GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since bike tires come in even size widths (180, 190, 200, etc) and CTs come in odd size widths (185, 195, 205, etc), I'm curious what size would be used to keep the same overall diameter. A 205/55 would be bigger in diameter than the OEM rear tire, but a 205/50 would probably be smaller in diameter. A 195/55 would probably be smaller in diameter, while a 195/60 would probably be a larger diameter. How would a person determine which size comes the closest to the OEM tire?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am running 195/55/16 Bridgestone drive guard. The darksideinfo website has list of what other people have used this tire seems most popular for the 2018. The site also has a size conversion list.

·
Love The DCT
11,312 Posts
Here is some info for ya.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I started out with Michelin Alpin PA3 RF ZP 195/55 16,
but I found that particular tire exhibited "too much" Stand Up Straight tendency for me.
it would follow big truck car tracks badly and try to climb up on the ridges.

I have read of a narrower tire, which interests me greatly, as it has been remarked to feel "more like a m/c tire"
Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D DSST RunOnFlat - Size: 175/60R16

I like the fact, that a RF ZP tire can get us home, or to a repair shop, instead of just "blowing up in our face" and sending you off into a ditch.

As of right now, I have gone back to a Dunlop E4 which I really do like the way it handles.

I have 2 spare rims, so I can now easily switch back and forth to see how I like a given tire.

·
Registered
634 Posts
--

This is the pictoral site I use to compare:

--

·
Registered
16 Posts
Should not be to wide the 2018 has 6" wide rim. I have seen a different post of people using 205. One of them had problems with rubbing trailer hitch. I take my wheel of out the rear of bike while on center stand a 205 would probably be a tighter fit but i have not tried for myself i just know that 195 does not have much room to spare coming out that way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
the 205/55R16 does fit into the swing arm, but the wider width will make it want to "stand up" more so than a lot of people want to experience, and it will climb to the high side of ruts causing the bike to change directions.

I had the Michelin Primacy Alpin RF ZP 195/55R16 for 3 years, finally took it off, simply because where I live, most of my trips are less than 5 miles.... Oologah is 1 mile from north to south, east to west.

I just simply got tired of having to muscle the bike on turns at 25 mph ( our speed limit ), it now has a Dunlop E4 and couldn't be happier.
I have 3 rims, so can swap back to the CT if I am going to take a very long ride. 5 minutes to swap, lay it over, change it and go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts