GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

What tire did you crash on?

• Dunlop E3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dunlop D250

• Bridgestone

• Avon

• Metz 880

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about dicepilot's crash and others and thinking about my own, I wonder if there is any connection with conditions and tires.

I was on a set of E3's that had a couple thousand miles on them and the roads were wet.

Non ABS on that bike but the new one is ABS.

How about you??

G

·
Well a truck backed over me once but I was parked. I had Dunlop radials at the time so I guess they are real bad for being backed over. :lol:

I since have switched to Avon bias plys and have never been backed over since. :wink:

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I voted for E3's because that is what was on the bike when I crashed. With that being said the tires had nothing to do with my crash.

I had Hwy pegs mounted on the horizontal engine guard bar per the manufacturers instructions. When I pushed it hard into a right hander the Hwy peg mount was dragging hard and lifted the front tire. To the ditch on the outside I went. There were also "rumble strips" (the grooved pavement type) down the center stripe which I believe also further contributed to the loss of traction of the front wheel. But, I firmly believe the hwy peg mounts were the root cause of my crash.

I was not riding fast (GPS showed 41 in a 45 zone), I was following 2 other wings and a VTX. I was distracted (my bad) just prior to entering the curve, so I was way late on the setup and really cranked on it trying to make the turn without leaving my lane. The result was this:

The Hwy pegs on the new bike are mounted very high on the vertical engine guard bars and have been checked to see that they will not lift the front tire before the engine guards do. The pegs are not quite as comfortable in this position as they were on the horizontal but I am much more comfortable riding my wing than I am in an emergency room.

I would strongly encourage anyone that has anything mounted on the horizontal engine guard bar to consider this very carefully. You do not have to be riding aggressively to need the full capability of the bike.

For what ever it is worth, I was on the ride when TonyB, of this board, crashed. I don't think he would mind me saying, as we have discussed it more then once, that the root cause of his crash was the same as mine. Hwy peg mounts on the horizontal engine guard bar. Tony was on Bridgestones, they don't get any better traction in the air than the E3's do.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I voted for the E-3 since that is what was on the front. The front did break loose on wet pavement. I had 10K on them with plenty of tread left, but a good flat strip from highway miles.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
This is sorta like what I brought up in dicepilot's thread. But in order to get a more acurate read on it, perhaps the question should be amended to read:

In accidents where loss of traction was the primary cause... what tires were you riding on?

If you T-boned a cage turning left in front of you, levered your wheel off the ground with a cruise peg, or got run into from behind... for the purposes of the question, the brand/type tires you were riding probably isn't relevant.

However... gotta love that expert analysis from storm!! I agree with Max... that's funny! :lol:

Just my thoughts,
Tom

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just click on "View results" under the poll.
I haven't crashed either, but was curious to see the results of the poll.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It would be a "p!ss poor workman" that did not consider the circumstances that caused a problem in attempt to avoid a future problem.

I am a workman and I constantly upgrade and improve the tools in the box and the techniques I use to improve the final result.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I haven't crashed either, I have used every kind of motorcycle tire that is out there I think, so can't blame it on the tires, I guess.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't these results need to be normalized by the number of tires for a given brand on the road or total miles driven for each make? Seems like the results would be slanted towards the tires with the most distribution and utilization.

For example, if all the tire makes were equivalent, then the tire with twice the distribution and utilization would look twice as bad as all the other tire brands even though it had the same accident rate.

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Blind Yak said:
Don't these results need to be normalized by the number of tires for a given brand on the road or total miles driven for each make? Seems like the results would be slanted towards the tires with the most distribution and utilization.
Well... it's never going to be a scientific poll. Too many other variables, like the one you just mentioned are possible. The list of options to choose from would be endless.

I haven't dumped mine at speed yet either, and I pray that I never will. And I'm not yet at the point of 'blaming the tools'.

Still... I'm curious.

In my business, we look for trends... common factors... and similarities in accidents & errors. The entire Air Traffic Control Handbook (FAA Order 7110.65) is written in blood. I’ve got a copy of the first such “order” from the old CAA, and it’s a mere 20-something pages long. The current copy of that order is now well over 500 pages of rules, regulations, and procedures to be followed to ensure that the same ‘cause of action’ or ‘casual effect’ of an incident/accident does not repeat itself.

Now, the mere fact that certain incidents may contain a common trait or occurrence is not in itself judged as conclusive… but it is at least worth investigating.

I was just curious if some parallels could be drawn.

If, say, we had 10 people go down due primarily to loss of traction because their tires slipped… and then we found that 8 of those people were running, say, Metz 880’s… well in my book, that might be worth investigating.

Were the same tires on front & rear?

What type of road? (super-slab, rural road, gravel?)

What were the road conditions? (dry, wet, loose gravel on the side… etc)

What was the rider’s experience & rider education level?

Etc…etc…etc.

If, at the end, you find a majority of similarities… well then now you have something to work with and base theories on.

Just thinking out loud,
Tom

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I was on Metzeler's with about 14,000 on them,but the tires had nothing to do with the accident,so I didn't vote.

It is definitely true that you will go where you are looking.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I am a workman and I constantly upgrade and improve the tools in the box and the techniques I use to improve the final result.
I got the best hammer in the world - and it still bends nails. Guess its the box.

Lets see, if we all used Flintstone 500's, and some crashed, then all the crashes were on the Flintstone 500s, therefore they were bad tires. Am I missing something here?

I would think failure to maintain control would be a cause of a crash - unless you were backed over, of course.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I didn't crash! What are you trying to imply and how do I answer?? Should I just make a prediction?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
By the time the poll matures I think we will simply be seeing what percentage of each tire is used by Goldwingers. Tires are one of the least likely causes of accidents. There are other things that require much more attention than the brand of tire.

I use E-3's and have never been in a crash. Does that make it the safest tire? Of course not. I'm switching to Stones in a few miles. Does that mean I'm headed for an accident? Nope. Thats what DaleC uses and he's kept the bike upright its entire life. His riding style is similar to mine.

Bottom line, I don't think this poll will tell us anything regarding accidents.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Maybe we should all get wobblers. The shaking will keep us awake, slow us down, and pack down the DQ burgers.... :lol:

·
Registered
269 Posts
I just wanted to say thanks to all who have been open enough to share their mishaps and especially those who have posted what happened. I have not seen any wrecked wings before.

On a lighter note, the common lesson I am learning from all the pictures in this thread is that I am going to be at additional risk since all the wrecked bikes in this thread are black and my 1800 is black as well.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Hey Fuzzy, was that on hwy 7 in Arkansas. Just wondering, that is the only place i have encountered the rumble strip in the center of the road so far.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts