jacket for the summer. Likely even an evaporative liner to put in it. We have Joe Rocket Phoenix and Sahara liners. Again, depends on you.
Credit card - a must. HDL loves them.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Re: Add ons

IR Harry said:
Congrats on getting a great bike. You will LOVE it. For the initial shot, I would recommend the ABS - in fact, if would insist on it. It only take once, and anyway, you will recover most of the cost when you sell the bike. Great Safety feature.

Belly Pan - I have one, can't tell any handling diference, but it has a bunch of dents, and not expensive. Am not sorry about it.
Trunk Spoiler - Yes. Nothing like a brake light that is up where it can be seen by the guy behind you. Makes me feel seen when I step on the brake pedal.
Driving lights - Up to you. I have them, use them, but the bike has the best lighting I have ever seen on a bike without adding them.
Backrest
- Sure makes touring a lot more comfortable. Utopia seems to the the popular choice,
Jacket Again, depends on you.
Credit card - a must. HDL loves them.
The above list would be fairly accurate. :s27: One point when you get the trunk lid spoiler fitted make sure you include the E/C harness to make the spoiler light work as run and brake. :yes2:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Red hit it right on. Also there are the modulators - both front and back. I had Kisan on both ends, but when running on our two lane roads without limited entry, I got stuck out front by a my buddies(?) that prefered the modulating light out front to run interference. They then invited me to take the ones off the rear, cause the flashing brake light bugged them. Go figure.

And there are the other things that go on later as you change. Heated grips for those evenings where you went too far. Cargo Keepers because you got too much crap in the saddlebags (I think they are a necessity...:lol:). Blind spot mirrors so you don't have to keep turning your head. Lighted controls so you can find the switches at night. Cellset so you can answer the phone on the move.

I must have forgot forty things.....Port-a-pottie? Roll of Crown Z's finest? Bigger trailer to put it in? Hitch to pull it with? Hey, lets just go for a ride...

·
Registered
287 Posts
IR Harry said:
Red hit it right on.

Harry, Please get my handle correct. :yes2: Im a very sensitive person. :weeping: There is a person with the handle RED who looks like a crocodile on this board, :croc: and I dont want to get mixed up with him. :mad1: My handle is Big Red. :yes: Thank you and Happy Saint Patricks Day. :luck:

:luck: :rw1: :luck:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts