GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered my new Falken Ziex ZE-912 195/55R-16 tire last week. Should show up this next week. As this will be my first excursion on the Darkside I need tire pressure advice. What pressure should I start with? I have an extra wheel so I can have it mounted up and ready to go. I have a 2008 airbag 1800 with 7200 miles on the D250 tires. Still have tread on both tires but before the end of summer they will be done. I am thinking about going with a new front tire also. Recommendations on the Front tire?
Thanks!
Bill

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Bill, most Falken users find 44 psi a good value to start with. If not satisfied you could play with the pressure, up and down, in 2 psi increments. I personally ran 44 in mine and never changed it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a higher pressure than I'm running in my D250! What kind of mileage should I get from this tire?
Thanks again!:bow:
Bill

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Bill, you can't really go by what others say they are getting. There are a few guys on here that get 6-7k miles out of any tire they put on while others are getting 20k. A good rule of thumb that seems to have merit is that most usually get 25% greater mileage out of a CT.

Regarding the higher pressure, the Falken has a thinner sidewall and to avoid sidewall flex in the turns, a higher pressure is needed. Some of the non run-flat tires, such as the Toyo will require 49psi to suit my riding preferences.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Ogrebro,
There probably isn't a front tire for the GL1800 that offers more traction than the Bridgestone 709. If you are looking for maximum tread life then the Battalax BT-45R (bias ply) is your best bet. I would run either one of them at 36 PSI. As far as the pressure in your Falken, I would start at 30 PSI (or 32 if you are a big guy) for solo riding and 36 for two-up. You have to realize though that anything anyone tells you on this BBS (or any other for that matter) will be contradicted by someone else. Do your research and make up your own mind. After all, you are going to be riding on this tire.
MM

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Bill, most Falken users find 44 psi a good value to start with. If not satisfied you could play with the pressure, up and down, in 2 psi increments. I personally ran 44 in mine and never changed it.
:agree:I ran mine 44-45 psi most of the time and wore the center out, but there wasn't many curves.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info guys! As soon as I get it on I'll report on my observations.
Hope I like it as much as as I think I will.
Thanks again!:bow:
Bill

1 - 8 of 8 Posts