GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Arghhh...Its been one of those days:mad1:

I just bought/received a new Yuasa battery since mine has been getting weak and I'm heading to Americade soon. So I put the battery on the shelf in the garage and started activating it with the acid container, then came in for dinner. I went out to put it on a slow charge and found the battery in a huge puddle of liquid...which turned out to be the acid:shock:

Further inspection revealed the case is cracked, so the acid is leaking out, now what? I guess I'll call the vendor who sold it to me and see what they say...

Batt-1.jpg Batt-2.jpg

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Same thing happened to me 2 years ago.

Get a box of Baking Soda and sprinkle lots of it on the acid in order to neutralize the Sulfuric acid.

Pour the acid in a plastic pail and dilute it with plenty of water before pouring it somewhere.....perhaps a gravel area or sewer. Do not let it contact copper or brass drain piping.

I called Direct Line Parts, who originally sold it to me, and told them. They sent me a new, free, battery and did not want the old one returned.

gramps

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I had the exact same thing happen. Now that there is acid in the battery it is not technically legal to ship it back to the vendor. I was advised just to trash the bad one and they sent me out a replacement at no charge.
Once the acid is all absorbed by the plates, the fact the case is cracked does little harm. I went ahead and just ran the cracked battery and kept the good one for a spare, but this was on a 1984 Aspencade I wasn't very fond of so acid potentially leaking out the battery onto the motorcycle was not a concern.

·
lightley seasoned member
3,082 Posts
Who did you get the battery from?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Battery

Sounds like you had it shipped? Was it thru E-bay? If so you should have buyer protection. If it was a local vendor, should be just a replacement.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who did you get the battery from?
A forum sponsor.

Sounds like you had it shipped? Was it thru E-bay? If so you should have buyer protection. If it was a local vendor, should be just a replacement.
Yes, shipped from a forum sponsor not an eBay sale.

They have been contacted, I have absolutely no doubt I'll get a replacement in a timely manor.

I guess since this has happened to at least two others, a careful inspestion should be warranted for any battery you get shipped in BEFORE activating it.

·
Registered
16,865 Posts
Get a stout polyethylene bucket such as a bakery bucket and put the whole mess in there and put the lid on. Clean up and mess with soda ash and plenty of water after the bubbles stop. The vender will tell you to take it to the local auto parts store for recycle fodder.

prs

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fresh replacement shipped within 1 hour of reading email with the problem.

Probably got cracked in shipment. Yuasa -->Vendor -->Us -->Customer. That battery has been handled many times and has many miles on it before it ever gets installed in the bike. Who dropped it, handled it improperly etc? Nobody will ever know.

Only thing that is important is to make the deal right and satisfy the customer. Then we can deal with the problem, when it is no longer a problem!

PS: Ken. I have a JD 728 and not so over the moon with it. I have the 7 Iron 60" deck and I believe that it is too large for my small areas. As far as the 52" snow blower, I have never had a better one.

Bulldog

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Bulldog! Mighty fine of you to step up, I wasn't not going to mention where it came from. As a small business owner myself I appreciate what you've done for me, I FULLY understand how your taking a loss on this:bow:

If you every need help on the JD stuff, come visit my forum...it was linked in my email signature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts