GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What Size tap is it . To tap out or chase the threads. on where the seat bolts on . The Steel bolt is a 8X 70 MM .
thomas

·
Registered
78 Posts
FWIW - I chased the threads on my seat bolts right after I got my bike. I'd highly recommend it - made a big difference!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
What Size tap is it . To tap out or chase the threads. on where the seat bolts on . The Steel bolt is a 8X 70 MM .
thomas
I gather that since you are asking, that you don't have taps & dies. Even a cheap set will come with a thread gauge that will tell you the thread pitch.

Harbor Freight has them starting at $12.99, Metric or SAE;
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39384

I have a cheap set that worked fine but had no metric pieces so I went to Sears and got the metric set (about $40 I believe). They are handy to have around the shop.

Also while on that subject, round off the ends of the bolts, (put a nut or die on first to clean up the threads after). Then take a drill bit several sizes bigger than the bolt and round off the squared shoulders of the bolt holes in the frame (kinda like a shallow counter sunk hole) then run either the seat bolt or a tap through from the inside to clean up the threads. These two things will make a world of difference in starting the seat bolts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seat bolts

For what it's worth, I just finished putting my new Russell :cool:saddle on the bike. I tried a new trick and it worked. Before putting the saddle on, I took each bolt and carefully placed it at the hole just before it began to grab the thread and marked the top of the bolt with a dab of my wife's nailpolish. Each bolt is marked specific to the bolt hole in the frame. I used the dab to position each bolt when putting the seat back on and it worked without a hitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts