GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 1800 Goldwing 48000 miles RED
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am chasing down a leak. I found where it is coming from to drip below the bike. Only a quarter size drip.
Light Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Motor vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Take off cover on right side that covers the area where the dip stick and oil fill is located.

I noticed that rectangle hole had some slickness around it. I rolled up a paper towel the size of a cigarette, stuffed it in that hole and came out with a soaked paper towel. It could be anti freeze. It took about ten times repeating the paper towel role,soak,remove before it came out dry. Then I took the bike out for a ride and did the same thing again but only got a soaked paper towel two times and no leak under the bike.

How could anything get in that hole?
I overfilled the antifreeze badly at the cap under the right fairing pocket when I changed antifreeze A week back. It flowed all over the right radiator and onto the garage floor. Could some of that overflow have found a way into the frame from up there and settled in that low spot on the frame right below that rectangle hole where it comes out to drip now?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Hood

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yes, it could have, (but obviously no way to say positively).
When you got the area dried out and then took it for a ride it probably displaced residual liquid from other areas inside that black hole so you were able to find and soak up some more. Probably could do that repeatedly depending on the volume or area involved inside that little pit.
My 2001 doesn't use or leak any coolant all season long, yet both winters while parked when it gets cold enough in the shed, it leaves a small puddle. This reminds me to put the pan under it soon now.

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
Was the wetness on the paper towel have the color of anti freeze ???

When I spill anti freeze under the radiator cap, I rinse the cap area down well with a garden hose. I'll also rinse through the radiator with a strong flow of water, and on the underside of the radiator above the fuel injection cover. With the engine cover off, I do the same rinsing forward across the top of the head.

Since 5th gens have like 44 hose clamps, the best way to find a coolant leak is to use a pressure tester.

Reactions: ssncob

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'd listen to what Gregg say's........Make's alot of sense.
I also did what Gregg did when I replaced my radiator fluid, this year, I also spilt it, cause I poured in new fluid toooo fast, and up it came..[got to pour it back in real slow] I do not own a pressure tester...
Question here: [just a thought here::] Would an auto parts store loan us a tester to use???

Ronnie
11/15/21

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
Would an auto parts store loan us a tester to use???
Other members report that they do. However, not sure if their kit has the addapter to test the cap also.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Auto zone has this kit which has the right fittings:

You have to use a credit card to "rent" it but if returned in the allotted time, it ends up being free. However, these rental tools are not always the best cared for. It worked just fine when I did it but another member a few years back said the one he "rented" was broken. It doesn't appear to be available at all locations too.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I like the Harbor Freight tools, they may be on the cheaper side, BUT if you only use them once ~n~ a while , I find that they work very well..............and quite accrete..... Why spend big bucks on a tool that you'll use no more than once a year, or even less..............Plus I like to visit the store, I feel like a kid in a candy shop, When I was in HVAC business (now retired) I'd buy all my tools from them..and still use on a regular basic, even now.................
Ronnie
11/25/21

1 - 8 of 8 Posts