GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going on a long (not sure how far, but will probably riding 7-10 days) solo ride next year and was wonder what I should take in terms of safety gear, spare parts, tools, etc. Also what accessories have you guys found to be useful on long trips.

Thanks

·
Registered
168 Posts
GPS

·
15 year Member
6,870 Posts
WestsideCougar said:
I'm thinking about going on a long (not sure how far, but will probably riding 7-10 days) solo ride next year and was wonder what I should take in terms of safety gear, spare parts, tools, etc. Also what accessories have you guys found to be useful on long trips.

Thanks
Sleep, brains, water, cellphone, goldbook.

Matt(Ashland,MA)

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
Tire plug kit.
Slime (or other) mini-compressor for inflating flat tire.
Oil filter (if you don't have a belly pan). You can buy oil anywhere.
Rain suit.
Honda spray cleaner with rags (never know when you may need to clean windshield between hotel stops).
Multi-tool.
Maps or GPS.
Monkey Butt powder.

Bob E.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Nestor's idea was probably the best one :D Other than that I would agree on a small compressor and tire plugger. Then whatever tools you think you would be comfortable with but certainly some allen wrenches and some kind of adjustable wrench at a bare minimum. Protective wear for whatever kind of weather possible. After that whatever you can stuff here or there. If you take Nestor's advice you will of course have less room for your stuff. :D

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.

Nestor, the point of this trip is to do it on my own. The wife and I spend all of our non-work time together doing various hobbies that we both enjoy. We met my first year at college (1989) and have been together ever since. We just celebrated our 11th wedding anniversary. I love her to death, but I feel I need to finally go off and try a new adventure by myself. She can join me on the next bike vacation, but this one is for me.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi Doug,

Consider all or some of the things mentioned already. Plus, I have been considering the Kuryakyn Grandtour Bag, which is available from Honda Direct Line, the sponsor of this forum. It is number #4141 in the catalog!

It is kind of pricey, but it looks sturdy, and provides a backrest!! Wow!

Also, I received a Cycle Pump for my birthday, and I will give a report in the future on this unit, but so far I can say, it sure does pump up a tire, quickly!

Jonar G., aka, the original WHITEFANG

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
oldguy said:
Nestor's idea was probably the best one :D ...... If you take Nestor's advice you will of course have less room for your stuff. :D
If you take Nestor's advice, add a trailer to the mix! :p

Bob E.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Use this list as a guide. It is my maximum list. You may choose to delete a lot and add a few items.

Packing List for Gold Wing

MAINTENANCE SUPPLIES
Car wash towels
Pledge (lemon)
Tire pressure gauge

FIRST AID SUPPLIES
Adhesive tape
Alcohol
Band Aids, large
Band Aids, medium
Gauze pads, large
Gauze wraps
Scissors

TOOLS & RELATED ITEMS
3/8" socket set (include 8mm socket)
Convertible, needle nose, wire cutters
Coolant, 1 qt.
Duct tape
Fuel, 2 qts
Infrared temperature gauge (from Radio Shack)
Jumper cables
Metric wrench set
Multi tip screwdriver
Oil filter
Oil, 1 qt.
Small 12 volt air compressor
Small crescent wrench
Strap wrench, small
Tie wraps, assortment
Tubeless repair kit
WD-40

Because you will be going solo, you can pack whatever you want in this:
http://www.luggage.com/Travelers-Club-4 ... W1059.html

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
My best memories from solo long distance adventures come from when things went wrong, not when everything went as expected. All I carry with me when solo riding is a GPS, a couple of credit cards, clothes, a cell phone, and a music source.

One time I got a flat. Didn't have a plug kit or compressor, but a group motorcyclists came by that did. I made some friends for life from that group. I've pulled over a bunch of times to help motorists. Most of the times they didn't need tools, they just needed someone with some ingenuity (or a cell phone). I've pulled into countless parking lots and met strangers that wanted to inquire about my bike, but I would always end up learning more about them than they did about my bike. Those are all the things I remember from my rides, not the countless miles of tar passing beneath my tires.

It is impossible to prepare for every eventuality. If you bring along patience, a good attitude, a desire to make a positive impression on everyone you meet, and the eagerness to learn about others then you really don't need to carry much. Your biggest adventures with the most positive and long lasting memories come from those moments when you are stopped, not when you're motoring down the highway.

Gawd.... I just re-read my post. Sounds pretty lame. But I've always been a glass-half-full kinda guy.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Dang it Bill, ya almost made me spew pepsi on my wife's new laptop!

Dep

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Despending on when you plan to take your trip, I suggest a map to either Woodbourne, NY or Montrose, CO.

Arn Butt, you planning on leading a contingent from GA to NY in June?

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
yeah, now you tell us no wife. :D :D Well in that case take everything. You'll have plenty of room left over. :D :D

·
Registered
146 Posts
oldguy said:
yeah, now you tell us no wife. :D :D Well in that case take everything. You'll have plenty of room left over. :D :D
Plenty of room at the house when you get back too ....

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Montrose, CO is on my shortlist (and moving up). :D Sounds like it will be a great time for riding and meeting a bunch of you crazy guys and gals. If I start practicing now I might consider doing the SS1000 on the way there.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
twyn said:
Arn Butt, you planning on leading a contingent from GA to NY in June?
I might be able to do a 3-day weekend this year; depends where I am on the project I'm working on. It's scheduled to be winding down in June.
I'm sure that Toyo wants to go. My whole fam damily lives up that way.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts