GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After looking at some of the rides with videos, think its time to get a camcorder and go for a ride. Those that have experience with camcorders, what is your recommendation? I am a complete beginner when it comes to these things. What should I look for? Type of memory? Size? Batteries? Mounts for bikes?

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
jake4440 said:
dont bother!!! :D
Now there is a good answer...GEEZ!

Go to Best Buy or Circuit City and pick a camera that you like. I would stick with either DVD or Digital Video, depending on how much you want to spend. Of course you can buy MUCH better, but keep in mind the size.

For the mount, get a RAM mount. Very easy to install. Mounts to your handlebar on either the clutch or brake reservoir bracket. This is the simplest and least expensive.

If you want to go all out, check out, check out Helmetcamera.com or Viosport.com. That will give you some ideas. Mount the camera to your bike or helmet.

You can also read Fred's review on the Helmet Camera setup. This will give you some good information.

http://www.angelridevideos.com/reviews/helmetcam.html

Bartman

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
we've looked into getting a small camcorder to carry on the bike so Gwyn can take shots while we cruise along. One feature that I suggest is the is the motion one (forgot its technical name) where it smooths out the video. I don't think I'd want one mounted to the bike, but that's just me.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Go to Fred H.'s website, I think he bought a helmet Cam. he may even have a review of the thing.

Gezz I can't think of it right off hand. But send Fred H. a PM ( private message) and ask him what he thinks of his cam-corder

·
Registered
300 Posts
all good answers but mine
twyn is refering to image stabilization or is for short
also you want to consider what format the cam writes to the disk as in -r +r or what ever as some formats dont rear on other dvd players off the top of my head i dont remember which one is most popular with the players. just a real thought. other than a wise crack sort of payback.
and also where will you carry it and so forth
ive seen facy set ups with just the cameras mounted on the bikes exterior and the recorder im the trunk .obviously very costly this way. just giving ya some thoughts. also take into consideration what type of batteries the cam uses. if its spoecifice to the cam then get a secodn one ya keep charged so ya got a back up.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I don't recall the specifics, but if you use a helmet cam etc you need a camcorder with the proper audio/video plug ins. Not all camcorders have them.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Harry,

You might want to check with Tom from Firecreek as he is in the process of getting his bike set up for video. I know that he did a lot of investigation before he bought.

Redeye

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all. And thanks, Jeff. Is he coming to the 2.5? But I may already have one by then....

Figured some have been thru this before, and I am not into reinventing the wheel....

·
Registered
411 Posts
I don't believe he is going to make the 2.5. Something about work! I am going to miss it also as Cara 's birthday is that weekend and a big party is planned for her 60 years young celebration.

Redeye

·
Registered
435 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts