GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was working on changing spark plugs. Right side went ok...when I started trying to get the left headcover off to access the sparkplugs on that side, 2 of the three bolts at the bottom of the cover were stuck and ended up wringing off. Apparently they must have been cross threaded from factory as this is the first time these covers were off since new. My question is, how do I fix this? I will probably silicon the heads of the two bolts onto the cover for now until I have the information needed to repair and get new bolts. Ideas? Let me hear them. Thanks

Greg

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Drill them out and use Heli Coils if they were cross threaded. If they were just over tightened, you might be able to use a easy out. Then clean the threads.

·
Registered
755 Posts
As stated above easeout would be the first attempt for me. That and some good penetrating oil...soak over night prior to attempting the easeout. If they really were cross-threaded you will likely need to heli coil them.

I

·
0 Posts
The odds of those bolts being cross threaded at the factory are slim and none, and Slim left town. All manufacturers these days use torque sensing air or electric guns to install bolts, and a cross threaded bolt would probably not be driven home. The wrench would shut down.

That said, if they were cross threaded somehow, penetrating oil will do no good. If they were seized by corrosion, (my guess) it may help get them loose. In any event, it sounds like you may have to use an EZout tap, and possibly insert a helicoil to repair the threads.

Good luck.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas. I investigated further. ie, got down on the ground and looked the situation over a little further. seems as though the one the is still protruding from the threaded hole looks as though it doesn't go into the hole straight. No evidence of corrosion at all that I could see. The other one which broke off inside the hole I can't tell. Seems strange though that the two that broke were the ones on the ends and the middle one was ok. Looks as though these holes are part of the upper cover which wasn't removed. I may just let the center bolt hold it on until I park for the winter and make the repairs when I do the valve clearance check and other projects over the winter months.

Greg

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If you're going to try penetrating oil, don't use WD40. You want something like PB Blaster, available at Menards and other places like that.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Lucky Phil said:
If you're going to try penetrating oil, don't use WD40. You want something like PB Blaster, available at Menards and other places like that.
Why Phil, enquiring minds need to know :oops:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Globetrotter said:
Lucky Phil said:
Why Phil, enquiring minds need to know :oops:
It's a water displacer (the wd part). It may work for lightly stuck parts, but there are much better penetrants out there.

(BTW, the 40 part of the equation is that it was the 40th recipe they came up with that worked the way they wanted it to).

·
Registered
185 Posts
IBTrike said:
The odds of those bolts being cross threaded at the factory are slim and none, and Slim left town. All manufacturers these days use torque sensing air or electric guns to install bolts, and a cross threaded bolt would probably not be driven home. The wrench would shut down.
Wrong. I found 2 bolts cross threaded on my Titanium 06 and one of them was holding the brake distribution valve.

The "Honda Quality" can no longer be taken for granted

I

·
0 Posts
acadian said:
IBTrike said:
Wrong. I found 2 bolts cross threaded on my Titanium 06 and one of them was holding the brake distribution valve.

The "Honda Quality" can no longer be taken for granted
Sorry Acadian. I don't buy it. And why were you unbolting your brake valve on a new 06? Sounds ike somebody screwed up those threads up after it left the factory. Dealer or owner cockpit error?

Whatever. Fact is that Honda and Toyota have the highest quality ratings in the vehicle business. That from a guy who drives a Chevy Trailblazer and whose wife drives a Chrysler Sebring.

My 02 has never seen the inside of a dealership for a problem since new. It has never had a problem of any kind. I have never found anything crossthreaded. It has run like a Swiss Watch with zero problems for 4 years.

That said, Honda isn't perfect, and neither is anything else, but they occupy the high ground.

Ride safe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts