GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend we went on a 3 day trip with some friends. We where able to pack all we need for the 3 days, and so for longer trips we would like to purchase a trialer. My question is, what do you do with your trailer when you are out for a days ride and plan to return back to the hotel. During the day do you take the trailer with you or find a location at the hotel/motel to chain it up to or what? Leaving a hitch lock and chain the wheels will on slow a theif down, they just a couple of fellow thugs to lift it into a truck and bingo it is gone with your stuff inside. What if the hotel or motel doesn't have a place to chain it to?

Ideas, suggestions or comments please.

·
Registered
19,050 Posts
lock and chain it to a tree or post

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've never had an issue keeping the trailer hooked up to the bike the whole trip. I lightened it up by putting the heavy bags in the room. It made it real easy for us to pack day trips and not worry about leaving anything out. It also gave me piece of mind that it wouldn't end up missing.

·
Administrator
3,569 Posts
I don't take mine off my bike just for a day ride. I rarely even knows it's back there, it doesn't slow me down, and doesn't affect my bike's handling or mileage.

Due to temporary living and working arrangements while selling a house I'm making an 80 mile commute between work and two homes several times a week. My trailer comes in so handy for hauling supplies and tools that I just leave it on in case I need it.

I've come to think of my Tailwind sort of like I do my Glock. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.;)

YMMV
Glen

·
Registered
605 Posts
I my opinion there is no way to really secure a trailer. Most chains that people use can be easily cut with a bolt cutter. I do use a hitch lock and have never had a problem. Now that I said that just watch next time I go out someone will take it….. At night I always attach the trailer back onto the bike using the hitch lock. There are some locks that are very hard to cut without a torch. On the other hand someone could easily cut the tongue. I know these are not the answers you wanted. If there is a way maybe someone else will have a good idea
Ride Safe
Dick

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
you can leave it on or take it off your choice. I suspect if someone wants to steal it bad enough they can get it at night chained or attached to the hitch. I pull mine and chain it. My chain would be hard to cut with a bolt cutter. I personally want mine off for day rides since I do think it makes a difference in the twisties. JMO

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I am normaly at a campsite and never worry about leaving my trailer there...
When traveling long distances when I have to stay in a hotel which I don't like(i'm a camper)...I just leave the trailer hooked to the bike,because i'm not staying long 5-6 hours...On the road again

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Normally the trailer simply stays attached

If we do leave I cable and lock to a tree, post or other suitable object...seems to work.

Some others seem to worry about their trailers being stolen....is there some sort of crime wave out there in the US of stealing tow behind motorcycle trailers??

Seems like this is not something to be concerned about, a non-issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If you are staying longer than one day contact a local winger maybe they would have a place you could store it. Most motels will let you lock it up there with a cable of some sort either to a post or some other stationery object. Most of the time I just pull mine wherever I go keep it locked to the bike.

"ALL A LOCK WOULD DO IS STOP AN HONEST PERSON"

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
If I'm riding with a group who others have trailers, we put the tongues together and chain them to each other. If I'm alone, I chain it to a lightpost, guardrail or some other fixed item. Motels are usually understanding.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Guess I need to get a better trailer...

I have left my Leesure Lite trailer all alone in hotel parking lots in Sacramento, Fairbanks, Phoenix, etc and no one has ever bothered it... Guess I need to get a better trailer...:shrug:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Life is too short to worry about someone stealing your "stuff". That's what insurance is for.

Leave it behind, if it makes you feel better put a chain and lock on it, and have a good ride.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
If it's just my corider and I, we take the trailer with us. If it is an entire group of riders w/trailers, we chain the trailers together.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I think the people with the uni-go trailers have no problem because you can wheel it right into your room.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I chain ours to a pole or to another trailer. Never had a problem.
Locks only keep honest people honest!

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
I have left my Leesure Lite trailer all alone in hotel parking lots in Sacramento, Fairbanks, Phoenix, etc and no one has ever bothered it... Guess I need to get a better trailer...:shrug:
That sounds like us at Apple-Cade. We just parked our Aluma with a bunch of BushTecs. Figured any thief looking for a motorcycle trailer would know the difference. Most Hotels are very understanding if you explain the situation and since you are coming back for another nights stay they usually let you chain it up out front where a thief doesn't want to run the risk of being seen by the reservation desk.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Chain and lock it. have never had a problem.

·
Registered
571 Posts

I just lock the trailer and leave it..
never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts