GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what others think is the best or most comfortable part of a lane to ride in, and why.

When I'm by myself I ride all over the lane using the whole thing.
But say its a 4 lane and I go to pass someone I try. Pull over to the left lane and stay close to the right so the car or truck can see me in the rear view.
If its a Big rig I do the same till I get up next to the rear of the trailer and then move left a little and pour on the coals so as not to be next to them any longer than I have too. As a Trucker I know they appreciate this.
It use to be said riding in the middle of the lane was Bad because that's where all the oil is. I noticed that this doesn't seem to be as big a problem these day. Better sealed engines don't seem to leave that slick stripe down the middle anymore.

If I'm leading a Group. I tend to chose the Right side of the lane. Don't really know why, I just do. I guess it has to do with being where I want when We go to pass others.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
To the right or the left (not the center), depending on which side gives me the best/longest view of the road ahead.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I still try to stay out of the center anyway. That's usually where you find road kill. Even if you are following a car at a relatively safe distance, by the time the car in front of you uncovers something dead on the road, there isn't much time to react. If the dead something happens to be in the tire path of a 4 wheel vehicle, it's usually flattened pretty good and no big deal if you run it over.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I use the entire lane for several reasons.
When riding in moderate traffic conditions, I like to adjust so I keep an eye on the left outside mirror. I figure that's the easiest mirror to keep an eye on the driver (ideally).
Like you, I get away from the Semi's and larger trucks ASAP. Again, position for exposure in that left hand mirror as much as I can and roll on the throttle.
Right side of the lane for left turns and left side for right turns. Adjust for road quality, traffic volume and idiots.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I may be missing something? When leading a group you ride on the right? That position would put you on the side next to the emergency lane? So that would mean you would need to cross in front of the rider at is next in line in order to pass slow moving traffic. Or did I miss something here.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Leading a group................Left 1/3 of the lane & also most other times,
especially in traffic. I think it gives me a little more "cushion" when cages try to share my lane.
the hobo

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I agree with hobo, Left on the right causes too many problems I want to see the road ahead. If a problem is developing ahead I wanna know asap. It also gives me a better view of traffic in the rear.:agree:

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I was wondering what others think is the best or most comfortable part of a lane to ride in, and why.

When I'm by myself I ride all over the lane using the whole thing.
But say its a 4 lane and I go to pass someone I try. Pull over to the left lane and stay close to the right so the car or truck can see me in the rear view.
If its a Big rig I do the same till I get up next to the rear of the trailer and then move left a little and pour on the coals so as not to be next to them any longer than I have too. As a Trucker I know they appreciate this.
It use to be said riding in the middle of the lane was Bad because that's where all the oil is. I noticed that this doesn't seem to be as big a problem these day. Better sealed engines don't seem to leave that slick stripe down the middle anymore.

If I'm leading a Group. I tend to chose the Right side of the lane. Don't really know why, I just do. I guess it has to do with being where I want when We go to pass others.
I ride where ever I have the best visibility and others have the best visibility of me.

And unless you're at an intersection, the center isn't all that greezy but I do try to stay out of the center 12" of the lane.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
I typically cruise in the left 1/3 of the right lane of a multi-lane road. If I am following a leader who is in that position, I defer the right 1/3. The center 1/3 is more prone to tire hazzards and I prefer to avoid it. When passing a vehicle which is in the right lane of multi-lane road, I use the right 1/3 of the left land so I am (1.) directly in their side-view mirror and (2.) I am staking-out MY territory. On the twisties I use almost the whole lane to set-up my turns and to get best down range vision, but I limit my distance to the center line by peripheral sighting off of my left mirror (I believe credit for that tip goes to Yellow Wolf and it works nicely). In reality, our roads are getting in pretty poor condition and often I find myself using that part of the lane that is least pot-holed and cracked.

prs

·
Registered
471 Posts
I typically cruise in the left 1/3 of the right lane of a multi-lane road. If I am following a leader who is in that position, I defer the right 1/3. The center 1/3 is more prone to tire hazzards and I prefer to avoid it. When passing a vehicle which is in the right lane of multi-lane road, I use the right 1/3 of the left land so I am (1.) directly in their side-view mirror and (2.) I am staking-out MY territory. On the twisties I use almost the whole lane to set-up my turns and to get best down range vision, but I limit my distance to the center line by peripheral sighting off of my left mirror (I believe credit for that tip goes to Yellow Wolf and it works nicely). In reality, our roads are getting in pretty poor condition and often I find myself using that part of the lane that is least pot-holed and cracked.

prs

ME TOO...:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I ride in the right or left track, usually the one toward the center of the road. If I'm on a four lane road, in the right lane, I'll ride in the left track. If I'm in the left lane, I'll ride in the right track. I try to get the best view down the road and also be in the best position to "command" my lane. I don't want to give a cager a chance to squeeze me out of my lane by giving them an opening.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I may be missing something? When leading a group you ride on the right? That position would put you on the side next to the emergency lane? So that would mean you would need to cross in front of the rider at is next in line in order to pass slow moving traffic. Or did I miss something here.
Good Point.
I don't lead many rides, so this is why I asked.
When Leading I try to make sure everyone can get over. I usually lead 1 bike, But up to 5. I turn on my left blinker and let others start getting over so I Don't usually have to cross in front of them. Plus the guys I ride with Don't ride My arse. This leaves me in the Right hand side of the Left lane so the Cage can easily see me in their Left hand mirror.
But You do bring up a good point and something to think about.
This would mean that to lead right I should stay in the left of the right lane then shuffle everyone and stay in the right of the left lane?

Leading a group................Left 1/3 of the lane & also most other times,
especially in traffic. I think it gives me a little more "cushion" when cages try to share my lane.
the hobo
I don't seem to have near as many cages come over in my lane when I'm in the right side of the left lane than when I do the far side.
I have seen cagers really Cranking their heads around looking for me, but if I stay right they can see me. If I see them looking , I pass faster.
I do my best Not to piss other drivers off.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Be careful with that "the center isn't oily like it used to be" idea when you come to Tennessee. In the hills, they still keep a drum of used oil to fill back up before going to town. Keeps the 'skeeters and roadside weeds down, you know. I always watch for a new stripe indicating they put the wrong size oil filter on and blew the whole oilpan-full out on the way to town. I once had to drive like on ice in my car because a pickup was oiling the road down about 10 minutes ahead of me on a wet road. Would never have made it on the bike. County came out and sanded it when I called.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
ok i will post something that will get alot of ya mad but here goes

on the interstate and when passing trucks its best to be in the right track"yes i said right" track till you get to the cab of the truck then move left as the wind will be high at the ft of the truck

why?if you move to the left track and the trucker has to change lanes in a hurry you wont show in his regular mirror,you will show in his convex mirror but he mite not have time to look there!

i drive 3800 miles a week in a big truck and can tell you that for a fact,and for the folks that worry about a tire falure on a truck,one near going howls very loud before it blows!!!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Ok I get it now. The bike behind you checks the lane ahead to make sure it's clear. Being the leader on the right coming up on an 1800 wheeler or group of them doesn't give much of on coming traffic or if there is dumb a-- driver just sitting rolling along beside the truck and not passing. Also now I understand you are talking about a free way with more than one lane in one direction. When leading in a group my wing rider is riding staggered and is at least 2 sec. behind me. This gives me the ability to see ahead of the vehicle in front to set up the pass (works especially well on two lane rodes) using the cb I will tell group or him to get ready to pass. No cb, use hand signals. By riding staggered with a 2 sec gap the wing riders helps protect the right side from the dumb a-- encroaching on the leaders or the riders space that are on the left side, just as you protect the left side of your lane. This is just my 5 cents worth, little long for 2 cents.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Mostly in the left part of the lane. Heavy rain in the middle when the left and right have more water in the ware ruts.

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
No flame from me! When I pass you or other big-rig, I wanna see your face in your mirror.

prs

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts