GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here, First CT. I was wondering what tire pressure I should start at for a non run flat. 44 psi about right?

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Depends on the tire. As a rule of thumb, 40 probably isn't a bad place to start. 44 is a decent start point too. You will find folks run all sorts of pressures, so don't think a number is carved in stone. Play with the pressure till you find what YOU like. Going dark is all about taste and is personal. It is all about you for the pressure, find what fits the best.

·
Registered
393 Posts
what kind of tire is it

·
Registered
37 Posts
soupy sales

I run a kumho nrf and I run 38 the max on this tire is 41 I don't now what tire you're running but I wouldn't exceed it's max:eek:4:It seems to work very well for me one up or two we've put 5000 miles on it

·
Registered
37 Posts
soupy sales

I'm not quiet sure what you're talking about I'm new at this are you saying I should exceed the max tire presure :?:

G

·
I'm not quiet sure what you're talking about I'm new at this are you saying I should exceed the max tire pressure :?:
No it's a long story - I am being facetious, sorry.

popular opinion is run 35psi+

I disagree so therefore I am wrong. Here you must agree or you are wrong.

Aside from that one thing is proven, even if you do everything wrong pressure or otherwise the tire will still perform adequately.
Rear tires are very forgiving. If you understand physics then you can figure it out on your own, otherwise join the herd. :?

·
Registered
393 Posts
I'm not quiet sure what you're talking about I'm new at this are you saying I should exceed the max tire presure :?:
that is too much air, try 32-34

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Most run around 42-44psi, some run less. It's a personal thing. I would start out at 44psi and drop the pressure until I found what worked best for my type of riding for that particular tire.:thumbup:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
New member here, First CT. I was wondering what tire pressure I should start at for a non run flat. 44 psi about right?
Like jwolffie said, need to know what type of non run-flt tire. People are running as high as 49 in some non run-flats while some are running low to mid 30s...that is quite a range.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
Like jwolffie said, need to know what type of non run-flt tire. People are running as high as 49 in some non run-flats while some are running low to mid 30s...that is quite a range.
:agree: Some have real flimsy sidewalls like the General G-max and has a maximum of 51psi. The Sunny I run has a max of 44psi. I run different psi depending on the tire I run. And yes I know we have you totally confused by now. Play with the pressure and you will find what works best for you!:thumbup:

G

·
What you might want to ask yourself is "why do I want to change to a CT?"

That simple question may be the answer in itself.

If your tired of the cupping, howling and poor sportbike radial performance and wish to upgrade then a CT is a good choice. If you get flat tires everyday the I guess a RF is for you. However if you want a softer ride and longer tire life then things get more complex. If you want more grip then no matter what you do it's just a guess.
There are no real facts concerning what CT does what at any given setup. Lots of guesses and imagined results but no formal testing has ever been done, it's all guesswork. I have always maintained only one thing is fact. If you wish to run 44 psi in a tire that is rated for 32psi and 900lbs then it will work but tire life will suffer. If your logical and think then thing will be much better.
If you want a transparent transition from MC tire to CT then you need to study the physics and use common sense.
Study the postings on this board and you will see average life is 16-20k which is pretty poor on a tire that is rated for 50-60k. There are plenty of videos on youtube showing how a CT corners on the edge like a 2x4. Most of those are running 35-44psi.
And also keep in mind 44psi is 44psi no matter what kind of tire you use. And a tire that is so stiff it does not require air is not going to provide much in the way of suspension especially when it's inflated past the recommended values.

So where do you start? Where everyone starts - 44psi :lol:

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I run a kumho nrf and I run 38 the max on this tire is 41 I don't now what tire you're running but I wouldn't exceed it's max:eek:4:It seems to work very well for me one up or two we've put 5000 miles on it
That also include your running max weight - do you weigh half a ton?
Storm, since your mission in life is to provide as much confusing and nonsensical information is possible, why don't you just restrict you postings to the OTE forum. Go away.

G

·
Storm, since your mission in life is to provide as much confusing and nonsensical information is possible, why don't you just restrict you postings to the OTE forum. Go away.
Oh I think the general drift here takes care of the nonsensical just fine. Did you happen to read any of the posts - 44-59 psi?
Nothing nonsensical about that!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Storm are you high? This man asks for a reference and all you have to offer is jibberish. :wrong: Yes I did read the other guys comments too about the 59 PSI on a tire. He has about as much to offer as you do.

Go ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
soupy sales

thanks travelinlite like I said I'm new at this and some of these post can be a bit of the wall and being a newbe I'm trying to learn as much as possible I know at this point I PLAN ON STAYING ON THE DARK SIDE the things I have read on this forum have been very helpful but all I can say it's been great

G

·
Storm are you high? This man asks for a reference and all you have to offer is jibberish. :wrong: Yes I did read the other guys comments too about the 59 PSI on a tire. He has about as much to offer as you do.

Go ride.
And your contribution is what?

·
Registered
19,161 Posts

You know I would never stir the pot.

So let's use a scientific formula!

We have heard of PSI of 32 and 59, and everything in-between.

If we take 59+32 that equals 91!

Now divide that by 2 and we get 45.5.

So all the arguing can stop!

When the smoke clears, run what feels good to you!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
If it's a Falken yes MY opinion is 44 works best. Otherwise I start at 40 psi and play till I find sweet spot. Take what you want on this post and leave the rest.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts