GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just starting to shop for a trike. I want a 2013/2014 Level 3 GL1800. What are some of the major differences or advantages between Motortrike, CSC, or Hannigan trikes? Those are just the three I have seen around. So many, how to choose?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think they're all good. I'd buy one that can be serviced close to where you live if possible.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Just starting to shop for a trike. I want a 2013/2014 Level 3 GL1800. What are some of the major differences or advantages between Motortrike, CSC, or Hannigan trikes? Those are just the three I have seen around. So many, how to choose?
OH BOY, did you ever ask a huge question! You will get a ton of beliefs...

Aside from obvious design and options differences there really are few things that separate the various kit manufactures. Motor Trike is the shortest then comes CSC, Champion, Lehman followed then by Hannigan and Road Smith. Shorter equates to quicker response in twisters while sacrificing some ride smoothness. Of course the opposite is true when looking at the long wheelbase kits.

Each kit has strong and weak points. I'd suggest you ride as many different trikes as you can before choosing. Don't forget to consider the installer. A poor instal can become a horror story in a hurry.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jerry..does the longer wheel base affect gas mileage? What about braking and weight carrying abilities?

·
Registered
734 Posts
Jerry..does the longer wheel base affect gas mileage? What about braking and weight carrying abilities?
All of that will be pretty much equal regardless of kit choice.

As mentioned before having a servicer close by that you can trust is not a bad idea. I do all my own wrenching so it me that was not a big deal.

·
Registered
502 Posts
When you buy a Trike make sure that it will have everything you need and want since they are expensive you won't be buying another one for a while, and you can't worry about the fuel mileage. Good Luck in your search.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Where you are located in La. this is your best source as they show to build three brands Motor Trike, Roadsmith and California Sidecar. Also show to maybe have something in stock.
They are a Honda / Yamaha Dealer and its about 40 miles away from you - http://www.friendlyyamaha.com/index.htm in Baton Rouge. Maybe give you a good trade-in and as they build trikes shouldn't have warranty problems. Get references of past customers to contact about their build quality.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
As a person who's owned both a MotorTrike and now a Roadsmith, I can tell you that I for one definitely prefer the longer wheelbase of the Roadsmith! She just has a more comfortable ride and also seems to be more "planted/sure-footed" in the road. With that said, I'd suggest you also consider Hannigan. They make a great unit as well!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I was shopping last year for a trike kit. I found a dealer in Litchfield, IL (Niehaus Cycle) that sells and installs CSC, Lehman, & Roadsmith. We also have a friend with a Hannigan trike That we have ridden. We spent all day riding the different trikes and talking with the sales manager. They all have pro's and con's. First, you'll need to decide if you want solid axle or independent axle. The solid axle handles better in the corners but the independent axle provides a smoother ride. The rear trunk door on the Lehman was goofy. It pops "out, then up" but you need to bend way down to look inside. The CSC & Roadsmith hinges at the bottom, making it easier to see inside the trunk. As soon as we rode the CSC, we both said it rides too rough. CSC has the shorter of the three that we rode. The choice boiled down to Roadsmith or Hannigan. The Hannigan & Roadsmith are very similar in cost but the deciding factor was the installing dealership. The closest Hannigan dealer was about 400 miles from home and the closest Roadsmith dealer was 250 miles from home. We are now the proud owners of a Roadsmith trike.

Whatever trike you choose, get the rake kit for the steering. It makes a huge difference.

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
THE EXTRA WHEEL IN THE BACK :shrug::shrug: :lol::lol::lol: COULDN'T RESIST .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
I see you are wanting a level 3 bike for the kit. I'm looking into trike kits myself and have ask a few questions and one was about ABS and was told not all kits will use the ABS system. I don't know if it's true or not but I think it's a valid question to ask before deciding which kit.

·
Registered
342 Posts
wheelbase lenghts taken from manufacturer website:

Roadsmith HT1800 is 78 inches
Roadsmith HTS1800 is 78 inches, Roadsmith does not specify if this is with or without the rake kit

CSC cobra is 80.7 inches with power trac
CSC viper is 77.5 inches with power trac

Hannigan is 77 inches with steer-lite kit
Hannigan generation 2 is 77 inches with steer-lite kit

Champion is 72.5 with EZ steer

Motor Trike Adventure is 69 inches
Motor Trike Razor is 69 inches
Motor Trike Fastback is 70 inches

Lehman Monarch is 72 inches

·
Registered
522 Posts
Very True, depends on the kit.... ask first about kits prior to getting a new bike and disabling the ABS... good point!!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Makes a bit of difference whether or not you ride with a passenger often. My wife much prefers the longer wheelbase and the IRS. So do I! Having a trusted installer not far away is a handy thing, emphasis on the trusted part! I have one of those. All I can say is this: I have not had one single serious complaint about our RoadSmith over three years of use, long and short trips totalling more than 20,000 miles. We've basically had NO problems. I do most of my own routine maintenance. We've ridden this machine and worked on it less than any other we've ever owned. We had a GL1500 with a CSC solid axle kit that was a good machine, but this one is head and shoulders more comfortable and pleasant to ride. Ask my wife!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
All good units! Couple of points to considers: 1) Retaining ABS - I know CSC can retain this feature as I have it. Some would argue it is no longer a true ABS system as the sensor for the rear is on the driveshaft instead of each wheel. All I know is it works for me. 2) Additional gas capacity - All add an additional tank but CSC locates it's tank (slightly smaller than others) where it gravity feeds to the main tank. Others utilize a pump to move fluid from the aux. tank to main. 3) Trunk capacity - some are larger which sure is nice!

Best advise is to look at them all and ride if possible. I know that all the trike suppliers usually offer test rides at the annual GWRRA Rally (Wing Ding).

·
Registered
522 Posts
ROADSMITH is #1

I have looked at them all, for 2 yrs. prior to triking mine. I narrowed it down to Hannigan & Roadsmith / went to different dealers / installers and looked at what was under the body and Roadsmith came out #1, by quite a bit... apples to apples with what was Standard Equipt. vs what we wanted to add... still #1.... heavier construction and not as many moving parts... nearly straight driveshaft, all automotive available. Mine is a 2003 with 2012 HT1800 Kit, 5.5 rake kit, 5G aux. tank, nerf bumper, chrome wheels, HD Sway Bar, Dash Adj. Preload Suspension and Wing Guards. Along with other goodies we added...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Where you are located in La. this is your best source as they show to build three brands Motor Trike, Roadsmith and California Sidecar. Also show to maybe have something in stock.
They are a Honda / Yamaha Dealer and its about 40 miles away from you - http://www.friendlyyamaha.com/index.htm in Baton Rouge. Maybe give you a good trade-in and as they build trikes shouldn't have warranty problems. Get references of past customers to contact about their build quality.

This is where I bought my 2008 GL1800 from....the one I totalled in November of last year.
I do all my own maintenance and never had to use them for anything, but others I know like them. I was there last week looking at Motortrike and a CSC. Didn't ask to drive, just looking. The CSC appeared to sit up higher in the rear while the Motortrike was more level.

Exactly what is the rake kit??

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was shopping last year for a trike kit. I found a dealer in Litchfield, IL (Niehaus Cycle) that sells and installs CSC, Lehman, & Roadsmith. We also have a friend with a Hannigan trike That we have ridden. We spent all day riding the different trikes and talking with the sales manager. They all have pro's and con's. First, you'll need to decide if you want solid axle or independent axle. The solid axle handles better in the corners but the independent axle provides a smoother ride. The rear trunk door on the Lehman was goofy. It pops "out, then up" but you need to bend way down to look inside. The CSC & Roadsmith hinges at the bottom, making it easier to see inside the trunk. As soon as we rode the CSC, we both said it rides too rough. CSC has the shorter of the three that we rode. The choice boiled down to Roadsmith or Hannigan. The Hannigan & Roadsmith are very similar in cost but the deciding factor was the installing dealership. The closest Hannigan dealer was about 400 miles from home and the closest Roadsmith dealer was 250 miles from home. We are now the proud owners of a Roadsmith trike.

Whatever trike you choose, get the rake kit for the steering. It makes a huge difference.
And what have thought the IRS was better in the curves and ride smoother. Thought solid shaft trikes were a thing of the past.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have rode both and would not even consider a straight axle. The IRS will ride much smoother, especially for the backseat rider, and it will handle the twistes just as good.
as far as durability, the straight axle might have an advantage but after putting over 30,000 miles on my CSC without any problems, I don't have any durability concerns.
The best thing you can do to choose the right one for you is to ride the kits that interest you and make up your own mind to which is best because I have never met anyone who didn't think that the one they were riding was the best:lol:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rake Kit is like Power Steering and is needed, IRS - Independent Suspension is what you want.... Read about details on different kits most all should set about the same unless the rear suspension is jacked up , here's some sites to visit:

http://www.trikeshop.com/trikes/ Roadsmith HTS HT 1800

And this one site has most of the others: http://cruiserlinks.com/motorcycle-manufacturer-directory/trike-manufacturers-conversions/

Just make a list of options you like by mfgr..... some do not offer many options, your spouse is important / keep her happy and your happy!!!

Longer wheelbase smoother ride / but your installer is as important as what you pick - the search begins..... Happy Smiles in Your Future

1 - 20 of 56 Posts